Very easy way to make itrip work better in the car!!!!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

hackmania

***No opening of products required, so there is no way to injure ipod or itrip!****

This is an extremely easy set-up that is non-invasive and doesnt look that bad either!

Final set-up.jpg

(My ipod is attatched to my dash with velcro. I have a strip on the back of my ipod case and a strip on my dash)

What i did was to go to a radio shack and bye some copper wire, wrap the copper wire around my car antenna, bring it through the trunk and finally put a coil or copper wire around my rear-view mirror. This essentially extends my car antenna so that it is about a foot away from my ipod/itrip.

Materials
1) Ipod
2) Itrip
3) copper Wire (I bought 14 gauge, 70 ft; but it really doesnt matter as long as it is long enough to complete the set-up)

Step one

Wrap the copper wire around your car antenna and go in through the trunk of your car

Antenna-trunk.jpg

Step two

Bring the copper wire out through the back seat and somehow run it to the front of your car. I stuffed the wire the rubber part of the car that runs alongside my doors. (electrical tape can be used anywhere to help attatch the copper wire to any part of your car)

back-front.JPG

Step Three

Put the copper wire behind the sun visor or wherever you prefer, so that the rest of the wire can be wrapped into a large coil that can hang from your mirror. Once i got the coil behind my mirror i bent it into an oval shape so that the rear-view mirror pretty much conceals the entire coil. I also used electrical tape go bind the coil together so that it was more compact

mirror coil.jpg

My itrip now works EXTREMELY well and there is very rarely static!!! This is a very simple and cheap way to make your itrip work much better without having to take your itrip apart!

Last edited:

Anachronism

Good idea but I don't know if 70 ft of wire is necessary :eek: I had a similer idea that I finally got around to trying.

I use my I pod with an iTrip in my work truck (IE my companys work truck). Performance is decent but there are a few places in Boston where I just could not get a clear signal. I used about 3 feet of wire (~16 gauge) and wrapped it around the antenna wire where it comes out of the back of the stereo (I wrapped it around a pencil first to get it to hold a spiral shape, it looks red in the picture) --

http://forums.ilounge.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6470&stc=1&d=1148342149
051906_11551.jpg

Then I ran it up behind the trim and put it next to where I keep my iPod - (The fancy scotch tape will be going, I may try to hide the wire, I don't see any reason it wouldn't work with plastic between the wire and my iPod.)
http://forums.ilounge.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6468&stc=1&d=1148342149
051906_11531.jpg

http://forums.ilounge.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6469&stc=1&d=1148342378
051906_11541.jpg

Now I get reception everywhere, even in downtown Boston.

Attachments

Last edited: