Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Head unit w/ aux, plus amp

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-12-2008, 08:15 PM

Freshman Lounger

Head unit w/ aux, plus amp

Hello,

Just FYI before anyone says anything, i searched and could not come up with a answer to my suitation.

I have a Clarion DXZ725 head unit with an RCA aux. in, it is being run though a USAcoustics 65x4 amp.

The amp is powering the front speakers and sub. The rear speakers are controlled by the head unit.

When i plug the ipod into the aux. in, it only plays through the rear speakers(the ones directly powered by the head unit). I assume if i plug it into the amp, it will run through the front speakers and sub only(minus volume control).

How do i need to wire this thing so it will play through the amp and head unit? I assume tapping into the RCA's going to the amp, in addition to having it plugged into the aux. in(on the head unit)?

Is there a ready to buy system for this type of problem? If not, what do i need to do?

Cheers!

Jason

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:12 AM

Senior Lounger

Well, I am kind of having a hard time picturing the problem, but you could always use a splitter to both of them. Maybe run a iPod car charger that has 3.5mm output and then run that to a splitter and then 2 RCA cables: one to the amp and one to the stereo. There may be a better option though.

8G 1st gen iPhone (for sale)
16G iPhone 3G White (for sale)
32G iPhone 4 Black
Old 01-13-2008, 01:07 PM

Freshman Lounger

Hey,

Yeah that is what i was thinking. The only problem is, i cant control the volume if i hook the RCA's directly to the amp.

Let me try to clear up the wiring.

HEAD UNIT:

I have 2 RCA's going to the inputs on the amp

I have one set of Aux. Inputs.

AMP

I have the two RCA's going into the amp. One set powers the sub, and the other set of RCA cables are inputs to power the front speakers. The back speakers have a direct line from the stereo line on the head unit.

I have one set of inputs on the amp.

When i plug the ipod into the inputs going into the head unit, it only plays out of the rear speakers. This means the input on the head unit is only sending its signal out of the actual speaker line, not the RCA(and thus into the amp).

If i plug the ipod directly into the amp, it will play out of the front speakers only, and i dont have volume control on the head unit.

I was trying to figure out a way to wire it so i can

1. Have volume control with the knob on the head unit
2. Have it play out of the front and back speakers

Does this clear up some things?
Old 01-13-2008, 02:37 PM

Insanely Sarcastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88accordlxcarb
How do i need to wire this thing so it will play through the amp and head unit? I assume tapping into the RCA's going to the amp, in addition to having it plugged into the aux. in(on the head unit)?
NO! I don't own a Clarion so I can't say with certainty but what u propose is generically wacko.

If your current setup already works for radio/CD blah-blah, there is zero reason why going through the AUX jack is different. Recommend spending quality time with Clarion manual. May wanna post your Q at mp3car.com. Here, not much car traffic if u notice.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:29 PM

Freshman Lounger

If i detected a hint of "i am stupid" in that post, i assure you, i wouldnt be posting on this forum if i haven't exhausted my options. Plugging into the aux. in produces a sound out of my rear speakers only.

But, thank you, i will go to that site.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:33 AM

Insanely Sarcastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88accordlxcarb
If i detected a hint of "i am stupid" in that post, i assure you, i wouldnt be posting on this forum if i haven't exhausted my options.
Not at all, human in general, tend to disdain reading the manual, it's more fun to just DO IT. But if u already done all your homework, I apologize I could not read it between your lines. Plus this problem is highly irregular, reason I thought it maybe Clarion's specific and hence the manual reference.

Topic: Head unit w/ aux, plus amp

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.