Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: wireless headphones on airplane

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-25-2006, 06:12 PM

Freshman Lounger

Post wireless headphones on airplane

i was just wondering if i bought bluetooth wireless headphones like the naviplays would you be allowed to use them on an airplane?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-25-2006, 09:27 PM

Sound Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbllsm15
i was just wondering if i bought bluetooth wireless headphones like the naviplays would you be allowed to use them on an airplane?

More than likely, no... From what I can tell certain wireless devices are in the process of being allowed to be in use on planes, but they're very few and far between.

Last edited by Jokieman; 11-26-2006 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:23 AM

Freshman Lounger

As far as being allowed to use them...depends. I'd say you have a 50/50 shot. I'd just try it and see if anyone says anything.

As far as them interfering with anything on the plane...I can say with certainty NO. I fly for a living and I can tell you that all that stuff they tell you not to use on the plane is mostly a crock of BS. Maybe if they're aligning the INS's and GPS and your cell phone puts out enough power to fry a cow, but other than that, you're good. I can't tell you how many times I've been in the plane talking on my cell phone while we're flying. It's actually a handy back up when the freq. for Dominoes isn't working and you want to make sure your pizza is there when you land.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:08 AM

Senior Lounger

I dont think that would be a good idea, not because they are allowed or not allowed (i wouldnt know). but because i'm almost certain that you will probably have to blast your headphones due to the airplanes jet noise.

i would get a decent pair of IN-ear-phones. they are great for plane rides.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:12 PM

Freshman Lounger

well the naviplays are the around the ear headphones like the big one's that go all the way over but idk maybe they wont block them?!
Old 11-29-2006, 03:15 AM

Gestalt ID: 406

i have the similar thoughts with what Road Program said.

but i just turn off whatever isnt allowed, although i might use a camera
(digital and/or video) once in while ,whether they restricted or not.

a sennheiser pxc 250 noise cancelling headphone would have to be my toy for airplanes.

ipod 5G 30Gb black / UE super.fi pro black / ipod touch 16Gb / Sennheiser CX 300
PowerBook G4 alum. 1.67Ghz
Old 12-01-2006, 03:08 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Program
As far as them interfering with anything on the plane...I can say with certainty NO. I fly for a living and I can tell you that all that stuff they tell you not to use on the plane is mostly a crock of BS. Maybe if they're aligning the INS's and GPS and your cell phone puts out enough power to fry a cow, but other than that, you're good. I can't tell you how many times I've been in the plane talking on my cell phone while we're flying. It's actually a handy back up when the freq. for Dominoes isn't working and you want to make sure your pizza is there when you land.
Bluetooth is banned on airplanes. I can tell you that the bans aren't completely out of place as a pilot I have heard from other pilots about strange devices causing issues with the instruments. For example one pilot reported one of those electronic laptop like devices for children caused issues with the VORs, deviations upto 10 degrees.

That being said I don't turn off my Bose headphones because it's the same technology as in my Bose Aviation X Headset it should cause no issues what so ever.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:08 PM

Jackonicko
Retired

As someone who has been involved professionally in aviation - flying and writing about aviation and aerospace, I have to say that the evidence that I have seen is compelling - electronic devices can, and do, affect an aircraft's systems (including VOR and ILS), albeit very, very rarely.

The cost of clearing particular devices for use on board is such that it's much easier to have blanket bans on emitting devices.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:44 PM

Lounge Lizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPGMD
Bluetooth is banned on airplanes.
Just underlining this - keyboards and mice are banned, headphones would be just the same.

32GB iPhone 4, 160GB Classic, 16GB 6G Nano, iBasso D5 Hj
Senn PX100-II, HD25-1, Grado HF-1, Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350
Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9, ATH ES10, ATH-CM707, ATH-AD2000
ATH-CKM99

Topic: wireless headphones on airplane

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.