CD button on 99 Honda Accord factory radio does not activate CD changer (AUX) - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: CD button on 99 Honda Accord factory radio does not activate CD changer (AUX)

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-05-2008, 11:57 AM

Freshman Lounger

CD button on 99 Honda Accord factory radio does not activate CD changer (AUX)

Issue: CD button on 99 Honda Accord factory radio does not activate CD changer (AUX).

Setup: I have a 1999 Honda Accord with the factory radio installed. I purchased the PIE HON98-AUX and connected to 14-pin blue CD changer on radio. I have a SoundGate AUX3 switch connected to the HON98-AUX via RCA connection. The AUX3 draws power from 12V+ wire on radio and I know it is drawing power as I hear the switch when toggling the button for the AUX3. Both the HON98-AUX and AUX3 are grounded.

My problem: When everything is connected, I hit the CD button on the radio to activate the CD changer and nothing happens. The radio plays as normal. I've read that the button needs to pressed twice, I've tried holding it down for a few seconds and other combinations, but it seems like the radio does not recognize the CD changer. I've also tried various combinations of cutting off the power to the car (via battery) unplugging the HON98-AUX, reconnecting power for a little while, disconnecting power, reconnecting the HON98-AUX, reconnecting power, etc. to see if the radio can "find" the CD changer. But no success.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? My setup seems common.

Thank you

Peter
Old 02-17-2008, 11:25 PM

Freshman Lounger

similar problem with Dension Ice Link PLus and 2000 Honda Accord radio

Hi,

I have a similar problem to you. Unfortunately I don't have the answer though. I have a 2000 Honda Accord and I have connected a different device - Dension's Ice Link Plus - to the connector for the CD changer, in order to play my IPOD through it. I am having similar communication problems - but the problem is varied and intermittent. Sometimes, it does just as you say where you push the CD changer button and nothing changes - the radio continues. However, sometimes it works appropriately. Other times, it eventually connects but just takes a really long time - anywhere from 30 sec to 5 minutes. The times when it takes a long time to connect, it usually does change to CD, but the display says EEE until it actually connects. And sometimes it just stays on EEE indefinately and never connects. When it has been working, if you switch to radio and then later want to switch back - it's a toss-up whether or not it will go back; all the possibilities already mentioned can occur. I have been focusing on updating the firmware on the dension device hoping that would fix the problem, but now it is updated and this problem persists (other issues did improve, but not this communication inconsistency). So now I am wondering if this is just some kind of quirk with the radio. theorys I have considered are the way the cable is routed / and possible electrical interference??? I don't know - I"m grasping. Do you ever get the EEE message? Good Luck! Sorry I don't know the answer.

Shanc21
Old 02-18-2008, 09:22 AM

Pro Lounger

unplug the radio and plug the pie hon98-aux wait a few minutes and plug the power
press the cd button twice and the radio screen needs to change to 1- 1
now you are in AUX mode and you can connect the reast of the wires

if that don't work most likely you have a bad pie interface

good luck
Old 02-18-2008, 04:04 PM

Freshman Lounger

does it work if your key is in accessory position?

I have discovered my ice link plus will work perfectly if the key is in accessory position (i.e. engine not cranked but dash has power)...or if key is in "on" position with engine not cranked. As soon as I crank, it loses connection - as soon as I shut down engine and switch back to accessory, it regains connection?? If your PIE device worked in Accessory too, I would think this might mean engine noise is somehow getting in the line and affecting the signalling/connection?? Any thoughts?

shanc21
Old 02-21-2008, 10:40 PM

Freshman Lounger

A few more observations: Clearly my car probably just has an electrical problem somewhere, but I have further noticed that when the HU is having trouble connecting to the IPOD through the CD changer/Ice Link connection, doing the following things sometimes helps the connection go through: turning on the rear window defrost, turning on the front defrost, or when slowing down gradually with break applied. Also have noticed that if FM is playing, and rear window defrost is pushed, radio signal becomes staticy - however, if IPOD is playing and rear window defrost is pushed - no static occurs. ...... Just observations - maybe they will help someone.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:12 PM

Freshman Lounger

I have the exact same problem - I can switch the radio to CD changer mode when the key is turned in accessory position or on position. Once I crank up the engine the connection is changed back to CD and I can't seem to get it back to CD-C mode. Has anyone found a solution yet? Or do I just have a defective Hon98-AUX link? I have a 2004 civic with stock radio.

Jaidai

Topic: CD button on 99 Honda Accord factory radio does not activate CD changer (AUX)

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.