Help with a 2005 Toyota Camry XLE w/Navigation iPod solution ...

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Sweaty

I just bought a new 2005 Toyota Camry XLE with satellite navigation and want to hook up my 3rd Gen 40GB iPod. Searching around the forums, I don't see anyone else with this vehicle + option.

An Internet search turned up the Blitzsafe TOY/M-Link1 V.2 connector as a possible solution but the product description says it does not support factory radios with satellite navigation. :mad:

[The forums won't let me post the URL but Google Blitzsafe and you can view the details.]

Otherwise, it looks like an elegant solution: it charges the iPod and music can be controlled from the factory radio controls.

Does anyone know of a solution for my vehicle? The problem, at least with the third party connectors out there, appears linked to the fact that I have a factory radio with satellite navigation.

I'm not that excited about the FM transmitter solution ... didn't like the quality.

Sweaty

Thanks, JT. I *knew* there had to be a solution. In your opinion, would work better: the PAC Aux-Pod or the iPod2Car solution? The iPod2Car website says that the iPod can still be controlled via its own controls; that would be nice.

coasterlvr

Website
jtaudioacc.com
Sweaty said:
Thanks, JT. I *knew* there had to be a solution. In your opinion, would work better: the PAC Aux-Pod or the iPod2Car solution? The iPod2Car website says that the iPod can still be controlled via its own controls; that would be nice.
They are basically the same thing, so it doesn't matter either one would be fine.

Sweaty

Success! I went with the iPod2Car solution in my 2005 Toyota Camry XLE w/factory navigation radio and it resulted in a very clean install.

Goods:
- Fantastic sound with the factory (JBL) sound system.
(Based on some other posts regarding volume level with the iPod2Car, I had the installer do an A/B test with dip-switch #6 on and off. They reported that with the switch on there was marginally more volume.)

- Seamless, low-visibility install (see picture below).

Others:
- The iPod2Car connects to the factory radio via the CD Changer input in the back of the unit. When the car is turned on, the radio thinks the CD Changer is in use and will default to it unless the radio unit is turned off prior to turning the car off. A little weird but I'm willing to deal with it to have the iPod functionality.

- Changing tracks on the iPod via the factory radio and steering wheel controls works *most* of the time. I've noticed that if the iPod is plugged into the adaptor after the radio is turned on the switching usually works.

- Sometimes tracks still cannot be advanced. Usually, this can be fixed by hitting the down-track control on the factory unit or the steering wheel control.

Verdict:
- Despite these idiosyncrasies, the iPod2Car solution works and sounds great!

Attachments

Last edited:

stingray_on

Wow, I have a 2005 XLE Camry and already have posted a thread regarding this same subject. I am going with the PAC and I have a Audio place in Covina, Ca, that will install it for me. I wonder if I will have the same quirks that you had.

Any tips I should give the installers? Should I ask him about the a/b test on the dip switch #6? I dont know what that means but I would imagine he know.

Is the cable going under the front compartment connecting your Ipod?

Sweaty

Stingray, I would have the installers do the A/B test just to be sure. I don't know if the PAC unit will have any of the volume issues that were reported in other threads. It doesn't hurt to have them try. With the iPod2Car, my installers reported slightly more volume with dipswitch 6 on.

The cable in my installation goes under the false floor of the front center compartment. The false floor actually hinges up exposing a deeper compartment underneath. I store the cable there when I'm not using the iPod.

kcorth

Sweaty said:

Changing tracks on the iPod via the factory radio and steering wheel controls works *most* of the time. I've noticed that if the iPod is plugged into the adaptor after the radio is turned on the switching usually works.
Try holding down the Up track button on the steering wheel for a couple seconds. The HU should beep and then control the Ipod.

Kevin

stingray_on

Thanks for the info. Gadin D, the audio place is getting supposedly 3 harnesses. Im waiting for them to be delivered to the place hopefully by Thurs or Friday- they will install it. Do I still contact mp3your car?

Sweaty

Originally posted by kcorth
Try holding down the Up track button on the steering wheel for a couple seconds. The HU should beep and then control the iPod.
Ken, thanks! That seems to work fine! Great advice.

Randy_M

Sweaty,

Mind if I ask what the total pricetag was for your system and installation? I have an '05 Solara Conv, and am tired of crappy FM transmitters. Thanks.

kcorth

Randy_M said:
Sweaty,

Mind if I ask what the total pricetag was for your system and installation? I have an '05 Solara Conv, and am tired of crappy FM transmitters. Thanks.
I got the Aux-Pod off Ebay for 170 shipped. He threw in one of the harnesses so I needed to buy the other one for $9. I installed it myself.

Kevin

Sweaty

Total price including two harnesses, iPod2Car adaptor, and installation ran about $320. I am not even remotely "handy" and didn't want to risk trying to install it myself on a new car. The local car audio shop did a great job (see photo above). Some might consider the cost pricey but it was well worth it to have the iPod functionality in the new ride.

Sweaty

Further iPod2Car observations ...

So it's been over a month since I had the iPod2Car installed in my 2005 Toyota Camry (see above). Here are some observations:

- The skip-to-the-next-track feature controlled from either the head unit or the steering wheel control works best if the iPod is plugged in AFTER the car powers up. This is especially true for my 3G 40GB iPod. My wife's 4G 20GB seems to be more forgiving.

- When the car is turned off with the iPod plugged in, the iPod usually will switch off as well and keep charging. When the car is turned on, the iPod does not start playing automatically.

- The second time the car is turned off with the iPod still plugged in, the iPod usually keeps playing. This seems to be true with both my 3G and my wife's 4G.

- When the car is turned on, the head unit now defaults to the CD Changer (where the iPod2Car adapter is plugged into). The display on the head unit indicates a track is being played by the CD Changer input regardless if an iPod actually is plugged in or not.

Despite these quirks, the sound is fantastic with the Camry XLE's JBL 8x speaker system. The quality is heads and tails above either FM transmitter or cassette adaptor.

Last edited:

stingray_on

Sweaty, I got the PAC aux and a lot of the things you mention happened to me too. I will plug the ipod after the car starts. I havent tried that. And I will go back to my audio guy and see if the dipswitch 6 is on. because I noticed the volume doesnt go as high. and you did mention it to me and I forgot. When I increase the volume on my ipod, it doesnt affect the volume on the stereo, is that true for you too.

What your update after 2 months?

Sweaty

Further iPod2Car observations ...

So it's been over two months since I had the iPod2Car installed in my 2005 Toyota Camry (see above). Here are some observations:

- Because the iPod2Car adapter is a "direct" line input into the CD Changer input in the head unit, the volume control on the iPod does not factor. That is, changing the volume on the iPod does not affect the head unit volume.

- The skip-to-the-next-track feature controlled from either the head unit or the steering wheel control works best if the iPod is plugged in AFTER the car powers up. This is especially true for my 3G 40GB iPod. My wife's 4G 20GB seems to be more forgiving.

- When the car is turned off with the iPod plugged in, the iPod usually will switch off as well and keep charging. When the car is turned on, the iPod does not start playing automatically.

- The second time the car is turned off with the iPod still plugged in, the iPod usually keeps playing. This seems to be true with both my 3G and my wife's 4G.

- When the car is turned on, the head unit now defaults to the CD Changer (where the iPod2Car adapter is plugged into). The display on the head unit indicates a track is being played by the CD Changer input regardless if an iPod actually is plugged in or not.

Despite these quirks, the sound is fantastic with the Camry XLE's JBL 8x speaker system. The quality is heads and tails above either FM transmitter or cassette adapter.

Last edited: