How To Copy songs from your iPod to your hard drive

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Wheels

So can I have Music Match on one computer and Itunes on another and be able to save songs from Ipod to Music Match computer? And then still use Itunes computer for downloads?

Serendipitous1

Copying files TO the IPOD?

I'd like to backup my hard drive onto my Ipod. (Why not, it's big enough!) How can I do this? (I know this can be done, it's just a hard drive afterall.)

Joanne

Hello Bill,
I recently had to reformat my windows and lost my playlist on my itunes. I understand that itunes does not support copy from ipod. I have music match and musicjukebox. I do not know what is ephpod or mc9. Though I only have about less than a thousand songs, but i really would not want to redo my playlist again. Is there a way I can copy my playlist back to my pc without having any changes in the playlists? It was a painful week to organize my playlist the way it is now, and I really do not wish to have to go through it again. Pls advise.

I am willing to download or use other programmes. But I would prefer to come back to itunes as it is very user friendly. U wouldn't mind downloading another player to copy my playlist then have it transfers to itunes. I am open for an suggestions. Pls help.

Joanne.

AndrewProudlove

Serendipitous1 : If you can see your Ipod as a hard disk in My computer, then the chances are that any other program will be able to as well.
I would recommend either Drive Image 7, or Ghost. Drive Image 7 will allow you to make compressed images of your drives, browse the image after its been created to extract single files or multiple files and also create backup jobs that will automatically backup the files you tell it too or that have changed at regular intervals.

Ghost on the other hand simply lets you make images of the drive as it was at the time you make the image.

Depending on the operating system your using, Win2000 and WinXP for example both have a built in backup utility too.

Otherwise if there are just certain files you want to backup, just drag them onto your ipod.

Hope this helps

AndrewProudlove

If possible could we add this info to the other info at the start of the thread?
I just wanted to add it as a lot of people are also using Anapod and it was excluded from the previous list.

Please note that what it written below, was taken directly from Red Chair Softwares website, and I placed it here merely as a quote and as information. I dont claim any credit etc for it.

Transferring files Back to the Computer with Anapod

To transfer a file on your iPod back to the computer, simply open Anapod Explorer to some area of your device and select the files you want to transfer. Then use one of the following two methods.

5.1.1 Drag and Drop

Once you've selected the files you want, you can simply drag and drop them to any location on your computer. This can be the Desktop, a folder on your computer in the left pane of Explorer, or another open Explorer window.

In this method, because of the way Windows handles drag and drop, Anapod must first copy the files from your iPod to a temporary folder on your computer. Once the transfer is complete, Anapod signals Windows to copy the files from the temporary folder to the final destination.

The temporary folder used for transfers to your computer is called "tx2pc" and is found under the main Anapod Explorer temporary folder, the location of which you can view and change under the "General" tab in the Configuration dialog. Remember that whichever hard disk you put your temporary folder on needs to have enough space to accomodate the transfers you plan to make. If your temporary folder and the destination folder are on the same hard disk, that disk will need twice as much free space as the total size of the files to be transferred.

A consequence of Windows' drag and drop mechanism is that if one of the files cannot be copied to the final destination, say because a file with the same name already exists, Windows will abort the whole transfer. If you had transferred a lot of files, this could be annoying. If this happens, you can still access the files in the temporary folder, which will remain there until the next transfer.

Due to the limitations of drag and drop described here, we recommend that you normally use the following alternative method of transferring files to your computer, "Copy to Computer".

5.1.2 Copy to Computer

This is the preferred method of transferring files from your iPod to your computer. Unlike drag and drop, "Copy to Computer" bypasses the temporary folder and transfers files directly to their destination on your computer. As a result, it is faster, does not require any temporary overhead space on your hard disk, and mimimizes complications.

To use this method, select the files you want, right-click, and select "Copy to Computer...". Anapod then displays a dialog where you select the transfer destination. Click "OK" and the transfer begins. Anapod also remembers the target folder you choose and makes it the default location for the next transfer.

xdeleon

if you just want to copy the entire contents of your ipod over (for example, if you want the files on two computers), just pop open windows find, choose the drive your PC reads the ipod as, and search for *.mp3

turn on hidden files & folders and if you're in XP, tell it to include those in its searches. It'll give you all the mp3 files on your ipod, which you can then copy elsewhere. The filenames usually suck, but if you're using itunes that doesn't matter.

Repeat as needed for AAC, AIFF, etc. I copied all my stuff from my home PC to my work PC without too much difficulty (other than the work PC having only USB 1.1)

Far as I know you can still only sync your ipod to one computer, but in windows at least there's nothing preventing you from copying the files off to your hard drive, and you certainly don't need any third party software to do it.

leonthepro

hi,
ephpod isnt allowing me to copy my songs (says 'system cannot find path specified'), so I was thinking over transferring the files manually by exploring the ipod. Thing is, I've found loads of old files that I deleted with ephpod, I though they were gone but they're still there on my ipod.
Is there a way I can select just my current files?
Can I use another program to extract the files? (xplay doesnt work on my computer).
thanks

leonthepro

okay, I managed to get ephpod to transfer the songs...the problem was the naming convention, you can't use a / in the filename (which ephpod puts in by default), I changed the '/' to '-' and it works.
Problem now is I'm getting the old tag names on my hard drive!!

jhansman

I just used Podutil to copy my iPod to another hard drive, and it works perfectly. You have to be careful how you do it, however, as you can end up with folders with just one artist and one song, as from a complilation CD. Otherwise, it is the tool I would recommend, and it's free!

Linky:

http://www.kennettnet.co.uk/software/

Last edited:

hauptman

I am having a problem here:

I imported many of my CD's onto my hard drive, which I then transferred to my iPod, all using iTunes for Windows. Everything worked fine. I use a laptop, so I have limited hard drive space, so I could not keep all of my music on my hard drive, so I delted most of it, while keeping it on my iPod. I just purchased an external hard drive for my laptop and I was trying to tranfer my music from my iPod to the hard drive, which worked fine using EphPod. The problem I am not having is that iTunes is now not recognizing any of the files that I created from CD's. The mp3 files I had from elsewhere all work fine, but none of the files that came from my CD collection is being recognized whatsoever. Does anyone have a clue as to what I can do to remedy this?

cardinalbj

i guess by reading alot of these replies, i must be the only one using musicmatch. my problem is that i have songs on my ipod that do not play, but they still show up on my ipod. i was told to save my songs and then reset my ipod. i have no clue how to save my songs using musicmatch. i have tried it before and i failed misserably. does anyone know how to either transfer my songs so i can reset my ipod, or know another way to delete the songs? thanks

dieu

Copying From iPod To Computer

I just totally screwed up my 3000+ library. I am in the process of copying all my MP3's from my iPod to my computer. I changed my system to view hidden files and I am copying from the iPod_Control folder. All appears to be copying as normal.

Is there some suprise restriction I am going to run into? I never stored ANY of my MP3's in the iTunes folder. I always stored them in a seperate folder named My Music 1.

Man, I hope this works...

dieu

Yes. Send all of your music from your library to your play list (drag and drop). Then, select the burn button. Your will need SmartSplit and you should save them as data files....

cardinalbj said:
i guess by reading alot of these replies, i must be the only one using musicmatch. my problem is that i have songs on my ipod that do not play, but they still show up on my ipod. i was told to save my songs and then reset my ipod. i have no clue how to save my songs using musicmatch. i have tried it before and i failed misserably. does anyone know how to either transfer my songs so i can reset my ipod, or know another way to delete the songs? thanks

GreatScot

Re: Copying From iPod To Computer

dieu said:
I just totally screwed up my 3000+ library. I am in the process of copying all my MP3's from my iPod to my computer. I changed my system to view hidden files and I am copying from the iPod_Control folder. All appears to be copying as normal.

Is there some suprise restriction I am going to run into? I never stored ANY of my MP3's in the iTunes folder. I always stored them in a seperate folder named My Music 1.

Man, I hope this works...
The only restriction that I found was that the filenames might be truncated. Perform a small test first.

dieu

Bill:

Perhaps I have missed something, but it appears that I have done exactly what you state iTunes is incapable of. I royally screwed up my library and was forced to start over. Rather than weed through 3000+ files placed across dozens of folders, I decided to copy all of the MP3?s from my iPod. What I simply did was copy all the folders from the iPod_Control folder. I am not sure if this is essential, but I never place my MP3?s in the iTunes folder.

Anyway, I re-imported all the music in the iTunes library, and all seems well. I am in the process of burning all 3000+ files through Roxio. I will report back?

SouthsideIrish said:
Using iTunes
This feature is not supported in iTunes

Bill McNair

Joanne

hauptman, itunes reads all files but WMA, you have convert these files to mp3 files first before itunes can read it and play it for you. You can use music jukebox, they have a converter which allows you to choose what bitrate you wan to convert your files to. I hope i answered you correctly.

And to all pc and ipod wizards in here, my itunes can read the playlist on my ipod when it is in the cardle. But when my ipod is not coneected, the playlist disappears from my itunes, how am i able to copy my playlist onto my itunes? I am a moron when it comes to pc, so whoever who intends to help me here, pls reply in full details. I have been stucj with this problem for the longest time, I hope someone will find a remedy for me soon. Much appreciated.

Joanne.
msn id [email protected]

Air Adam

jhansman said:
I just used Podutil to copy my iPod to another hard drive, and it works perfectly. You have to be careful how you do it, however, as you can end up with folders with just one artist and one song, as from a complilation CD. Otherwise, it is the tool I would recommend, and it's free!

Linky:

http://www.kennettnet.co.uk/software/
I'd agree with that, I've used it a bit and have found it useful. Another tip - as Podutil doesn't need to be installed, you can simply store a copy on the iPod and run it from there instead of having to have separate copies on work/home PCs, etc.

alidarbac

Website
www.sinosplice.com
Re: Copying from iPod to iTunes

Like someone else who posted earlier, I also just got an external hard drive for my laptop and I'm trying to transfer files from my Ipod to iTunes. I'm not having problems transfering the actual AAC files, but is there some way to transfer my song ratings? Could I just copy some file from the iPod and overwrite something in my iTunes library directory? I've transfered a good chunk of the music files, but it looks the ratings didn't come over as well. I would rather not have to go through again and enter the ratings for several hundred songs. Thanks.

---
3G 20Gig
Windows 2000
iTunes
one beat-up Dell laptop