Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: how do I play ipod in my car?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 09-30-2007, 11:14 PM

Freshman Lounger

how do I play ipod in my car?

I was just wondering what do i need to buy to play my IPod in my car? Im so confused pls let me know!~ thanks

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:50 PM

Freshman Lounger

There are a few different ways to connect a ipod to a car. list below:

1:FM transmitters (worst cause of quality lost) these are crap but they are the easiest and cheapest

2:cassette adapter (better still some quality lost)

3:ipod to car kit (its hardwired to factory stereo) (best) no quality lost, pretty much perfect cd quality sound in less you have some interference ,it also charges your ipod too (quiet expensive and hard to hook up) currently I have one but I do have the new ipod touch and it doesnt work with it.......

4:aftermarket stereo with aux out put (best) no quality lost, perfect cd sound, easier to install but of course you need to buy a aftermarket deck with aux outs.

if you have any more questions ask away. ive done these all.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:03 PM

Freshman Lounger

ok so the best way sounds to go out and by a ipod car kit? HOw much do they usually cost? and how difficult are they to install? I mean i dont have to make any modifications in my car do I?
Old 10-03-2007, 02:42 PM

Freshman Lounger

here is the site for one

http://www.theistore.com/ipod2car.html#

just take your car to any car stereo installation place they will do it for you. the kit usally costs around 100 bucks (im sure you can find it for that) and it just plugs into the back of factory car stereo so no harsh mods you need to make. i got mine from best buy and had everything done there.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:00 PM

Veteran Lounger

If you deck has an auxiliary input, all you need is a $5 cable.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:24 AM

Freshman Lounger

Which of these solutions would let you control the ipod from the ipod's clickwheel?

I'm not interested in the integrated solutions where the head unit controls it. I want to be able to grab my ipod, scroll to the song I want, and then play it.

Would the XtremeMac Roadshow AV cable do this?
Old 10-10-2007, 11:31 AM

Freshman Lounger

That looks to be an awesome cord. It should let you control your ipod through the wheel i dont see why not, But im not sure about the new ipods. I have the new ipod touch and my car adapter (peripheral ipod2car) doesn’t work for it so id be a little concern
Old 10-10-2007, 08:27 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeatonR
Which of these solutions would let you control the ipod from the ipod's clickwheel?

I'm not interested in the integrated solutions where the head unit controls it. I want to be able to grab my ipod, scroll to the song I want, and then play it.

Would the XtremeMac Roadshow AV cable do this?
A simple 1/8" stereo cable and an aux. input on your deck is all you need. You still retain full control of the iPod.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:01 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley
A simple 1/8" stereo cable and an aux. input on your deck is all you need. You still retain full control of the iPod.
Two questions about that:

1. Will the ipod be running off of its own battery, then, and not beging charged?

2. Does this cord from from the headphone jack to the aux input? Because I heard that sound quality is better when it comes from the bottom port.

These are the reasons I was considering the Roadshow cable, but I'm most definitely open to other ideas.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:34 AM

Freshman Lounger

Yes the Ipod will run off its own battery. and its somewhat true that sound is better from the bottom plug in. but in my case I need to use the headphone jack. none of the new kits car kits really work 100% with the next generation ipods (touch)
Old 10-11-2007, 01:20 PM

Junior Lounger

Oh yea the touch will have some issues. I have a dock in my car that works nice.

Always looking for a Scranton Web Design company.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:22 PM

Freshman Lounger

Im very interested in this XtremeMac Roadshow AV cable. Does anybody know if you require the 12v adapter part to be pluged in for the cables to work? or can you just use the cables with out using the 12v part while driving.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:43 PM

Freshman Lounger

Here's a link to the ilounge review of the cables:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipo...od-with-video/

Although I didn't see an answer to your question about whether the you have to have the 12v line plugged in. I would assume not, but that's just an assumption.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:45 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgeson
Yes the Ipod will run off its own battery. and its somewhat true that sound is better from the bottom plug in. but in my case I need to use the headphone jack. none of the new kits car kits really work 100% with the next generation ipods (touch)
That is correct, and it is the reason why I use a refurbished Belkin Auto Kit I picked up on eBay for $11.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:25 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley
That is correct, and it is the reason why I use a refurbished Belkin Auto Kit I picked up on eBay for $11.
I just bought a new Kenwood cd player with front Aux jack, tried using the mini plug to headphone port on the Ipod and the sound is horrible, I get some type of loud whiney feedback when I listen to it and have to turn the Ipod ALLL the way up to even hear anything, and then I have to turn the CD player up very high to hear anything, and then I somtimes dont hear the volcals, but there is a high pitched whine from the speakers. It also sounds like its just background when its playing Anyone have issues like this connected AUX jacks with mini plugs? Is it because its not connected to the bottom of the Ipoid?

I saw online they have cables that connect to the bottom of the Ipod and have amini plug on the other end for front AUX jack cd players

Topic: how do I play ipod in my car?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.