KCA-420i and new iPod nano

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

TheBum

Please post your experiences with the new iPod nano and the Alpine KCA-420i iPod car interface.

I'm mainly interested in potential improvements in scrolling speed due to the near-instantaneous access afforded by the flash memory. I have a 9851 head unit, so I'd be especially interested in reports from people with head units that *do not* have the GlideTouch bar.

TIA.

tenbears10

I have a nano on order Alan and I'm keen to know if it will work with my kca-420i but if I can't find out before it arrives I will let you know when I test mine out.

TheBum

There's a Car Integration tab on Apple's iPod nano web page. It links to the car integration pages for the full-sized iPods, so I'm sure it'll work. I'll just have to curb my entusiasm until someone actually has a chance to try it. The only bummer about the nano is that it only syncs via USB and all of my computers are still stuck on USB 1.1 with no upgrade possibilities (two laptops without CardBus slots and an old iMac).

Last edited:

jbirney

If thats the case TheBum, then you can look at it this way...

Its time to UPGRADE to a NEW PC/Laptop :) :) :)

TheBum

jbirney said:
If thats the case TheBum, then you can look at it this way...

Its time to UPGRADE to a NEW PC/Laptop :) :) :)
Unfortunately, my newer laptop (a 12" Aluminum PowerBook) is only 2.5 years old and it's still under an AppleCare warranty, so it's not economically feasible to replace it yet. I'm planning to wait for a MacTel PowerBook, although I could be convinced to buy a new PowerPC PowerBook the latter half of next year if its specs are right.

TheBum

According to a report over at xlr8yourmac.com, the nano does indeed work with the Alpine interface but only after you perform a restore on it. There was nothing mentioned about menu navigation speed though.