iTrip review

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

pterion

I just got my iTrip from Megamacs (31.99$ plus shipping) on Wednesday, and I wanted to post a review for everyone here thinking about buying one.

First of all, your other options now also include the belkin digital FM transmitter, now available through the apple store. The guy in the apple store here in Towson said he has heard that the sound quaility is very similar to the iTrip, so it really more of a style question. The Belkin is easier to program (it just has a little lcd and keys to chage the freqency). This is fast and easy. However, it uses a battery and has a wire, so not a slick as the iTrip. Plus it is a little more expensive (40$).

As far as the iTrip goes, it was easy to setup and install. If you have windows XP with itunes, just bypass the install program and explore the CD and find the frequency files. Copy them into itunes in their own playlist and you are good to go. If you like to random play songs from you whole ipod, make a new smart playlist that is everying except artist "itrip" and you won't get the itrip stations in your mix.

Programing the iTrip is also easy. Just select your station, press play and the press play again as soon as the LED starts to blink rapidly. Then select a song and press play and listen to it come through your radio.

In the Baltimore area, 90.3 works very well. In both my Audi 2001 A4, and my wifes Ford Explorer, the sound quaility was very good. I did a side by side with songs from a CD I ripped at 128 AAC and you could tell the difference but it was very minor. Certianlly not enough to bother me, and I do consider myself a music lover (but not an audiphile, since I don't own any true audiophile quality gear). When played through my home stereo (Yamaha, fairly high end) it sounded great. I could tell it was not a CD, but that had more to do with the fact that these are compressed files than it had to do with the FM transmission.

The iTrip does suck the ipods battery, expect only about 4 hours of play time at best. So if you plan to go on long trips, get a car charger.

Overall I would highly recommend the itrip. It is very small, and looks slick attached to the ipod. No wires, or worrying about buying new batteries all the time.

I give it a 4/5.

Last edited: