Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Why are Grados so great for rock?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 08-10-2005, 08:19 PM

Reclined Lounger

Why are Grados so great for rock?

I'm asking this question because everyone is telling me that I should get them because they're perfect for the kind of music I listen to, which is anything hard. Any testimonials out there?

Second question, is there an in-ear alternative? (I know I have asked this before, but I would like people who have heard Grados to tell me if they suggestion anything for in-ear because I don't think I will have the chance to test any ear/headphones...)

Last edited by NawdaKh; 08-11-2005 at 12:56 AM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 08-11-2005, 12:49 AM

Well grado are great for rock because the sound they make isn't boomy or muddy and aren't shrill. I have a pair of grado sr-60 and they are great for rock. These headphones are a great pair for the money you will spend on them.

Old 08-11-2005, 05:06 AM

Declined Lounger

Why are Grados (especially the SR80 at the low end) great for rock? A bright sound, combined with, ironically, poor engineering. The sandpaper-like pads mash up the drivers against the ear and create much more punch than other more refined-sounding phones which place the drivers further away from the ear. Any criticisms aside, the SR60/80 are certainly very good sonic value for money in a capable open headphone.

But I wonder if you've considered the practical aspects of using them with an iPod. They are open... Very open. This means that when there is background noise you won't be getting any benefit from the superior sound quality. That, and they leak badly outwards allowing everyone else around you to enjoy your music. They have a long rather stiff cable. They're not the best built phones on this planet, although being rudimentally engineered they are also easy to DIY repair.

A good alternative is the Sony MDR-V6. Not quite as good sounding, but a heck of a lot more practical in transportable use.

16Gb iPhone...
...but N95 paired with Gear4 BluEye + 32Gb Touch actually FTW.

Last edited by thedodgyguy; 08-11-2005 at 05:09 AM.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:36 AM

Reclined Lounger

I appreciate the input, but like I said, i need in-ear headphones. Do you know of any in-ear alternatives for rock? It seems like the only ones with any amount of bass are Sony's.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:10 AM

Declined Lounger

The Grados aren't that bassy, and the Sony's have sound quality that's nowhere near comparable. The Shure E3c makes a fair stab at the general Grado sound quality, but has nowhere near the good sonic balance of the Grados. You'll probably have to explore the likes of the new UE's, the Shure E5, etc.

16Gb iPhone...
...but N95 paired with Gear4 BluEye + 32Gb Touch actually FTW.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:30 AM

Head-fi junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by thedodgyguy
. The Shure E3c makes a fair stab at the general Grado sound quality, but has nowhere near the good sonic balance of the Grados.
I have to comment on this because somebody reading this might think that E3C's are similar. In fact, the difference between the E3C and Grado is about as opposite in terms of spectral signature as possible. The Grado has sharp snappy bass, sparkling highs, and smooth fluid midrange. The E3C has dull highs, very limited bass, and overly forward but fluid midrange.

I love my Grado's but I could not stand the E3C.

Topic: Why are Grados so great for rock?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.