Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Belkin iPod Voice Recorder

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 10-18-2003, 03:26 AM

Reclined Lounger

? Features 16mm speaker for quick playback

>>>>>>iPizzle<<<<<<

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-18-2003, 03:47 PM

Senior Lounger

Re: From Belkin's website:

Quote:
Originally posted by Wired
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=158384

" You can easily review your audio notes using the built-in speaker, your earbud headphones, or your computer. You can also copy recordings to your desktop or notebook computer for storage, editing, or sending to others via e-mail. Your Voice Recorder also works as a travel alarm clock."

Advantages
? Features 16mm speaker for quick playback
Cool!
Old 10-18-2003, 05:45 PM

Senior Lounger

Just FYI:

FAQ: Can I listen to MP3s through the Voice Recorder speaker?
Technically, yes; however, the speaker is intended to be used near the ear, and does not produce loud sound.

http://web.belkin.com/support/kb/kb.asp?a=2842

Still like the idea.
Old 10-19-2003, 02:26 PM

Senior Lounger

For paying $300-$500 for an iPod, then they update the firmware. Now they are asking $50 to use the feature. Give me a break . . it should work with all mics. .

10 GB 3rd Generation iPod
Black iSkin eXo
Sennheiser 212 HD Pro Headphones
Old 10-19-2003, 07:18 PM

Junior Lounger

so... no? Did anyone try a different powrered mic? (or line out...)

15GB 3G iPod in my hands.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:16 AM

Noob Hunter Hunter

Unhappy

i tried out the sony ecm-t6 powered mic... unforetunately it doesnt work, which is lame i think. i don't really want to shell out another ?40 as someone said to use this feature when we've already paid so much for an ipod. im gussin other mics will be comin out so im gona wait and hope a bit

iPods I've had...
15gb iPod (3g)
20gb iPod (3g)
Two 40gb iPods (4G Mono)
60gb iPod photo

Now on a 60gb Video - Come on Apple, Some people need more than 60gb, I've waited a year now....

31.4 days of music - 61.28GB - 9,986 songs - winxp - usb2
Old 10-23-2003, 11:46 PM

Mac Enthusiast

I really hope someone else comes out with another mic for the iPod. I want something with higher quality and hopefully a line in. If anyone ever discovers another new mic accessory for the iPod please let us know by posting here! Thanks!

~Scott Silverman~
Mac OS X 10.4.3 | Dual 2.0 GHz PowerMac G5 | 2.5 GB RAM | 320GB HD | 60GB Black 5G "ClickFox VIII" | Shure E2c | iTunes 6

Last edited by LikeAFox; 10-24-2003 at 01:28 AM.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:24 AM

Senior Lounger

As soon as anyone competent and brave enough gets one of these - PLEASE take it apart, as I'm dying to know how it works and how I can make my own version with a proper mic and perhaps line-in.

Drewpy
Old 10-24-2003, 01:36 AM

Mac Enthusiast

I was just thinking about making a voice recorder/microphone for the iPod and thought this: Isn't it possible that it isn't the mic itself, but the actual frequency range the iPod records, which determines the quality of the sound recorded? For example, the human voice ranges from frequencies of 100-10,000 Hz. If the iPod can only record such frequencies, then a better mic/line in won't do a huge amount of improvement. Yes, it will pick up the signal better, (i.e. a shotgun mic) but as far as recording music or a band etc. (quality and frequency range) it may not do much. Tell me if I'm wrong here...

~Scott Silverman~
Mac OS X 10.4.3 | Dual 2.0 GHz PowerMac G5 | 2.5 GB RAM | 320GB HD | 60GB Black 5G "ClickFox VIII" | Shure E2c | iTunes 6
Old 10-24-2003, 07:02 AM

Reclined Lounger

if the belkin recorder, made quite a loud sound when playing mp3's, i would definately buy one; itd save buying the new itrip where you can only play your tracks through a radio, when someone gets one, will they be able to say how loud it is?

Cheers,

theipodking
Old 10-24-2003, 09:09 PM

The Central Scrutinizer

I got my Voice Recorder today!!! Looks nice (I don't know who would call this "large", as I have read from some other postings. You must not have see it yet, it's really small (about 1.5"x.6"x.9")
I decided to put it through its paces right away and tested it in a few different environments:
1. Talking into the mic in a regular speaking voice, with the iPod in the dock worked very well, and produced very clean audio. Just the regular ambient noise one would expect from any other voice dictaphone (I also own an Olympus dictaphone). The little built-in speaker is fine when for reviewing your recording when you're in a relatively quiet environment. Listening with headphones sounds way better and is definitely the way to go if you want to truly focus on the recorded sound. The speaker volume is not very loud, so forget about using this as a boombox.
2. I set up the iPod in the living room and walked into the kitchen (which amounts to a distance of about 30 feet). I proceeded to speak as if I was talking to a group, but not really with a raised voice. As I expected, this still produced usable recordings, with a bit less power, but it appears as if the mic adjusted its levels to the quieter environment. My voice is still clearly audible and discernable, but without some fudging with the resulting .wav file, I wouldn't burn a CD from the recording.
I don't have a lecture hall to take the iPod to, but I'll try it on Monday in a meeting.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:22 PM

The power that be.

i too would only buy the recorder if it worked well in class-room situations. I use my ipod every day driving to school in the car and all around campus and now hopefully in class, (if i ever decide to spend the $50 for it)

Every signature I've ever had has been modified within days. This is all that's left.
Old 10-25-2003, 02:07 PM

The Central Scrutinizer

If your classmates keep quiet during class, I don't see why it wouldn't work. If there is constant noise generated from around the classroom, it will probably force the mic electronics to keep adjusting the gain levels and mess up the recording. Maybe you could sit up front?
Old 10-25-2003, 02:07 PM

The Central Scrutinizer

If your classmates keep quiet during class, I don't see why it wouldn't work. If there is constant noise generated from around the classroom, it will probably force the mic electronics to keep adjusting the gain levels and mess up the recording. Maybe you could sit up front?
Old 10-26-2003, 07:29 PM

Senior Lounger

Wired, any chance you could MP3/AAC encode a recording and attatch it to a post so we can all hear what it's like?

Drewpy

Topic: Belkin iPod Voice Recorder

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.