Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How to get fixed line level output?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-25-2007, 11:49 AM

Freshman Lounger

How to get fixed line level output?

Hi all,

I just got a universal dock for my ipod, thinking it would give me a fixed line level output. (My primary goal with the dock is to output my ipod (5G) to the TV and stereo.) I was surprised to find that the volume wheel still worked.

For audio quality, wouldn't it be best if the ipod put out a fixed level and the stereo did the volume work?

Also, wouldn't I be just as well off to get this?: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nplm=TJ266LL/A

If I'm not gonna get fixed output, I might as well get a single accessory, right?

Thanks for your attention.

by the way, i should add: I'm using the older style dock, since I wanted an S video output.

Last edited by Chancellor Todd; 10-25-2007 at 11:56 AM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:41 PM

Barko Lounger

I use one of these w/ a Xin amp and it gives line level out.

http://www.sendstation.com/us/produc...neout-usb.html
Old 10-25-2007, 01:49 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thank you, that link is very helpful. I may even get it for audio purposes, but I'd then lose the ability to do video.

edited to add: Oooh, it looks like they have A/V products, too.

But that still leaves me with the question of why the universal dock give a variable line level output instead of fixed...

Last edited by Chancellor Todd; 10-25-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:51 PM

Freshman Lounger

Hi,

man i thought i was the only one! It does not do that with the 4 and 5th gen ipods and nano 2nd gen. i just bought a touch and was totally ####ed at discovering this. The 3.5mm connector on the dock is supposed to be pure line out and the dock connector is for power. So what i'm saying is with all my other ipods on the same dock volume is fixed so playing with volume control on the ipod does nothing, but with the touch its variable. i think i'm going to just return this piece of crap! Variable volume uses the ipods internal amplifier, whereas pure line out outputs the sound to your receiver for amplification and volume adjustment

Does anyone have a solution? Do i have to buy the new cable that has a dock connector on one end and composite RCA on the other?
Old 01-09-2009, 04:38 PM

Freshman Lounger

I still don't understand this. I have a 5G Video and when I plug it into the A/V cable I bought from Apple, I get a fixed output. If I plug the A/V cable into the Apple Universal Dock and plug my iPod into that, I have to use the wheel to adjust the volume\line out.

Even the connector I use in my car has fixed line out and I control the volume thru the head unit, just like my receiver at home.

Why does introducing the Universal Dock change this behavior?
Old 01-09-2009, 04:44 PM

Freshman Lounger

After wracking my brains off and on since I posted this (and not wanting to spend money to test equipment), I may have a clue.

I think the dock connector allows for volume control because it's meant to work with the ipod remote control, which can adjust the volume. I personally think it's dumb, because obviously you are going to connect it to something that has its own volume control.

Although I am confused by post #3 above, which seems to say the opposite.

But I am also glad to hear that your A/V cable from Apple gives the fixed output. (And I've also got a car connector that plugs in through the dock connector and gives fixed output.)
Old 01-21-2009, 06:47 PM

Junior Lounger

Line out is through the dock connector. The 3.5 mm connector is for ear phones and must be volume controlled. The rest of the connections through the dock connector are USB, Firewire and charging, no volume control.

Last edited by kurtisb; 01-21-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:17 PM

Freshman Lounger

Chancellor Todd - That makes sense now that you mention the remote. Thanks for the response.

Topic: How to get fixed line level output?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.