CORRECT way to charge the iPod and dock

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

bschwarz6

Website
www.bradschwarz.com
okay, after browsing the forums i havent really found a definitive answer. I have found some hints on the FAQ but nothing really definitive.

Here's the question: How do you charge your iPod? I use a firewire connection from the dock (i have a 3g) to my Windows XP box, and when i am not carrying my iPod around, it is in the dock. Is this bad? The only thing that i have realized as BAD is that when i turn my computer off, the iPod is dead after a few hours when i assume that it is charging. Is the hard drive spinning? I have found the following:

From FAQ:

"In fact, some experienced iPod users try to never let their iPod's
battery indicator get below 2 bars. Also, many experienced owners always recharge using the AC adapter as opposed to recharging from the FireWire port on their computers. In certain situations, the iPod's HDD will spin continually when connected to a computer, causing excess wear on the drive & power drain. This can be avoided if you "eject" iPod in iTunes and Finder, making the FireWire port a "charge only" port. Or, you can opt to always recharge your iPod using the AC adapter (or a car recharger)."

"If your iPod gets very hot while recharging from the FireWire port on your computer, be sure that you are unmounting (ejecting) your iPod while recharging. You can do this on a Mac from within iTunes or Finder. If you do not do this, the iPod's HDD will spin constantly while attached to your computer's FireWire port, causing the excessive heat."

any more suggestions? i was thinking of getting a powered firewire hub. would it charge the iPod when the computer was off? Should i just unmount my iPod when i am not actively transferring files to and from it? Should i just charge using the included charger and transfer files using the dock? this isnt efficient, but maybe it is just the Apple way? ;o)

any help would be great.

thanks,
brad

styles

ipod geek in denial
If you're computer is off, then no power is being output through the firewire port. Therefore, you aren't actually charging the ipod. If you're computer is off, then you'll have to charge using the AC adapter.

bschwarz6

Website
www.bradschwarz.com
if my computer is off, though, why is the iPod discharging? example: i turned my computer off last night, and when i woke up this morning, the iPod had no battery life left. I am assuming that it was just blinking "Do Not Disconnect" all night long, the hard drive was spinning, and that is how the battery was drained. Am i correct in assuming this? Is there any way to stop the iPod from discharging when the computer is off?

TIA
b

spawnedbyrage

Senior Lounger
That same thing happened to me. I turned my computer off and left my iPod hooked up. My iPod was off too, it didnt have anything on the display. When I woke up the next morning and turned my iPod on, The battery was drained. I know this doesnt answer your question but yeah, it happened to me too.

APEXi350Z

the best way to charge your ipod without switching the cable between pc firewire port and a/c adapter is to buy a combo cable... usb/firewire cable..

you can use the usb to sync, and use the firewire to charge.. I had to do this without going behind my pc and disconnect the cable everytime I want to switch between sync. and charging...

it's only $19.00 at the apple store.. you get 10% off too now....

bschwarz6

Website
www.bradschwarz.com
i'm still not sure that this will solve my problem ... will buying the cable continue to charge (or at least not DISCHARGE) my iPod while the computer is off??

b

APEXi350Z

yes, buying the combo cable will continue to charge your iPod, even after your pc is turned off. This only applys if you use USB as the sync cable and firewire as the charging cable...