Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Cambridge Sound Works vs. Bose. Which one?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-09-2008, 04:13 PM

Freshman Lounger

Cambridge Sound Works vs. Bose. Which one?

I'm about to buy a ipod home system and am undecided as to which one I should get.
I have a pair of CSW Ensemble speaker and I love them. But I also really like Bose products.
One of the things I am looking for besides fidelity and volume is (and I know I will get this wrong) is that spatial aspect where the sound is filled throughout the room and if you close your eyes, you cannot pinpoint where it is originating from. The Ensembles have that, does the Bose?

I am looking for people's experience with both.

Also, what about cheaper solution like the iHome? Are they worth it?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:33 PM

Freshman Lounger

CSW makes a far superior product. Use Google and do some reading up on Bose to see that not everyone thinks very highly of their products. Of course, ultimately you should go into a store and listen for yourself.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:36 PM

Freshman Lounger

I have uses CSW products for years. CSW offer in general better sound for less money. I have owned many CSW systems not due wear and tear but, because of my ever changing needs. I still use products I purchased 12 yrs ago and still sound great. Recently I purchased a Boston Acoustic table radio for my iPod and I blows away the Bose Wave radio, though I sent $150 instead of $500 for it. I would have paid the retail for it. It had more features than that of Bose or CSW. I'm not anti Bose but in short: CSW is better for less money. The build is generally better and the sound is incredible.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:45 PM

Junior Lounger

does boston acoustics make an ipod dock?
Old 01-14-2008, 03:48 PM

Junior Lounger

try them yourself...

I own several CSW & Bose systems.. and like both of them. Its hard to get a feel in the showroom unless you can hook up these systems to matching driver gear in the same space...

However...

I still think Bose makes some of the best gear when you consider size and performance. Its easy to get impressed with their wonderful 'tweaked' marketing audio soundsamples... but if you take a serious look at them, they are really pretty good. CSW makes very nice gear too (and here is the big part) at an often significantly cheaper price.

Since someone mentioned it - Boston Acoustics was one of my first loves in speaker systems. They are worth checking out.

So - this post was no help whatsoever I expect.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:50 PM

Junior Lounger

Oh.. ps... I have the iHome clock radio. Its fair... not for serious listening, but makes a decent clock radio.

I use the Bose PodDock/portable at work, which sounds fab... but no radio or clock on it which is annoying.

We have the CSW radio in one bedroom...and it sounds fantastic - an older one befopre it docked the ipod. I would opt for this in a second if portability is not an issue with the newer docking capability. These units really smoke if you are not trying to fill a large space.

Last edited by spr02072; 01-14-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:25 AM

Junior Lounger

Well...probably neither...

If you are looking for a very good clock radio for use w/IPOD, get the Chestnut Hill George. One of the few clock radios I know that contains a subwoofer!

Superior sound (no clock radio) in this price range? Probably Geneva Labs Model M or L.

Loud, bass, cheaper, and portable? maybe the HK Play+Go. 120 watts in a portable box with good speakers and good tuning.

Best buy and best sound --- Audio Engine --- check their web site --- the value is incredible.

Topic: Cambridge Sound Works vs. Bose. Which one?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.