Best Clear Case? Best Clear Film (trendygeek or power support)?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Auron

hi all -

i am looking for a nice clear case for my 5g 30gig black video ipod that will showcase my ipod as well as protect it. what can everyone recommend? i was eyeing the power support crystal case that comes with the films, as it is simple, sleek, and seems like it does the job. not to mention it comes with the clear film. i'm also considering the contour showcase but my friend has one on his 5g 30gig black video and while it looks nice, it looks like the rubber surrounding the edges does not connect/close together fully and there is a small crack that makes it look somewhat poorly constructed. in addition, there is no click wheel protection. however it does look like a very durable case. has anyone had experience with either, or can you recommend a better hard clear case?

edit: i looked at some of the clear cases reviews and here are a few things i don't like about some of them.

agent 18: exposed bottom.
capdase crystal clear case: clunky looking hinges
contour design showcase: as stated, rubber edge looks shoddy but everything else looks ok
griffin iclear: frosted back, ew
speck see-thru: just looks like a terrible product and i've heard bad things about it
xtrememac microshield: this thing is just plain ugly

basically im wavering between the power support crystal jacket and the contour design showcase.

about the clear film - i took a look around at reviews and it seems the power support clear film is closer to what i want as it is simpler to apply and is more invisible. i was also looking at the trendygeek film. has anyone had any experience with this? the power support film looks like it doesnt provide as much protection as trendygeek, but the trendygeek one looks like the film simply goes over the wheel without any kind of special contour for it. thoughts, everyone? who's had experience with these?

thx in advance!

Last edited:

ScottChapin

I love my showcase. I tried two others. You are obsessing about the small gap, which actually serves a high purpose. If there were no gap, I would worry about the iPod shucking around.

The iPod is sandwiched between rubber contact points under compression. Removing that gap could cause the case to close with less compression by holding the contact points further apart.

I actually love the look of mine. What I don't like about it, is the inability to mount the clip vertically and the clip really cannot be spread easily. This makes it almost necessary to remove your clothing to take the dang thing off. It has a "J" hook to keep it from coming off a belt, and it won't (the good news)!

I wish it had a port protector as well. I might buy one.

bigjonny

Just like the original poster, I'm getting a 30gb 5G ipodhere in the next couple of weeks and really wana start off right. I think I'm gonna go funkpod's way and pick up the actual covers...martin fields and bestskinever. I have also read that the cases are scratching and messing up the ipods so what's the point right?

But I would also like to get a clear case like the first poster. Out of the ones he listed I really like both the crystal jacket and the contour case. I really just can't decide. I don't think the rubber will bother me unless it attracts lint. I had a silicone case for the mini and I HATED it because there would always be dust on it and putting it in your pocket was out of the question. WHich of the two would you guys pick? I don't plan on dropping it but accidents do happen so let me know which would be better. Thanks a lot.

edit: there's also the agent18 case. I really like the shape of it and the stand and clip that came with it. Those three cases seem to get good reviews and bad reviews depending on the user. The biggest complaint seems to be the scratches on teh outside. I've read of each case scratching easily so I don't know which to pick. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

funkpod

Website
www.soul-kitchen.org
bigjonny, you won't regret the using of these two.

i take off my marware sportsuit case and i forget that i have these 2 skins.

i have to point out to my friends that they're there, too.

and the best thing is that you get the all around protection of the sides and bottom, so that if you get an agent18, you have that protection there.

i am trying to decide between contour vs. agent18, and i would hate the lint thing (stickin' to the contour's sides), but i love the protectiveness.

now... will they fit?

from what i gathered from most people, yes, they will fit, but it will be REALLY tight.

hope this helps!

~funkpod

bigjonny

Well I decided not to go with the contour and I think the agent18 case is out since the black ipods look faded in it. I really like that case and was plannin on getting it until I saw the review on ilounge and the pics of the black ipods in it. I think I'm gonna pick up a martin fields film or whatever and the crystal jacket. I may get the bestskinever for the back I just haven't decided if I'll need it evethough now while I haven't got the ipod is the time to choose. Thanks for the help and input guys.

bigjonny

Well the capdase has those huge hinges and I never thought about the ISEE. I actually think I like that one better then the crystal jacket. It seems like most the see through cases are made of a texture plastic which I would imagine reduces scratches or the apperance atleast but it kills the look on the black ipod. I'm trying to google more pictures of the crystal jacket but I can't seem to find anymore. I would really liek to see pics of both from all different angles but the biggest thing is the look. LEt me know if you know of pics of these cases. And thanks for the heads up on the other case..looks liek a keeper.

funkpod

Website
www.soul-kitchen.org
no problem on the head's up for the isee.

i went through the same decision making progress a little bit ago.
my friend has an isee, but he didnt' like it cuz it scratched easy. i don't know "how" easy, but the way i see it is that it's like a $20 case vs. a $300 ipod. 'sides, once your case gets really messed up, it's an excuse to get a new one!

i plan on my clear case being my 2nd case, i'd use my marware for working out and my clear one for lookin' cool.

as far as pics, search these forums, cuz i dont' remember exactly where, but i've seen TONS of pics of the isee and maybe even the crystal jacket.

cya!

~funkpod

bigjonny

Well I think I decided to go with the isee eventhough peopel really complain about teh scratches. I think I'm gonna buy those protective sheets...the kind you put over pda screens and stuff at best buy and actually put that on teh front of teh case. I'm not sure how it will work but it seems like it would do ok in my head. And it seems like it woul dget less scratches than the plastic case. O well wish me luck and I will post my results when I get my ipod in the next couple weeks.

bigjonny

Hey funkpod, you said you had the martin fields cover right? does that cover the entire front of the ipod or just the screen? I thought you said it covered the entire front but I wasn't sure. Just wanted to double check before I ordered it. Thanks a lot.

funkpod

Website
www.soul-kitchen.org
yeah, it covers the entire front.
you can also put on the included click wheel protector and button protector.

i dont' hav ethe click wheel one on now, but i probably will when i get a clear case.
we'll have to see if it hinders my scrolling and playing of VOrtex.

it's a REALLy nice protector. totally not like a sticker, but a really really thin sheet of plastic, and it stays on NO problemS!

i think i have some pics on MF+BSe marriage page, sometimes you can't tell it's on, that's how good it is.

i'm just concerned now w/ getting it to fit inside of a contour or agent18...

the good thing is that agent 18 is now sold at target, so i can return it easy if i need to.

adios.

feel free to ask any more questions if you need to.

~funkpod