Best bass response in portable speaker?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

richardshane

Website
www.sleepeasily.com
I want a speaker / dock station small enough to fit in my suitcase when traveling. Tried out a JBL On Stage. Not bad, but I would really like speakers with a better bass response. Perhaps this is not possible in something small enough to travel with. I downloaded the iLounge Buyer's Guide, and it rated speakers but did not distinguish between the larger portables, such as the Bose, and the smaller, fit-in-suitcase portables. Does anyone know which of the smaller portables has the best bass response? If it is the JBL On Stage, I guess I'll settle for that, but I want to be best informed before I make my choice. Thank you.

Richard

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Science has not yet been able to resolve the small+bass issue. Bass simply requires volume, as in an appropriate enclosure. I've seen toffle bags with built-in speakers (neat!) but to get that bass working one would need a more rigid enclosure. I am almost sure, if you have money to spend, and buy that hard suitcase with the built-in subwoofer, so when u get to your destination, take out the junks from the case, close it and turn it on! or build your own!

Last edited:

richardshane

Website
www.sleepeasily.com
Thanks for that info, but my initial response is WAH! I'm wondering if anyone else has heard of science succeeding at what was previously thought impossible: bass + small size. Science has done the impossible in other areas. How 'bout this one?

oluv

ever tried thinkoutside's (now iGo) boomtube? maybe it is a bit heavier and bigger than the on stage, but there is no other speaker of this size that has a deeper bass and runs from battery, the on stage does only run when plugged in as far as i know.
i haven't compared the onstage with the boomtube soundwise, but i have compared the boomtube to many other speakers, and there was not a single one, that could produce such a deep bass and such a high volume.
it is a bit expensive, but it is built like a brick and the sound is really convincing. you'll get about 5 hours out one charge, that is not much, but 40 watt drain a lot of power.

here an image so that you can see the size.

oluv

forgot to mention, that if you want still something small but don't care if it is battery driven, you should have a look at the tivoli model one. this one has the biggest sound in the smallest box. it has really fat bass response and it is still quite portable, but it runs only plugged in, or with a 12 volt power supply, unfortunately no battery. it doesn't matter that it is mono, because at this size you won't notice any stereo-effect anyhow and above all you get a really good radio :)
to tell the truth the tivoli ipal is not a real alternative, because it doesn't sound that good and it distorts quickly at higher levels.