Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: "BLACK" iHome iH5 iPod Clock Radio w/ Remote **PICS**

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 01-04-2006, 04:07 PM

Junior Lounger

Lightbulb "BLACK" iHome iH5 iPod Clock Radio w/ Remote **PICS**

I ordered a black iHome iH5 from apple online store and it just arrived today. To my surprise, it comes with the matching color remote included. I paid $99.95 for this and wasn't expecting the remote since no where on ihome's official homepage nor apple's page claims that the remote is included. On ihome's page, it's available for at an additional $19.99.

Anyways, just want to share with the guys that are interetsed in a black one.

Apple's Link:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...lm=TH101LL%2FA

iHome link:
http://www.ihomeaudio.com/flash/default.asp

Note:
1. comes with all adapters including the nano adapter.
2. the model number on the box actually says "iH5R", which i assume it indicates the version w/ remote included.
3. apple store's website claims shipping is 2-3 weeks, but mine shipped next day.

Pictures:

Last edited by C-Dub; 01-04-2006 at 04:09 PM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-04-2006, 04:55 PM

Sexy Lounger

Weird, but cool.

-Chris

30 GB, 5th gen, white iPod
15 GB, 3rd gen, iPod
10 GB, 3rd gen, iPod
512 MB, 1st gen iPod Shuffle
Visit http://www.fergusononfilm.com!
Old 01-04-2006, 10:25 PM

Junior Lounger

nice

iPods: 3rd Gen 40gig / 1st Gen 1gig Nano / 1st Gen 16gig Touch / 4th Gen 32gig Touch
Mac: 1.2 GHz G4 iBook OS 10.5 / 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mac Mini
Old 01-04-2006, 10:46 PM

Freshman Lounger

thanks for the pictures. I'm about to buy one myself come next paycheck

So assuming you've seen the other (longer) thread on this item, can you tell us about gentle wake issue and the back light issue?

On previous versions of the clock people disliked the fact that the lowest setting that one could set the gentle wake up feature (it's supposed to start off with a low volume and gradually increase until its loud to wake you up) was at volume level 20.

Have you tried setting it lower than this?

Also, I see that in your pic with the lights off that the clock's backlight is pretty bright. Is that on the highest setting? That is another issue people had. Couuld you take pictures of it on the dimmest backlight setting and with the lights off please? I'm sure many would appreciate it.

If not I will do so come next week, thanks!
Old 01-04-2006, 11:59 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by phaze
thanks for the pictures. I'm about to buy one myself come next paycheck

So assuming you've seen the other (longer) thread on this item, can you tell us about gentle wake issue and the back light issue?

On previous versions of the clock people disliked the fact that the lowest setting that one could set the gentle wake up feature (it's supposed to start off with a low volume and gradually increase until its loud to wake you up) was at volume level 20.

Also, I see that in your pic with the lights off that the clock's backlight is pretty bright. Is that on the highest setting? That is another issue people had. Couuld you take pictures of it on the dimmest backlight setting and with the lights off please? I'm sure many would appreciate it.

If not I will do so come next week, thanks!
yep, i have been following the other thread as well

I haven't tested the gentle wake feature yet, but i'll let you guys know asap

regarding the blacklight, personally i have never tired the old version, but i can tell you that the dimmest setting, i can barely see any backlight.. so i doubt it'll be too bright for anyone while sleeping

you're right, the backlight was set at the highest setting when i was taking the pic, cause i can barely see any light at the lowest setting.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:35 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by phaze

ok, now that i have tested it, the following is my experience:

1. The backlight is very dim at the dimmest setting where u can barely see any backlight, so you guys don't have to worry about it being too bright.

2. I'm not too sure what the past issues about alarm volume is, but this is my experience. Please tell me if this is what you guys have been experiencing, or the unit i have is an improved one.
To explain this in detail.

Experiment 1:
If I set the volume to a vol less than 10 (let's say 3), when the alarm goes off, the volume starts with a level around 10 and stops at vol 20 within 6-8 secs.

Experiment 2: (read carefully)
If I set the volume to a vol more than 10 (let's say 15), when the alarm goes off, the volume still starts with a level around 10 and stops at vol 20 within 6-8 secs.

Experiment 3: (read carefully)
If I set the volume to a vol more than 20 (let's say 25), when the alarm goes off, the volume still starts with a level around 10 and stops at vol 25 within 6-8 secs.

Conclusion, no matter what, the alarm always starts at a level around vol 10 and goes up to volume 20 if you previously set the volume under 20. However, if you set the volume above 20 before sleeping, the alarm will go all the way up to the setting you had.

Hope this is clear.

Last edited by C-Dub; 01-05-2006 at 01:48 AM.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:46 AM

Reclined Lounger

Does it come with the inserts for the 5G models?

Or will the 4G inserts just have a big gap around the bottom of the 5G iPods since the 4G ones are thicker?
Old 01-05-2006, 01:56 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by wco81
Does it come with the inserts for the 5G models?

Or will the 4G inserts just have a big gap around the bottom of the 5G iPods since the 4G ones are thicker?
It uses the thin iPods insert for the 30gb and the thick iPods insert for the 60gb.
Both of these inserts are included with the unit.

Within the box, here's a card with instructions for the 5G iPods with a few rubbers pads attached.

on the card, it says:

Quote:

These pads are for your 5th generation iPod

30gb iPod
1. Remove rubber pads attached to "thin iPods" insert.
2. Replace with 2 of the pads attached to this card.

60gb iPod
1. Remove rubber pads attached to "thick iPods" insert.
2. Replace with 2 of the pads attached to this card.

Note:
If your 5th generation iPod doesn't turn of with iH5 buttons, turn it off using controls on your iPod
To address your question, the pads they want you to replace from the card for the 5G are basically thicker rubber pads compared to the ones originally attached to the thin/thick iPods inserts

Hope this is clear.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:48 AM

Junior Lounger

Can you take a picture of the IH5 on the dimmest setting with the lights out? It sounds like they have fixed this issue.

But it sounds like the alarm volume is still an issue. When I had my white version 1, I had it right next to my bed. A volume of 5-6 would be the loudest that I would ever WANT the alarm volume to rise to. Call me an old fart, but if I'm woken up by a really loud sound, (radio, alarm, etc.) my heart races at about 2x it's normal speed. I'm definitely awake, but that is NOT how I want to be woken up...

Until they fix the alarm issue, I'll stick with my trusty 15 year old Sony alarm clock.

vVarwick
Old 01-05-2006, 10:15 AM

Freshman Lounger

well it looks like the at least let you start the volume lower ( you mention around 10)

the earlier version only started at level 20
Old 01-05-2006, 04:47 PM

Freshman Lounger

I am sooooo jealous. I am trying to guilt my dad into getting me this. Don't pay attention to the fact that I am nearing my 30's. I'm still waiting for a christmas present from the loser.

Anyway. I've had the iPod for a while, and I love love this for a good alarm, as well as music for while in the shower or cleaning the bedroom.

How is the sound quality?

Can I please see a pic of the dimmest back light in the dark, as well?

I would like to know that the light won't keep me up.

I can't wait to get one!

Thanks.

Misscrf

It's never too late to become who you could have been. ~ George Eliot
Old 01-05-2006, 08:59 PM

Reclined Lounger

I've held off buying this hoping that the CES or MacWorld will see similar units.

iLounge reported a Geneva speaker systems running near $1000 with only FM tuner. Sound quality should be interesting.

Then there are the Denon systems which also run $900 and above.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:01 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by C-Dub
ok, now that i have tested it, the following is my experience:

Experiment 1:
If I set the volume to a vol less than 10 (let's say 3), when the alarm goes off, the volume starts with a level around 10 and stops at vol 20 within 6-8 secs.

Experiment 2: (read carefully)
If I set the volume to a vol more than 10 (let's say 15), when the alarm goes off, the volume still starts with a level around 10 and stops at vol 20 within 6-8 secs.

Experiment 3: (read carefully)
If I set the volume to a vol more than 20 (let's say 25), when the alarm goes off, the volume still starts with a level around 10 and stops at vol 25 within 6-8 secs.

Conclusion, no matter what, the alarm always starts at a level around vol 10 and goes up to volume 20 if you previously set the volume under 20. However, if you set the volume above 20 before sleeping, the alarm will go all the way up to the setting you had.

Hope this is clear.

can you just set a volume and not let it slowly get louder? and how loud is the volume at 20. im planning on using this at college and i dont want my alarm to be too loud but loud enough to wake me up! Also is there some kind of model number on the box or something? I want to make sure I get the updated version of this clock thanks
Old 01-09-2006, 08:25 PM

Freshman Lounger

OK I decided to pick one up today and now im deciding to return it. I also got the black ihome but I couldnt find out with a remote. I tested all the features and I came up with the same results as the OP. There is no option to set your own volume to wake up to and the build up time for the volume to reach to 20 is probably 3 seconds. Basically the lowest setting on the clock backlight is off. I see no light at all but it is very bright on the highest setting. Its a great product I'm amazed by the sound quality but with no remote and no option to wake to your own volume its not a keeper for me.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:17 PM

Freshman Lounger

unfortunately - in any color - the iHome still sux wads - they fix the alarm volume - and I'll blow my white one up and get it in black..

here's hoping the JBL On time doesn't have the same issues..

Topic: "BLACK" iHome iH5 iPod Clock Radio w/ Remote **PICS**

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.