• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Switchers Stories

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

skruggie

Does switching from a stereo and old faishoined walkman (the kind that plays regular cd's, not mp3's? count?

The ipod was my first forray into the world of portable mp3's. I had grown out of my whole music obsession from high school and college, which is where all of my original music equipment was. A friend of mine is really really really into apple and sold me her 3g ipod which she was no longer using...the rest is history. I wore that one out to death and bought myself a new photo ipod when they were retailing for $600. My music collection has grown to the insane proportions of almost 80 gigs and I can't even fathom the way I used to listen to music.

Boy do I wish that I was a teenager during the digital music age.....I can't believe how much crap we used to carry around to listen to music back then!

Dougfnj

Ipod, do you?
iPod Appreciation

I am now 33, I grew up in the 80's listening to cassettes and Sony Walkman products that were able to condense their product to as small size as possible, with as much sound quality that was available at the time, and at that point I was luck to pull a good 5 hours battery life from continuous listening to cassettes. In the late 90's I got my first MP3 player that had a small SD card that I was able to fit maybe 3-4 CD's worth of low quality bitrate songs onto it, but I loved the size and durability of it for working out, and using it for it's portability.

I purchased my 1st Ipod about 3 years ago. It was the 3rd Generation Ipod black and white with 20 gig capacity. I transferred my whole CD Collection with low compression got decent sound out of it, and loved that sucker. Now I am a huge geek, when something new comes out, I like to have it, I have always loved having the newest technology available and learning about it, and basically getting the most out of a toy that I possibly can, so I upgraded to the 4G 30 Gig black and white with at the time the brand new click wheel. I started learning more about bitrates and sound quality, so I upgraded my entire CD collection on that Ipod and Maxed it out. I then upgraded to the 60 Gig color, along with my Alpine Head unit with the Ipod connector to get optimal sound quality with no tape or radio connections to distort any of the sound. I also upgraded my earbuds to the E3c's, but I was disappointed to a degree about the the strange Audio problem with that Ipod, It didn't happen to a lot of songs, but it was happening, and I was noticing it. Then Apple releases the 5G Ipod Video. Stores were sold out immediately, but I found the last Circuit City in NJ that seemed to have had any, and I got the last one. I brought it home opened it, plugged it in and downloaded everything immediately to the new Ipod, went to the Music Store and downloaded a couple of Demo videos ITMS put out there, and was absolutely impressed with what I saw and heard. I popped in the music that I got the strange crackling with on my previous Ipod, and didn't hear the problem at all. I then sold the 60 Gig video on Ebay knowing my new Ipod was officially replacing it. The better sound quality on my new video Ipod has really pleased me, especially the better bass response, but then watching an episode of Battlestar Galacticca, I was a bit disheartened to find 3 dead pixels on the lower left side of the screen. I called Circuit City to confirm I could exchange it, and for 2 weeks, none of the stores in my area had any in stock. I had finally gotten an email confirming that a store 25 miles away received some, I called them, they put one aside, and I exchanged my slightly defective unit for a brand new one. I got home, loaded it up with my library, and confirmed no dead pixels on the screen at all.

So here is the deal, although I had the initial issue with the Ipod Video, I am so happy with this new version of one of the greatest audio (and now video) inventions of my time. I used to have a car load of CD's and cases all over my car, and all over my entertainment stands and tables, and I have compacted phenomenal sound quality of my entire collection into something the size of a Cassette case. I have a small speaker set in my office, and I listen to whatever I want whenever I want wherever I want. I have compared sound quality from my Ipod to my CD's and found little difference if any difference at all between the 2 sources, and it has organized my entire collection of music in a fashion I never would had thought possible. We can voice our complaints about minor problems with this product, scratches, pixels, little movement with the clickwheel. However, If you appreciate what these units really are from the very beginning, I find it so impressive how far we have come in the very short span of 5 years to get fit a high sound quality music music collection into something this small, with this much capacity, and very good battery life compared to what was available before these were released to the masses.

Thanks for reading through a nostalgic moment of my gratitude of modern technology, I hope to hear from others who fel the same.

aquatika

Well said, I also have been using an iPod since the 3rd gen days. I sold the 3rd gen on e-bay but I've still got the 4G mono that replaced it full of Apple Lossless and connected to my Denon stereo at home.

I think the 5G is a superb piece of engineering and everytime I use it it astounds me how far this technology has come. The ease of use along with iTunes is superb and when I think about the old days of trying to copy a vinyl LP to a cassette for use on a Walkman it makes me cringe.

Long may Apple continue with the iPod. Infact, I have been so impressed it promted me to buy an iMac when my PC required upgrading.

aquatika

Thought I better post a better story as my previous post was moved from another thread, and it's not really a switcher story.

I won't mention the plethora of differing Cassette, CD and MD (mostly Sony to be honest) players I've gone through, suffice to say they have been many but have all lacked something and never lasted long.

My first real foray into the world of compressed music (barring MD) was about 4 years ago with an iRiver 256mb flash player (iFP190t), great little player and very sturdy. I remember the day it slipped from my hand and went clattering and sliding across my wooden floor, not a mark or defect resulted though.
I soon found this wasn't enough storage so I thought I would buy an iRiver iMP 400 "Slim X" which played MP3 CD's as well as "real" CD's, my thinking being that a cd wallet with CD's full of MP3's was still better than a wallet with only 12 audio CD's. Lovely design for a portable CD player very sleek. I kept both of these for a while as a compliment to each other.

Then iRiver released the iHP 100, a 10gb hard drive player so I thought why not ?? sold the 190 and the 400 on ebay and bought one. Expensive at the time, 350 quid, if I remember correctly but another great machine which I really liked (yes, I was an iRiver freak !! which kind of disproves the myth, bandied by some iRiver fans, that most iPod owners are shallow fashionistas who don't research their DAP buying choices. I was even one of the original members of the MisticRiver forum when it started up although I've not been there for a long time now).
I did really like this player (I won't say a bad word about it) but by this time my MP3 collection was hitting the 15gb mark so I thought okay I'll just wait until iRiver release a 20gb version, which they did eventually.

So, there I am sitting at my PC (having sold the iHP100) just about to buy the new 20gb from my usual online retailer when I suddenly think "what about an iPod ?". I thought about it for a few days and ended up think "why not ?" if I don't like it I'll just sell it on ebay and get the iHP120 instead.
So I bought a 3G 20gb iPod (from a high street retailer this time), couldn't wait to get it home. I was impressed with the black, classy looking box but that was just the start. When I slid the inner box from it's outer sleeve and opened it's booklike sides I was blown away, I couldn't believe a company would go to this trouble to package an item (my iHP had come in one of those plastic bubble packages).
I was afraid to disturb the little white iPod because it all just looked so classy. All the items packed into their own little places and just looking fantastic (I'm glad that Apple seem to be returning to this classy look, albiet with smaller boxes, after the gaudy 4G boxes). Maybe this first experience was a contributing factor to why I keep buying iPod's, who knows ?.

Anyway, suffice to say I did eventually take it all out of the packaging and loved it. My concern at not buying the iHP vanished.
The integration with iTunes was superb and the iPod itself just looked and sounded great and I preferred it's flatter sound over the iHP's.

When the 4G's came out I thought "that's for me", better battery life and an upgrade to a 40gb hard drive. So onto ebay went the 3G (sometimes I'm still disappointed I sold it) and I bought my 4G.

My Shuffle was an impulse buy, I thought that will do as a combined flashdrive/ music player but I like it for it's quirkyness.

I ordered a 5G the day they were available from the UK Apple store, again I love it, but I'm not selling the 4G this time. Decided to keep it and store my Apple Lossless on it.

That's my story, it's maybe a story of increasing addiction. Who knows ?? but I'll say one thing my previous music players never lasted long either through not being good enough or because something else came along that tempted me.
None of my iPod's has ever let me down nor had any problems, the build quality is excellent, they are easy to use and do what they are built to do well. What more could you want ?.
It's maybe cost me a small fortune on iPod's, the odd accessory (a battery pack for the 3G, an Altec Lansing speaker here or an FM transmitter there and a pile of cases) but who cares, I'm 39, work hard and can afford it.

Now the only thing that tempts me is when a new iPod appears.

:rolleyes: :D

Last edited:

xavierh

My first MP3 player (back in 2002) was the NexII compact flash mp3 player. great bargain, but not so great sound. In November 2003 I was looking for an mp3 player and I did not want to spent a lot of money but wanted something that sounded good. I got a Creative Labs Nomad Zen NX (20 GB). It was bulky but it was good and the sound was great.
When the nano was announced I was debating if I should replace my trusted nomad with it. when I finally decided the nano was the way to go...apple announces the ipod with video (30GB) and I was hooked. I finally found a device worthy of replacing my trusted nomad zen.

I got my ipod in November and I have never looked back.

wicker_man

METAL!!!
Website
www.myspace.com
Back when the first iPod was released, I couldn't really see the point of these expensive players which hold way too much music than people need. This is when I went from tapes to a portable CD player.

Then, when the 3G iPod came out, some friends got one and I thought they are actually pretty cool.

Soon after, I purchased a 128mb non-branded flash player with SD card slot and a 256mb card. It was enough for my very small MP3 collection to rotate songs every week or so.

When the new 5g iPod was announced, I wanted it, my music collection was growing into thousands of songs and my CD hifi system was being used less and less. Unfortunately I didn't get one for Christmas, because of the expense and I was forced to carry on using my flash player, picking just a few songs every day to load on.

Last week, one of my friends who had a 40GB 3rd gen iPod dropped it and broke the hard drive. He received a 60GB 5th gen one, so I brought the dead 3G for £18 to resurrect.

Today, I received replacement parts and fixed it, and now have it working with a 20GB hard drive. The total cost was less than £100, and now it is almost filled with my music library and will become my trusty MP3 player until I can afford a 60GB video enabled iPod (I am a student with no job).

I like the design of the 3rd gen, with no moving parts on the front, the touch buttons and most of all the red illumination :)

toothpaste

I went to the beach with a friend on a nice sunny day in 2003. She had an ipod. I played around with it a bit, but it took some time before I went to the Apple Store SOHO (NYC) to check out the new ipods (3g generation at the time). I was so impressed at the ease of use and the capacity that I bought one that day. With only a few hundred cd's at the time, the ipod (3g 40gb) was ample for my collection. Since then my music library has exploded to over 160gb. With still another couple hundred records, and a few shoe-boxes filled with tapes that have yet to be converted. To manage this library, I started looking around at a new computer as my aging windows machine was not sufficient. Being impressed with the ipod, I went back to the Apple Store and started looking that the Powermacs. A few days later, I had a Powermac dual 2.5. I give credit to the ipod for sparking more interest for me in Apple. I think many people have similiar stories to mine, I'm glad I got an ipod as I can listen to my music anywhere, rediscovered many artists and made internet friends as a result of similiar tastes in music.

puppyprincess

I always wanted a way to carry all of my music in my pocket. I'm very indecisive, so I like to have a choice instead of lugging around all my CDs. So, about a year a go I got the Dell Digital DJ 20 for Christmas. I loved it. It did what I wanted. However, after a few months it was so boring. It was ugly and didn't do anything.

So, I started looking around. I hadn't really wanted an iPod, but when I saw them, I thought nothing could beat that. Besides a lot of people had them, so they must be good. So I asked for one, and I got a new 5G 30 gig. for Christmas this year. It's so much more exciting and more fun to listen too. I love my baby!

Lady21

I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar!
I got my first boombox and cassette walkman the same day 1996, when I was 11. Those were sufficient for my cassette tapes and two or three CDs :) However, the Sanyo boombox broke and my dad bought me a Sony. Around this time I had also gotten a Panasonic portable CD player.

I worked with these for a few years. When I was 17, I got a Sony CD Walkman, and at 18, a Pansonic home stereo system for my room. This was 2003 and the iPod 3G was a sensation at university. By this time my CD collection numbered around 600-700 and I loved the idea of the iPod. I asked for one for my 19th birthday, when the Mini was released, but due to hectic family circumstances never got one :(

I finally got a 20GB 4G iPod for Christmas 2004, a gift from my dad. I loved it (still do) and spent the entire rest of the holidays filling it. In October 2005 I picked up a Shuffle 512 MB for going to work and when I didn't feel comfortable walking around with the expensive 20GB.

I ran out of space on the 20GB long ago and am now saving up to get myself a 60GB (5G, but I would prefer getting my hands on an old 4G because I love the design and don't really need the video) before the summer when I travel.

daleam

Behind You
I could never really see the interest and hype around iPod's, I never really needed all that storage.

I went from a tape player to a crappy CD player, then to the Sony Minidisc MZR900. I liked it's portability and it had LP4!!! That's 4 CD's on one MD, woohoo!!

I soon realised that it wasn't much more 'portable' than my CD player was, I still had to carry around all my MD's, so nothing had really changed.

Okay, time for an MP3 player, but which one. In the end I decided to go for a 128MB Philips Key006, it was the shuffle before the shuffle, but didn't actually have a shuffle function. It has no screen and no controls on the actual player itself, it is controlled through a neck strap. But hey I liked it, its all I needed, I could get a couple of albums on it, and changed the content daily.

However after a while, my collection started to grow, and I needed something a little bigger, I looked around and decided on a 2-6GB player. But which one? At this point, I had used an iPod, and could see what everyone was raving about, but I didn't want the shuffle, I wanted something with a screen. A couple of weeks into my search and the Nano was released, OH MY GOD. I had to get one, its exactly what I was looking for, no other player was good enough.

Well, anyway, I got my Nano and im very happy with it. Might have to upgrade to the 30Gigger though in the future.

Derek McNelly

Website
www.myspace.com
December 1996 - Got a Kenwood portable CD player ($300 with 45 seconds of skip protection, which was pretty awesome for it's time.)

November 2002 - Kenwood dies, purchase a $50 Sony Psyc Walkman.

August 2003 - Sony Psyc is stolen, replaced with $50 Panasonic MP3/CD player.

November 2003 - Purchased 32MB iRiver MP3 Player for $10 from a friend.

January 2004 - Purchased Sony MZ-NE410 MiniDisc recorder/player for $100.

August 2004 - Panasonic MP3/CD stolen by ex-girlfriend.

December 2004 - Purchased Creative MuVo TX FM 256MB for $100.

October 2005 - Sony MZ-NE410 dies. Talked into getting iPod by an iLounger (kornchild2002).

December 2005 - Recieved 20 GB iPod 4G Color for X-mas. ($250) Sold Creative MuVo for $50.

machima

Around 1999 - Bought a used Panasonic portable CD Player. Worked very well for years.

Late 2003 - MP3 players progressed to a state where the price to storage ratio was right for me. At that point I realised that lugging CD's around was too annoying, and that an MP3 player is more practical.

February 2005 - iPod shuffle was released. Thought that for the price why not. Bought that while it was good and played the songs, I really, really need a screen. The whole "Life is random" slogan just didn't stick with me. Nevertheless, intent to not make my purchase go to waste I kept it, eyeing those iPod mini's every now and then.

September 2005 - I was finally sick of the shuffle, and was about to buy a mini, but then the nano was released a couple days before I was planning to buy a mini. Got the 4gb White nano and have been satisfied ever since. The next player i'll get will probably be the next nano revision.

gonzo_BobH

Website
pinchme.com
Love my broken iPod Shuffle

Wonder when I will receive a working one.

Bought a really cool Rio back in the day - that didn't work either.
Bought and love my solid-steel feeling Dell Jukebox 15G. Upgraded the firmware to Dudebox and what a nice device, despite it's weight it was built rock solid.

But rocks get heavy, I decided to get a nano. Except I always, always play my music on shuffle -- so what the heck, get a shuffle.

Looked as sexy as apple products are. Ordered early in December for myself, Xmas present. Got it -- and it didn't work. Sent it back and, and, and, and, today is, is -- what -- almost February, and my iPod is still in the mail.

Love you apple. Love buying apple products for my kid. Laptops, etc.
Love getting screwed over for Xmas by Steve and friends for a known product fault. Love giving my money to a company and receiving crap. Sexy, broken crap. Oh Yeah! Sexy, sexy, white crap-o-lah.

That's my story.
I had given my Dell to my daughter when the shuffle came in.
Didn't have the heart to take it back.

Now, I am carrying my awesome-but-kinda-large-for-an-MP3-player PSP for my hikes. Don't mind that much, since I carry a backpack.
But I did spend a buck and change for a worthless pack-of-gum sized nothing.

Stupid shuffle.

Hahahaha. Stupid, stupid shuffle.

/s/
BobH
:rolleyes:

GP1138

I used to be a die-hard CD player fanatic, after my early days of being a complete tape-head. I constantly had headphones around my neck in high school, with a CD player always in the right pocket of my khaki pants, ready for action. I started out with a good old-fashioned 10 second ESP player, eventually upgraded to a plain MP3 CD player, and then a super-deluxe Sony Walkman CD-MP3-ATRAC-MakesJulianFries player. Having reached the end of that tunnel, and after seeing my friend's brand new iPod in '01, I decided that it was time for me to own an MP3 player that didn't involve CD's.

I started out innocently enough, with a little iPaq MP3 player my sister gave me, but that wasn't enough. Ten songs? 64MB of space? Screw that noise. I had a job and got my tax refund, and that was the beginning. I bought a 15GB iPod 3rd gen, and was instantly in music heaven. The device was full by the first week since I bought it, and I was constantly deleting and adding music. In the car, I installed a cassette deck and used the trusty Sony cassette adapter, and my entire music collection was at my fingertips.

Eventually, the good times ended, I had a personal debt and had to sell my iPod. I bought a car MP3/CD deck, and was back to my old ways, carrying stacks of CD's, shuffling through them at stoplights, trying to clean scratched discs on the freeway, and constantly wishing I had burned just one more album by x band before I'd left home.

Eventually, I tired of the shuffling and cleaning. I yearned to have a DAP I could listen to in bed at night, and put in my pocket, knowing if I heard a song I loved in a store, I could go out to my car and sift through and listen to it myself, on a whim.

I saved extra paycheck money and bought an iPod mini open boxed at Circuit City, and wondered why I'd sold my iPod in the first place. I loved the damn thing, though I was shuffling music on and off of the tiny hard drive even more than I'd done with the 15GB.

And right after that, Apple came out with the video-enabled 5G iPod. The week they shipped, I went out to Circuit City, returned the Mini, and bought a 4G Photo at Best Buy, being $40 short of the 5G at the time. I immediately regretted it, as the 4G was big, bulky, and just felt clumsy. I also had a large desire to watch movies on it, and eventually, I went back to Best Buy. I told them I wanted to exchange it for a new 5G, and I'd pay the difference.

They informed me that they were out of the 5G, so I decided to just get a gift card and wait. As they took the 4G into the back to test it, I stood looking around, and I felt a tap on the shoulder. It was a Best Buy drone, holding a black 5G 30GB, saying "Look what I found!"

So I own a 5G Black 30GB video-enabled iPod. It's come a long way, but I wouldn't trade this one for anything. At least, not until the 6G comes out. ;)

voUL

Website
www.techie.co.nr
Well, my story is a recent one (it's happened in the last few weeks)but I've had enough experience with the product in question to know that it is crap.

I'll admit, I'm a bit of a non-conformist...so when I was walking through various electronics stores to buy my first mp3 player (I'm 13, I can't believe I held off this long) this Christmas, I had a bit of a "don't-get-an-ipod-because-the-battery-is-####-and-they're-just-a-fad-and-they're-crap-even-though-i've-only-used-one-briefly" attitude. I liked the look of the iRiver H10 (5 Gig). Correction: I fell in love with it. Nothing could sway me from 'iRiver kick's Apple's ###'. By Christmas, I had read every H10 review on the net.

When Christmas arrived and I opened the Box to find my brand-new spanking iRiver, I loved it for...say...a week. My family and I were going overseas. To cut a long story short, some friends of ours were staying in the hotel we were and every single member of their family had an iPod. Between them they'd definitely have every generation of every model. Easily. The oldest kid, I'll just call him Bill, had a 30 gig iPod (5th Gen...the video one). We debated for about 1/2 an hour about whose mp3 player was better. Remember, at this stage, I still thought mine was the best thing since sliced bread.

He told me to use his iPod a bit to see if I could really see the difference. After about 10 minutes, I could tell that the iRiver firmware...is really, really ####. Just by using it, seeing how seamlessly the iPod operates - really did shock me. I thought the slowness and clunky interface of the iRiver was just normal.

So I moped around a bit, regretting that I had chosen the inferior product just because I didn't want to be one of the head-bopping-white-earbud-wearing fanboys. I realised, the reason they're so popular is because they're actually good. I then read the iPod reviews. I think I'd been subconciously not wanting to read them because I knew they'd be good. I was right. There's not one bad review on an iPod I can find.

So, here I am. I told my mum yesterday that I'm going to buy an iPod (with my own money of course). I was feeling really guilty because I'd spent 400 bucks on this iRiver (I'm australian, 400 AUD) and now wasn't really going to use it. She said she'd gladly take it off my hands. :) :) She's a major classical music listener and she said she was thinking of getting one anyway. So things have panned out.

I need to make something like 500 bucks to get my iPod. She's paying me ten bucks an hour for practicing the violin. I've got a competition coming up so I'd be doing 1 1/2'ish anyway. So if I do 2 hours a day (which will be painful:rolleyes: ) I can have a video playing, photo-viewing iPod sitting in my hot little hands within a month.

The moral of this story is:

Don't do what I did. Use one of your friends iPod before buying anything else and don't be blinded by your attitude. I've been over to the other side, and trust me - it isn't all it's cracked up to be.

BillClinton

Former First Lounger
I don't remember the dates, and I don't plan on looking them up. My first portable player was the Sony Walkman - I'm talking the original cassette player (yes, I'm that old). It was wonderful. I was in college; I could walk through campus, or nap in the library listening to my walkman - could it get any better?!

After a number of years (quite a number) later, I found myself driving a lot and in need of something else - I ended up getting a portable CD player from Phillips - it was used pretty much in the car. It worked well and even included 60 second antiskip protection - wow, could technology get any better.

Again, I found myself in the car a lot - longer commute - and one day I was ####ed at the wife for continuing to spend money on ####, so I dropped a load on something for me - I am so glad I was ####ed off at my wife! The versatility and ease of use of iPod/iTunes is wonderful. I listen to as much music as I do podcasts and audiobooks. What is going to happen in another few years?!

mightymouse

My story is simple: I was fed up with low tech and unreliability.

Here's somewhat of a timeline for the mp3 players that I've owned:
1. Rio Nike Player (32 mb)
-- from this point I went on a cd player streak, owning 2 cd players in a span of 2 months
2. Sony's Network Walkman (the old one with expandable memory and whatever)
3. iriver triangle player (monochrome screen, 256 mb memory)
4. Zen Micro
5. Ipod 4g 30gb photo
6. Ipod shuffle
7. Ipod Nano

The reason for ditching 1: TOO LITTLE MEMORY, ####ty battery life, and the thing just died on me.
2: it was a beautiful, small player. the only problem was that the memory cards were proprietary and useless for other things, and were incredibly expensive. the li battery was also unreliable after about 5 months or so, and cost 70 dollars to replace. sonicstage was very slow too.
3: bad build quality and it just died, bad battery life, horrible firmware. i liked all the features tho- voice recording, blah blah
4: headphone jack died on me- i was getting bored of monochrome screens, and wmp 10 was hard to use, and the battery life sucked
5: starting out with the ipod- i switched. very pleasant to use
6: shuffle was released: could not resist
7: nano released: ordered the second day it came out, got it within a week

The 30gb ipod is now my brother's, and I keep the nano. The reason why I switched was simply for beauty and ease of use. I wanted a reliable player that did what I wanted to do and wasn't filled with a dumb firmware. I also enjoyed all the third party software and accessories available for it.

I love the iPod. Period.

Bobboes

My Story:

I decided to see what this whole MP3 player thing was all about, so I bought little 64mb RCA Kazoo MP3 player. I fit about 20 songs encoded at 96kbs MP3 format. It was nice, so I decided to go bigger.

About a half a year later, I got a 40gb RCA Lyra Jukebox, it was probably almost an inch thick and had a monochrome screen with a blue backlight. The battery life was about 6-10 hours. This was 2003 keep in mind, so this was pretty good.

I didn't fill up much of the 40gb, but I liked having the extra space for backing up files and stuff.

Then I decided to buy a Sony Minidisc player. It was way smaller, and you could keep buying discs, so the storage was almost unlimited. That was what I was using for my music then.

Also, I was always against iPods, cause I thought they were over-rated and over priced, but little did I know that it was very powerful.

Then Apple came out with the iPod photo and my opinion of the iPods changed almost immediatly. I just HAD to get my hands on one. Finally in March of 2004, I bought my first iPod photo 30gb. At the time, it was $350, I bought it before Apple dropped the price. (I was very mad the day I found out the price dropped, I could have saved 50 bucks!)

This was one of the best things I ever bought, and with all my friends envying me for the color screen, it felt great to have one. Most of my friends had the monochrome 3g or 4g iPods at the time.

I then bought an iSkin case for it cause it was getting scratched and I couldn't let my $350 iPod get scratched up!

But now, the clickwheel stopped working, so I'm iPod-less, and I'm looking to buy the iPod 30gb. But I'm short on cash at the moment!

mjmoonwalker

Website
eminemjamesuk.com
I started in 2000 using a tape player/FM I received (where was I until 2000!??!). I had a number of tapes I listened to, particularly Michael Jackson's Thriller. Afterwards I purchased a Panasonic CD Player for my rising CD collection. I was somewhat content. I was swooned by the iPod and its awesome looks in summer 2004. It wasn't until Christmastime when I finally decided to pick one of these things up. I purchased a 4G 20GB and got hooked. I pimped it out with cases, remotes, the whole nine yards. Though I got it replaced three times due to faulty battery, I'm still an iPod believer and am very content with the iPod.

I plan to get a replacement for this iPod sometime before this one dies. I'm thinking of a Shuffle/nano for working out and a 5G or 6G for full-time use. As for the 4G, docking use for my home stereo and to use on long car rides with the 5G/6G.

musiclover92

I was using a cd and cassette player for years, got tired of lugging cds and cassettes around, and those battery stops, got a nano, still use cds and cassettes at home though, just to perserve battery life, or listen on either of my 2 computers