itunes not finding all my music

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

ClownRacer

hey i searched and looked in the faq but couldnt find any info about this. Here is the problem just got a new(for me) 60 gig photo ipod :) i was all excited i pluged it into my computer set up itunes and started importing files. Well it was going well and i left it alone to do its thing when i got back i realised it had only found 3000 or so of the 12900 songs on my computer. The problem i figured out was that i have my files organized in folders and sub folders i.e. My Music>Rap>Biggie>Ready to die...etc etc it seems i tunes is only scanning the top folder and none of the subfolders is there a way to make it scan them? or really to just do a FULL system scan??

so far i have been trying to make a backup folder and just take all the files out of the folders but that sucks and i shouldnt have to do that + im running out of memory :(

DCapple

ClownRacer said:
hey i searched and looked in the faq but couldnt find any info about this. Here is the problem just got a new(for me) 60 gig photo ipod :) i was all excited i pluged it into my computer set up itunes and started importing files. Well it was going well and i left it alone to do its thing when i got back i realised it had only found 3000 or so of the 12900 songs on my computer. The problem i figured out was that i have my files organized in folders and sub folders i.e. My Music>Rap>Biggie>Ready to die...etc etc it seems i tunes is only scanning the top folder and none of the subfolders is there a way to make it scan them? or really to just do a FULL system scan??

so far i have been trying to make a backup folder and just take all the files out of the folders but that sucks and i shouldnt have to do that + im running out of memory :(

try to put it on one folder only then sort it out when its already transfered...well at least that works for me...

j j rousseau

With almost 13000 songs that might be a hassle... not to mention the computer memory required...

XXTwnz

Try this... Use Windows Explorer to search My Computer (all drives) for .mp3 (or whatever you use) files. When the search is done, drag all the files from the search window to the iTunes window.

veop01

I have this same problem... there is a "!" mark next to my song files. It worked fine before and now that appears all the time. How do I fix that problem? am i suppose to convert it to acc?

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
XXTwnz solution should work.

But people, people, start saving your lunch money so u can get another 250 GIG drive for lousy $99. Otherwise u will run into "other" problems, and if u keep MOVING your files to free up space, iTune doesn't like that. If u don't like how iTunes works, use something else.

Deadpool1205

So, I was searching the internet for a question I had. and came up on this...

When I FIRST downloaded Itunes, and installed it. the very first time I opened it, It asked if I wanted itunes to find all of my music files?

I said yes, and it searched EVERYTHING, all the folder, sub folders, all kinds of stuff.

and found music I didnt even know I still had.

So here is the problem, I recently moved alot of my music from one area to another, and those little "!"'s popped up again, First I couldnt find an option that would just auto delete those from the listing, and there were a BUNCH and they were scattered all over, and I didnt feel like Clicking each individually.

And I didnt want to do their little "Show Itunes Where it is" deal for EVERY single song either.

And I also Didnt want to re-import the music with all of the old locations still there.

SO i decided, well I'll just delete the whole listing (Not the music, just the actual listings) and then make it search my computer again...

Here is my problem. I cant find that option anywhere...

I have even went as far as to go into my "ITUNES" folder delete the library files and then delete Itunes altogether and re-install it. But It still wont do the search.

Could someone help me out here? tell me where that option went?

snowdog99

Deadpool, iTunes searching for music is a once only deal when you first install it. The only way to get it to happen again would be to remove every trace of iTunes from your computer and they reinstall it.

You'd probably do better to just use File>Add Folder to Library and select the folder where the music now is.

Last edited:

cjmnews

Staff member
The option does not exist. It only occurs the first time you install iTunes and will not do it again.

You should try to search for Music files on your computer and with your empty iTunes library, drag the files from the search window and drop onto iTunes.

Deadpool1205

Alright, thanks guys.

Thats kind of dumb though, You should be able to make it search your computer whenever you want it to.

snowdog99

iTunes is designed so that you do everything from within it - so it doesn't think you should need to re-scan for music.