JBL On Stage Micro Audio Out - One dumb design feature - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: JBL On Stage Micro Audio Out - One dumb design feature

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-01-2008, 04:13 PM

Freshman Lounger

Red face JBL On Stage Micro Audio Out - One dumb design feature

The Audio Out feature of this product is NOT for using the device with an external amp/tuner, ie like any other iPod dock, it is only for connecting the On Stage to another On Stage micro. The Audio Out jack does send out a signal, but at too low a level for an external amp, ie you have to turn your amp up to the max to hear anything at all, and plugging the lead into the Audio Out socket doesn't turn off the built-in speakers like you might expect it to.
This is apparently a deliberate design decision, (I checked with JBL tech support just to be sure I didn't have a defective one or wasn't hitting some iPod Touch chip licensing issue), ie this feature is for all those many, many people who want to spend $200 to achieve stereo from tiny (but cute) speakers!. Just beware that the On Stage micro is not an iPod home stereo dock that you can unplug and take on your hols, it is purely a "use the built-in speakers" device.

Note to iLounge reviewer - the B+ review mentioned the Audio Out feature, so I'd recommend in future plugging the device into an external amp/tuner to see what happens

Happy new year one & all
Old 01-09-2008, 11:43 AM

Freshman Lounger

If you plug a turntable into regular inputs you will get the same effect. Almost no volume. Would it be possible to run it into the phono inputs on an amp? Although a lot of newer amps don't have phono inputs there are small turntable preamps that can be used for the same effect for around $30-$50.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:29 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thumbs up Great Answer!

I have an On Stage at work and one on my desk at home. I have never understood the "Audio Out" Feature. It sounds like a non-feature to me. Thank you for clarifying.

Topic: JBL On Stage Micro Audio Out - One dumb design feature

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.