ipod mugging? & Getting mugged coz of WHITE EARFONES!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

bobbybobby

ipod mugging?

just a thought i had today, but seeing all these new ipod adverts with black silhouettes and white ipods and earphones, arent white headphones gonna be a bit of a dead giveaway now for potential muggings?
i use sony ones anyway but at the risk of appearing alarmist and ipods being the must have accesory, it would be quite easy for someone to get followed from the subway or wherever because their white headphones are visible.
just a thought.

kyussmondo

Re: ipod mugging?

bobbybobby said:
just a thought i had today, but seeing all these new ipod adverts with black silhouettes and white ipods and earphones, arent white headphones gonna be a bit of a dead giveaway now for potential muggings?
i use sony ones anyway but at the risk of appearing alarmist and ipods being the must have accesory, it would be quite easy for someone to get followed from the subway or wherever because their white headphones are visible.
just a thought.
I find in the UK that a lot of people still haven't heard of the iPOD yet anyway. I seen a lot of advertisements and people with them in London. But anywhere else they are fairly rare.

I use Sony's as well anyway. If I wanted to show-off then I would where the iPOD ones, but they aren't really that practical.

cberube

IpodGod
Do you think it would occur to a criminal mind that the theft of an ipod would also necessitate the theft of a computer to get the thing to work?

bobbybobby

sure, thieves are thieves and im sure some of them steal to order so if they know somethings in demand they'll do their homework.

mdipi

Website
www.mdipi.com
cberube said:
Do you think it would occur to a criminal mind that the theft of an ipod would also necessitate the theft of a computer to get the thing to work?
not if they sell it to someone. and like bobby said, sometimes they steal to order :/

I never thought of it like that...could be an issue you never know what will happen i guess. I will only use the white ones while snowboarding personally, otherwise i gotta nice pair of sony's i use too.

thedodgyguy

Declined Lounger
I thought that once since I see a lot of white earphones while travelling around.

I go the opposite way though. I'd be quite relieved if they grabbed just my iPod. Not only was I given it for evaluation so it hasn't cost me anything, but my earphones are worth more than the iPod :D

emfinite

whitey
I always pick out the iPod people when I'm walking down the street. I know who all the cool people are ;)

dave420

If they were cool, they'd have got some proper earphones for their iPod - the ones you get with the iPod are some of the worst earphones ever made. It's like buying a ferrari, and keeping it in first gear. :)

Seriously, how can you tell someone with their original earbuds that they seriously suck ###? Would they hit you or be grateful?

AndyH

Yes, in fact there were two recent news articles posted on the front page of this site mentioning that this is in fact happening in both the UK (in London I believe) and in New York City.

dave420

They kinda deserve it - high visibility headphones that scream out "highly desirable, small, easily hidden expensive thing in my pocket!" are just asking for trouble.

Another good excuse to get real earbuds/headphones :p

Xarthan

nanolicious
Mugger grabes victim.

Mugger "Give me ur iPod"
Victim "I don't have an iPod"
Mugger "Your wearing iPod headphones"
Victim "I found them in the garbage"
Mugger "Why the #### are you just wearing headphones?"
Victim "I wanted look cool"

stoermer

I think you guys are overestimating the reasoning capabilities of the common mugger. Typically people aren't going to notice the difference between the color of the headphones you are wearing when they are about to commit a criminal act. But I could be wrong, that just seems to be the way I've seen it go down. I can always tell when someone is up to something. :mad:

enjoilax

stoermer said:
I think you guys are overestimating the reasoning capabilities of the common mugger. Typically people aren't going to notice the difference between the color of the headphones you are wearing when they are about to commit a criminal act. But I could be wrong, that just seems to be the way I've seen it go down. I can always tell when someone is up to something. :mad:
Then he says give me whats in your pockets, and you're ####ed anyways.

bognormike

Senior to the Juniors
Where i live it is a little seaside town full of old old people or some are just working here during the summer. When i listen to my ipod people give me strange looks and i think it is because of the white coloured earphones as the are not the normal black pair.

BrokenStar57

I think you are being hardcore paranoid. If you are going to be scared someone will follow you and mug you based on the color of your headphones..what about everyone that walks around with a cell phone, or on a college campus when everyone has a laptop bag on their shoulder. And if someone was ignorant enough to try and steal my ipod, I would take a knife to the gut before I would willingly give it up. They can go f*** themselves.

Cyburn

iPod Classic 80GB Silver
Website
cyburnyouthkip.blogspot.com
Most youth muggers usually mug Mobile phones in London,UK
rather than iPods.
But in 5 years from now muggers will want to STEAL MP3 Players
(esp the iPod) instead of mobiles

mysteriousal

I can't believe that dude that thinks the ipod is still relatively unknown in the UK. Ha! I get the underground to work every day and almost every other yuppie / trendy is wearing those stupid headphones. There are so many ipod users- and I'm only counting the ones who are stuopid enough to use the apple supplied hedaphones....
Sony Eggo's all the way///!

Kahran

Since I've got my iPod I've felt rather insecure as I walk about the streets and pull out my iPod when I want to change a tune.

To remedy the situation I've been carrying my replica of an Italian SWAT knife ;)

It just makes me feel a lot safer when I carry it, with or without an iPod.

kloan

SSMoy
wel that's why the remote is so useful! i keep my ipod in my pocket and i never take it out... i use the remote for everything...