Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Questions about Earphones Frequency Range.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-27-2003, 10:32 PM

Freshman Lounger

Questions about Earphones Frequency Range.

For sound experts here. I'm confused.
Could I say that the wider the frequency range the better the earphones?

I've seen few with frequency range '9 - 24,000Hz' but most usually do not start any less than 16.

One thing I'm confused is why is it that most that have a lesser range frequency cost more than the ones that have a wider frequency range?
I've seen this phenomenal in the same brand.

Why is it that those 'street style' headphones do not have frequency range any lower that 2 digits? all usually 16, 20...

Should I not be bothered about the frequency range then when I look for earphones?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-27-2003, 10:35 PM

Freshman Lounger

One more thing. The Sony MDR-EX71SL Earphones frequency range can go up to 6-23,000 Hz but never had much good reviews except its base. Why?
Old 10-28-2003, 10:51 AM

Dismember

Frequency range is one of the least useful parameters in deciding on an earphone, IMHO. The reason? The actual frequency response will vary significantly from user to user, depending on seal, anatomy of your inner ear, etc. It's not a very good predictor on how good a set of earphones will sound. Sensitivity is more helpful in picking earphones, IMHO--but there is no absolute parameter that will tell you how something will sound--you have to listen to them yourself.

Stay away from the Sony Street styles--they're horrible. The EX's are ok, not great, are a bit bass heavy and blurry--I'd pay the extra dough and take the Shure E2's over them any day. I don't like ear buds; I just can't find a comfortable pair, but the Senn 400's or the Sony E888's are very popular here--if I was going to get a bud, I'd probably go with Jacko's rec on the E888's.

If you want a neckband or earclip setup, my advice would be to avoid the sony streetstyle, and go with the Koss KSC 50 (earclip) or Koss KSC 55 (neckband)--these sound fantastic for $20.00--much better than the more expensive sony streetstyle.

Chris and his infamous clipped Calvinpod
Old 10-28-2003, 07:51 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by dmt1
Frequency range is one of the least useful parameters in deciding on an earphone, IMHO. The reason? The actual frequency response will vary significantly from user to user, depending on seal, anatomy of your inner ear, etc. It's not a very good predictor on how good a set of earphones will sound. Sensitivity is more helpful in picking earphones, IMHO--but there is no absolute parameter that will tell you how something will sound--you have to listen to them yourself.

Stay away from the Sony Street styles--they're horrible. The EX's are ok, not great, are a bit bass heavy and blurry--I'd pay the extra dough and take the Shure E2's over them any day. I don't like ear buds; I just can't find a comfortable pair, but the Senn 400's or the Sony E888's are very popular here--if I was going to get a bud, I'd probably go with Jacko's rec on the E888's.

If you want a neckband or earclip setup, my advice would be to avoid the sony streetstyle, and go with the Koss KSC 50 (earclip) or Koss KSC 55 (neckband)--these sound fantastic for $20.00--much better than the more expensive sony streetstyle.
I had the Sony E888 before... they are very good in its treble therefore making sound very clear BUT ... yes.. BIG BUT.. it can't withstand loud noise. Within 3 months, the earphone just can't take the sound anymore and something inside went loose... You know, when something goes loose, the sound is different. Like something is vibrating inside one side of the earphones.. sorta same with speakers too..

Yes, many here have recomended Shure E2 but can't find it over here in Singapore .

Last edited by arcanehacker; 10-28-2003 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:44 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by dmt1

Agreed my new Koss KSC 50's sound much better than my old Sony head band earphones.

3g 20Gb Ipod with Koss-50 headphones

Topic: Questions about Earphones Frequency Range.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.