Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: ipod mugging? & Getting mugged coz of WHITE EARFONES!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 11-24-2003, 06:11 PM

Freshman Lounger

ipod mugging?

just a thought i had today, but seeing all these new ipod adverts with black silhouettes and white ipods and earphones, arent white headphones gonna be a bit of a dead giveaway now for potential muggings?
i use sony ones anyway but at the risk of appearing alarmist and ipods being the must have accesory, it would be quite easy for someone to get followed from the subway or wherever because their white headphones are visible.
just a thought.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-24-2003, 06:16 PM

Pro Lounger

Re: ipod mugging?

Quote:
Originally posted by bobbybobby
just a thought i had today, but seeing all these new ipod adverts with black silhouettes and white ipods and earphones, arent white headphones gonna be a bit of a dead giveaway now for potential muggings?
i use sony ones anyway but at the risk of appearing alarmist and ipods being the must have accesory, it would be quite easy for someone to get followed from the subway or wherever because their white headphones are visible.
just a thought.
I find in the UK that a lot of people still haven't heard of the iPOD yet anyway. I seen a lot of advertisements and people with them in London. But anywhere else they are fairly rare.

I use Sony's as well anyway. If I wanted to show-off then I would where the iPOD ones, but they aren't really that practical.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:35 PM

IpodGod

Do you think it would occur to a criminal mind that the theft of an ipod would also necessitate the theft of a computer to get the thing to work?
Old 11-24-2003, 06:39 PM

Freshman Lounger

sure, thieves are thieves and im sure some of them steal to order so if they know somethings in demand they'll do their homework.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:44 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by cberube
Do you think it would occur to a criminal mind that the theft of an ipod would also necessitate the theft of a computer to get the thing to work?
not if they sell it to someone. and like bobby said, sometimes they steal to order :/

I never thought of it like that...could be an issue you never know what will happen i guess. I will only use the white ones while snowboarding personally, otherwise i gotta nice pair of sony's i use too.

12" PowerBook G4 (867 MHz) | 10GB 3g iPod | 10.3.1 Panther
Old 11-24-2003, 07:01 PM

Declined Lounger

I thought that once since I see a lot of white earphones while travelling around.

I go the opposite way though. I'd be quite relieved if they grabbed just my iPod. Not only was I given it for evaluation so it hasn't cost me anything, but my earphones are worth more than the iPod
Old 11-24-2003, 07:36 PM

whitey

I always pick out the iPod people when I'm walking down the street. I know who all the cool people are

30GB
Old 02-27-2004, 07:10 AM

Freshman Lounger

If they were cool, they'd have got some proper earphones for their iPod - the ones you get with the iPod are some of the worst earphones ever made. It's like buying a ferrari, and keeping it in first gear.

Seriously, how can you tell someone with their original earbuds that they seriously suck ###? Would they hit you or be grateful?
Old 02-27-2004, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Yes, in fact there were two recent news articles posted on the front page of this site mentioning that this is in fact happening in both the UK (in London I believe) and in New York City.

3G 20GB iPod | Contour Showcase | Shure E5 | Ety ER-4P
Old 02-27-2004, 11:02 AM

Freshman Lounger

They kinda deserve it - high visibility headphones that scream out "highly desirable, small, easily hidden expensive thing in my pocket!" are just asking for trouble.

Another good excuse to get real earbuds/headphones :-P
Old 02-27-2004, 01:29 PM

nanolicious

Mugger grabes victim.

Mugger "Give me ur iPod"
Victim "I don't have an iPod"
Mugger "Your wearing iPod headphones"
Victim "I found them in the garbage"
Mugger "Why the #### are you just wearing headphones?"
Victim "I wanted look cool"

Old 02-27-2004, 01:45 PM

Freshman Lounger

I think you guys are overestimating the reasoning capabilities of the common mugger. Typically people aren't going to notice the difference between the color of the headphones you are wearing when they are about to commit a criminal act. But I could be wrong, that just seems to be the way I've seen it go down. I can always tell when someone is up to something.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:48 PM

Freshman Lounger

hehehe about right!
Old 02-27-2004, 01:52 PM

1,2, WOOP WOOP

Quote:
Originally posted by stoermer
I think you guys are overestimating the reasoning capabilities of the common mugger. Typically people aren't going to notice the difference between the color of the headphones you are wearing when they are about to commit a criminal act. But I could be wrong, that just seems to be the way I've seen it go down. I can always tell when someone is up to something.
Then he says give me whats in your pockets, and you're ####ed anyways.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:07 PM

Senior to the Juniors

Where i live it is a little seaside town full of old old people or some are just working here during the summer. When i listen to my ipod people give me strange looks and i think it is because of the white coloured earphones as the are not the normal black pair.

Bang tidy

Topic: ipod mugging? & Getting mugged coz of WHITE EARFONES!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.