Why you *CANNOT* replace a mini 1G battery with a 2G one

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

chicalatte99

So just to clarify - sorry to be annoying - If I send in my 1G Mini (green) they will just replace the battery - not the whole iPod? How does this work - do they stock the parts?

i am not having significant battery issues (yet, although I think it is depleting) but I am approaching the 1 year warranty date and want to know if it is advisable to send in for the replacement. If they send me a 2Generation - there is no question but if they just purely replace the battery....is it worth it? has anyone do this?

Let me know, thanks!

funnyperson1

Website
filebox.vt.edu
If you send it in they will either replace the battery with one that performs the same as a new 1G Mini would or they would send you a 1G Mini if they still have them in stock. I doubt they would send back a 2G.

Personally what I am going to do is wait until the Mini battery performance is unbearable and buy an upgraded battery like this one:
http://www.pdasmart.com/products/AP39ipodpartscentermini.htm

Channard

WarCow said:
It is possible to get a 500mAh battery to your iPod mini from this site:

I bought one last week and it's great. Of course it's not the 18 hours of playtime you can get with the new iPod mini but now i can get about 8 hours of playtime compared to 5-6 hours with the old battery (because i use EQ and backlight, and also skip songs a lot).

So it's not a lot of extra juice you're getting, but if you're about to replace your battery anyways it might be a good idea to upgrade it at the same time.
I've had my iPod mini for a couple of weeks and it's only giving me about 5/6 hours of battery life, without EQ or backlight. It's 1G, so no 18 hours for me! I've thought about sending it back but it's now below the half way mark. And I don't think I'd get a 2nd Gen in exchange.

As far as replacement battery life, has anyone tried that 720mAh battery which looks interesting. I know I'm not going to get 18 hours just by sticking one of those in, but I'd imagine I'd get at least double what I'm getting now.

Last edited:

funnyperson1

Website
filebox.vt.edu
The 720mAH should give you around 15-16 hours assuming the rating is accurate. The only problem is that it could be difficult to install yourself, though they'll do it for you for 5 dollars more.

Channard

funnyperson1 said:
The 720mAH should give you around 15-16 hours assuming the rating is accurate. The only problem is that it could be difficult to install yourself, though they'll do it for you for 5 dollars more.
It's certainly tempting - I'll probably wait till Feb when my iPod Mini 1G warranty runs out, although maybe there'll be even higher mAH mini batteries then.

stupidfresh

i mailed my 1g ipod to them 3 weeks ago because my battery was totally dead, and i got a new ipod mini, i knew this because there was a huge scratch on the back and it wasnt there anymore, but it came with the 8 hour battery not the new 18 hour, but still mybattery isnt 8 hours and i never use my backlight or anything, i timed my use today and it was 91 min and it was dead, should i call them up again?

jonnny

stupidfresh said:
but it came with the 8 hour battery not the new 18 hour, but still mybattery isnt 8 hours and i never use my backlight or anything, i timed my use today and it was 91 min and it was dead, should i call them up again?
- Please read the first post in this thread
- Did you let the new one charge fully before first use?

stupidfresh

well if they give you a whole new ipod, why cant they just give you a 2g one, and yes i did charge it fully, i called them up and they told me to reset, which i did, but the battery still is 4.5 to 5 hours long, which sucks because its dead by the time i get out of school

chiccoboi

im having a prob with my mini ipod (1st gen) wenever i unplug it from the charger it says low battery. i couldnt use it anymore without it connected to the charger..is my ipod wrecked? is it included in its warranty? btw, how long is it on warranty?

the_commanche

Windows Reigns Supreme
the whole 8hr battery life doesnt bother me. my previous mp3 player ran on a single AAA with about 7-8 hours of battery life. being un-able to charge the AAA battery mid-way through depletion, it was a pain to not let it die. but, in the 3-4 months ive had it, that 7-8hr battery life has only failed me once. but if i can recharge it everyday once im done listening to it, it would never die so if i had to live with a 1g mini i could, but thankfully im getting a 2g in a few days.

gil2005

I feel your pain...stupidfresh
my mini does the same thing...only 4 hours of battery life
So, I called up Apple and requested for repair. Hopefully they will at least replace the battery...I doubt they will replace my mini though.

Last edited:

mad_core

i just went tot he apple store yesterday, i had to make an appointment with a Genius and after like 3 hours it was my turn, then he made me wait 2 more hours but he replaced my whole ipod right there no leaving it for repair or anything.

pointsix

I believe it's their policy to always replace. That's why they can send it back in a week. If they fixed every iPod and sent them back you'd have to wait weeks before they even got to fixing yours.

The one you send in is checked to see if it's really faulty. Then they send a replacement. I speculate that later they fix your iPod and but in the replacement pile to go to someone else. Or they might trash it if had, say, a big scratch mark on it. (Though I've heard of Apple denying service to scratched up iPods cause they think you've abused it and that's why it stopped working.)

NawdaKh

In reality, you *CAN* replace a battery from a 1G with a 2G. The title is bogus.

You could, but it would be somewhat pointless. :rolleyes:

apexi

Well folks as anticipated, there are now 750mah high capacity batteries available for all of your 1gen mini ipod owners out there, wishing you had longer battery life like the 2gen minis are getting.

The battery life improvements for the 2gens are clearly from more energy efficient processors AND NOT from the battery itself.

Since the original mini battery was 400mah, the 750mah ones should technically nearly double battery life = 15hrs. I say "technically" because in the real world, you don't want to put too much into all the marketing hype. However, these new high capacity batteries will definitely boost 1 gen battery life SIGNIFICANTLY!

lilspringer19

i need help

Alright.... i recenley reformated my cpu. i have all the music on my ipod but i dont want to earase. so my ? for you guys is how do i get it out of my ipod and into the libray ive tried hacking threw it and that dosent really work 2 well and ive tried other moving it into differant folders and that dosent help so maybe if u guys could help me figure this out itd be cool and less frusterating :)

Krn iPod

.asian
Chiccoboi, i'm pretty sure that means your battery is dead, and the only way to keep it on is to keep it connected to the charger, i think.

Krn iPod

dolbinau

Hi,

I have two iPods, a 1G mini and a 2G mini.

Unfortunately my 2G mini is totally screwed, Well, my Clickwheel is.

My 1G is alright but the battery in it is totally dead.

I want to replace the 1G Battery with my 2G Battery. I don't think I have read anyone in this situation or what would happen if it do it? (Still, same poor 1G battery life? Will it at least work?)

I could either do that, or replace the 2G mini with the 1G Clickwheel, (And possibly may need) the 1G Microdrive

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

funnyperson1

Website
filebox.vt.edu
You can replace the 1G battery with the 2G battery, but there won't be any battery life increase.

I am not sure about replacing the scroll wheel, but its worth a try.

If not you can always get a 750mAH mini battery off Ebay which would probably push the 1G battery life to 12-14 hours for like $12 shipped.