AM radio for IPOD

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

yodafisc

Does anyone know if you can (or will be able to) get an adapter that will allow you to listen to AM radio on the IPOD? I know I could just spring 10 bucks for a little handheld radio, but it would be a lot more fun to have it on the IPOD.
Why do I want AM radio? Baseball and football games are NOT broadcast on FM, and talk radio is sometimes better than the "talk" radio on FM.

revmike

Website
www.
I don't believe this. Here is perhaps the world's best mp3 player and somebody wants to listen to am radio through it. Will wonders ever cease.

yodafisc

I thought this was an innocent question. I adore my IPOD, but I also adore my Mariners.

jiggles

Website
www.extreme-nepal.com
i don't get why people snub am radio! it's the best place to listen to wackos like art bell and rush - pure entertainment when the 1000+ tracks get boring. and ya can pick up channels in the middle of bumf**k kansas, or in my case bumf**k nepal. now only if rush would speak in nepali...

anyway, i am wishing for a 3g fm/AM reciever for my ipod in this lifetime.

ILoveMusic

YEA! I would like to have AM radio. I listen to Art Bell and Rush too...sometimes i like to unplug from the music from my iPod and listen to what's going on in the real world. Not many FM radio stations offer quality talk radio, except maybe public broadcasting and the BBC.

There aren't that many devices out there that offer FM, AM and some other audio source, but there are some CD players out there that offer all three. So it's not entirely impossible. It all depends if Apple sees it as a practical addition to the iPod...which i highly doubt they will consider.

yodafisc

Yes, but does it have to be Apple? what about Griffin? They already make the iFM for 1G & 2G 'pods. Just make the iFM the iRadio, build it as a remote replacement for the current remote that comes with the 3G ipod, and build a display into it that would show radio stations, and possible songs too. Who wouldn't buy a remote that showed the songs being played and that doubled as a radio when you want to catch the news on the bus?

ILoveMusic

yodafisc that sounds like the ultimate remote right there. I wouldn't care if it was wired or wireless. The funcionality alone makes it worth buying. I really do hope that someone releases a better remote (wired or wireless) for the iPod. The #### original remote can't even clip on securely...at least make it do that.

Neil33

The problem with making a small AM add-on is with the antenna design. It's MUCH harder to get an effective signal from AM than with FM. If you notice most stereos use some kind of "loop" antenna to pick up AM stations, and shrinking it down to fit inside a small add-on is going to be really difficult I would imagine.

For all the Art Bell and other talk radio people out there just do what I did- download a program called Replay Radio and use it to record what you want off the internet and then you can transfer it to your iPod and listen whenever you want. Works great!

ILoveMusic

Neil33, can you post a link to that program you are using? I would love to download these late night talk radio shows. It would give me something else to listen to when i study late night in the library. Buying another radio would be too much for me to carry around. I'm a gadget freak...but i like to travel light.

I don't think it would be very difficult to make a small AM reciever. Like i said, there are some CD players out there with FM and AM recievers. Also, have you seen those small FM/AM portable radios? Sony has a small one, Radio shack sells some nice portable radios that are palm size. It may be harder getting them smaller than that, but it would still be neat to have the capability for the iPod.

Neil33

Here it is. It didn't seem to like to play nice with Itunes open at the same time, but once I exited iTunes it worked great!