iLuv Products

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

frankthetank966

Does anybody have any of these speakers? They look really nice and seem as if they have very good sound and are decent prices. Can somebody help me out?

jeza29

Bored Lounger
I am also wondering this- if the i177 (alarm clockish thing) is like the iHome minus some of the annoying flaws like the unbearable volume of the alarm mode that ive heard of then i think i'd be interested, it even looks better than the iHome in my opinion. please ilounge review these products

VipFREAK

Wow, actually I'm liking the ext. batt but it's a full skin that goes over the iPod?

groo90266

I'm a new user and can't post the link to the page I wrote my comments on (because it's a hyperlink), so I apologize for the wasted bits and here's a cut-and-paste:

Just got an i177 (the clock radio with remote). Sound quality is good to my untrained ears; much better than the powered speakers on my computer, better than my previous clock radio.

The Good:
o Sleep timer decreases volume gradually then shuts off the iPod!
o Remote goes to next/previous track, play/pause, controls volume, switches to radio bands, tunes the radio and snoozes the alarm.
o Comes with 5 adapters for the various iPod models and a USB for the Shuttle
o “Sleep” volume is independent of waking volume
o Switching to either radio band pauses the iPod
o Uses backup batteries (2xAA) for power outages
o Loud frickin’ beeper (though if you want to buy an iPod clock radio in order to wake to a beeper, maybe you’re looking at the wrong product)

The Indifferent:
o Dual alarms
o Dimmer has 3 settings (in addition to “off")
o Date displayed

The Irritating:
o Military time; I can’t find the option for AM/PM.
o No radio presets; just the last AM and last FM station.

The Weird and Not Very Good:
o AM tuning doesn’t tune to exact frequencies; it seems to go in 9 kHz steps

Those last issues make me think that perhaps I got a unit designed for the European market (or perhaps the dev team is all ex-military non-AM-radio listeners). I’ve sent iLuv e-mail about these.

Frankly, it looks like a good value to me; looks like a solid design; fairly good bass response, big numerals, nice integration with iPod for listening and waking. I wonder if it’s okay that the iPod is connected to the charger all night… (That’ll be for long-term testing).

One last thing: their e-commerce system is weird—it tags your order with the description of the product, not the model number. This would be okay if they didn’t use the same description for four different products, so I had to e-mail them to tell them the model number that I’d intended to purchase.

battlecat

groo90266 said:
I'm a new user and can't post the link to the page I wrote my comments on (because it's a hyperlink), so I apologize for the wasted bits and here's a cut-and-paste:

Just got an i177 (the clock radio with remote). Sound quality is good to my untrained ears; much better than the powered speakers on my computer, better than my previous clock radio.

The Good:
o Sleep timer decreases volume gradually then shuts off the iPod!
o Remote goes to next/previous track, play/pause, controls volume, switches to radio bands, tunes the radio and snoozes the alarm.
o Comes with 5 adapters for the various iPod models and a USB for the Shuttle
o “Sleep” volume is independent of waking volume
o Switching to either radio band pauses the iPod
o Uses backup batteries (2xAA) for power outages
o Loud frickin’ beeper (though if you want to buy an iPod clock radio in order to wake to a beeper, maybe you’re looking at the wrong product)

The Indifferent:
o Dual alarms
o Dimmer has 3 settings (in addition to “off")
o Date displayed

The Irritating:
o Military time; I can’t find the option for AM/PM.
o No radio presets; just the last AM and last FM station.

The Weird and Not Very Good:
o AM tuning doesn’t tune to exact frequencies; it seems to go in 9 kHz steps

Those last issues make me think that perhaps I got a unit designed for the European market (or perhaps the dev team is all ex-military non-AM-radio listeners). I’ve sent iLuv e-mail about these.

Frankly, it looks like a good value to me; looks like a solid design; fairly good bass response, big numerals, nice integration with iPod for listening and waking. I wonder if it’s okay that the iPod is connected to the charger all night… (That’ll be for long-term testing).

One last thing: their e-commerce system is weird—it tags your order with the description of the product, not the model number. This would be okay if they didn’t use the same description for four different products, so I had to e-mail them to tell them the model number that I’d intended to purchase.
Thanks for that great info! Sounds like it improves on the iH5.

But could you tell us about the most important issue?

The problem with the iHome iH5 alarm clock was that when you Wake to the iPod, the volume quickly rose to Volume 20 in about 5 seconds which was VERY annoying.

So.. when you set the alarm to "Wake to iPod" does the alarm come on gradually to the volume you set it to the night before? Does it get really loud quickly? Any info on this issue would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks!!

battlecat

frankthetank966 said:
Wow that is insane... I am not sure if it is worththe money to buy a speaker system like this or the JBL Creature II.
Well, the Creature II's will sound better, but they don't dock and charge the iPod, don't have an alarm clock or am/fm radio, take up a bit more space.

If you're looking for just a bedside speaker AND want to replace your normal alarm clock get the iLuv of iHome, otherwise, get the creature ii's

december

i came to this thread hoping to find some answers as to whether the iLuv radio unit improves upon the dreaded iHome wake volume. A quick perusal of the 177's owner's manual states that the sleep volume is independent of the wake volume, but there is no mention of how to set the wake volume. Could someone who owns one comment on this? I emailed the company about this but never received a response (this strikes me as a poor strategy in the competitive Ipod accessories market. The Core cases people sent out extra cases to some buyers to boost the company's profile. Answering your customer email seems like a pretty easy one to manage).

A second deal-breaker with the iHome was that if the track selected to wake to was quiet at the beginning, or contained some quiet parts at the end then the unit would switch off the iPod to the buzzer. Nice idea, terrible execution. Since i am trying to gently wake myself i probably have selected something quiet to wake up to. Replacing this with the buzzer is just terrible design. If anyone with an iLuv could comment on how it fares with respect to waking tracks it would be greatly appreciated.

groo90266

When you set the alarm, you also set the 'wake volume' for that alarm (by turning the volume control). Then you leave alarm-setting mode and can change the volume of the unit to whatever you want. When the alarm goes off, it gradually builds to the wake volume you'd set earlier. (Net effect, I can put the sleep timer on at a low volume and wake up to a louder volume). That second deal breaker mentioned by december is puzzling; I'll experiment with it when I get back from work.

Note: I've subsequently decided that the bass is overpronounced, so when I put the iPod on the i177, I turn on EQ to "Bass Reducer" -- then it sounds fine.

Oh, and the unit is responsive to the remote over a fairly large angle: 5 feet at 80 degrees off boresight and >15 feet at boresight. I can't see the IR receiver, so I assume it's hidden under the speaker grill.

Still irritated about the AM radio steps and i-Luv hasn't e-mailed me back...

groo90266

Okay; I'm late for work and I don't care because they're just going to criticize my slides for a presentation I'm giving next week. So I did some tests:

The volume of the alarm builds to full volume over approximately 10 seconds (tested with Heart - Crazy on You).

If the music is cued to a quiet piece (tested with Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata), the alarm does NOT switch to the beeper. (Though with this test piece, I wouldn't have woken up because it's so quiet, so maybe switching to the beeper might be a nice option).

Can someone comment on whether or not it'll harm the battery to have it essentially fully charged sitting on the dock for hours at a time?

BTW: The sound goes from 1 to 40; at 40 a piece of pop music will sound loud, but not so loud that the neighbors would complain. (We'd need it to go to 41 for that).

frankthetank966

Hmm... do yall think the price will drop on the iH5 since they are releasing a new one iH7 which comes with a bed side speaker... This looks really sweet and is only $30 more bucks.

battlecat

groo90266 "The volume of the alarm builds to full volume over approximately 10 seconds (tested with Heart - Crazy on You).

BTW: The sound goes from 1 to 40; at 40 a piece of pop music will sound loud, but not so loud that the neighbors would complain. (We'd need it to go to 41 for that)."

I'm kind of confused by this. Earlier you said that when the alarm went off, it went to the 'Wake Volume' that you set, but now you say 'full volume'... is this the Full Volume that the iLuv can go to?

The iH5's maximum volume is Volume 40 and that was REALLY REALLY loud. When you woke to it, it went straight up to Volume 20 which was REALLY loud... way too loud to wake to. A comfortable waking volume would be probably volume 10 (for me maybe even less).

So... are you saying it goes to Volume 40 on the iLuv EVEN WHEN you set the wake volume? Or did you set the wake volume to 40? Is volume 40 the maximum for the iLuv?? How loud exactly is it?

Oh and I'm sorry for the questions but I think a LOT of people really want to know because we don't want to end up with another iH5 which was really annoying! :/

BTW: Thanks for your time in helping us!!!

"Can someone comment on whether or not it'll harm the battery to have it essentially fully charged sitting on the dock for hours at a time?"

No it shouldn't harm the battery.

groo90266

Sorry if this is a duplicate post; the forum is acting weird.

battlecat said:
<snip>
BTW: The sound goes from 1 to 40; at 40 a piece of pop music will sound loud, but not so loud that the neighbors would complain. (We'd need it to go to 41 for that)."
I'm kind of confused by this. Earlier you said that when the alarm went off, it went to the 'Wake Volume' that you set, but now you say 'full volume'... is this the Full Volume that the iLuv can go to?
<snip>
Sorry; I wasn't being precise (did I mention that I was running late for work that day?). When the alarm goes off, it builds over about 10 seconds to the full "wake volume" that had been set earlier. So if you'd set it to 20, it'll go up to 20 and not to 40.

Also, thanks for the info about the battery!

battlecat

groo90266 said:
Sorry if this is a duplicate post; the forum is acting weird.

Sorry; I wasn't being precise (did I mention that I was running late for work that day?). When the alarm goes off, it builds over about 10 seconds to the full "wake volume" that had been set earlier. So if you'd set it to 20, it'll go up to 20 and not to 40.

Also, thanks for the info about the battery!
Awesome thanks!!!

egross

Can anyone tell me if a 60GB 5G iPod in a Corecase will fit in the i177 dock? Please let me know. Thanks!

nifu

I'm wondering if my 60GB iPod in iSkin eVo3 will fit, but since it doesn't fit in the iHome iH5, I'm guessing no :/

Also, what do you guys think of the look of the i177 vs. the iH5?

Thanks!

wco81

Anyone else try it?

Looks like Amazon is going to have it soon, at prices competitive with the iHome products.

Of course iHome is coming out with a new boombox and new clockradio.

Every day, it seems like someone is coming out with speaker docks.

Looks like a very popular accessory for iPods.

wco81

Amazon has the iLuv clock radios for under $68 now.

The boom boxes are $89.99.

Can anyone who has any of these post the sizes, weight and whether the power adapter is multivoltage (100-240V)?