Help! all music has disappeared!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Zepfan

I had 38Gb of music stored on my 60GB 5G ipod however it all seems to have disappeared. The iTunes window shows nothing in the library however it still indicates that the hard diskk is 38Gb full. Windows file manager also indicates that the iPOd's hard drive is 38Gb full, so all the songs must still be there. I've tried resetting the iPod and using another computer to no avail.

Can someone please help me?

mrdantownsend

mrdantownsend
Website
www.freewebs.com
make sure that hidden files and folders are checked.

then go to My Computer > (ipod) > iPod_Control > Music

YOu should see a bunch of folders. If you go in them there should be music files named things like AZQC or CHZN

They're youre music files.

I'm not sure how you can get iTunes to recognize it though.

But your music should still be there!

dupreeblue

Website
www.moelinks.com
this just happened to my boyfriend's ipod as well. it was working fine, he ran an installer of the latest yamipod, and then it all disappeared. (Sorry I can't be more specific, I wasn't there.)

I turned on hidden files & folders and saw all the music in the 'ipod control' folder - i also saw a folder named 'yamipod' - what the hell is that about? i deleted it.

now i see all his music there, but itunes & the ipod don't see it. he doesn't have the harddrive space to copy over those 55gb of files & do a reformat/reinstall of the ipod and then re-transfer the music. how do i get the ipod to recognize that the files are there?

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
Try "resetting" the iPod. This is different from a reformt and might jar the iPod into rerecognizing the files.

Does he have a DVD burniner or CD burner? If only a CD burner it could be a long process but darggin directly to CD or DVD for Burning and saving temporarily whle a reformat could be done.

That being said usually a reset will jar the iPod back to normal. Doesn't always work. Restart the computer and iTunes as well to help jar everything back to normal.

dupreeblue

Website
www.moelinks.com
resetting didn't work. i'm going to try starting it in disc mode, connecting it to my mac, and then taking the files off. Then he'll reformat it for his pc. it sucks, but it seems to be the only solution. i just wish i knew why the hell this happened! or how to fix it, for that matter.

coolaid

CopyPod, iPod Updater, iTunes and hard disk space solves this problem

I had exactly the same problem with my 40G 3rd generation iPod and 33G in use. Everything was working fine, I've added an album to my iPod (iTunes with manual update), disconnected it from my windows PC, switched on the iPod: No artists, playlists, songs... :eek: I did a reset by pressing the play and menu button. No use. My About window of the iPod said: 0 songs, capacity used: 33G. I connected the iPod to the PC again. Nothing in iTunes except an error. In Windows Explorer I was able to see al the MP3 files in the iPod_control\Music\F00 to F49 hidden folders of the iPod Drive. So I copied these to my hard drive (check first if you have enough space). Then loaded it into iTunes (add folder to music library) and that's it.

Two awkward things with that method: my playlists are not copied and all my song ratings are not copied. I deleted all the songs from the hard drive again and tried ephPod, but unfortunately it did not recognize the songs on the iPod (same as iTunes). Then I used a program called CopyPod and that solved my problem. CopyPod listed all the songs of the corrupted iPod, together with all the playlists AND all my song ratings and playcounts. :) I copied all the songs to my hard drive (mp3 format if you choose Copy To iTunes, m4a format if you choose Copy to folder). The process takes an hour or so. I then ran the iPod Updater program (download the latest version from the apple site) to format the iPod and used iTunes (with all my saved songs copied by CopyPod) to put it all back to the iPod. Everything is working fine again!! :cool: but it took me some time...

However, I don't know exactly what caused this problem, I guess a bug on the iPod while synching some songs. After copying all the songs to ITunes, CopyPod showed me an ErrorLog with 10 erronous songs which were listed on the iPod but not found. I guess that could be the origin of this problem.

CopyPod is not freeware, it costs 20 dollars but my 4000 song ratings and playlists are worth it in my opinion. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Lilly1988

frustration!

my ipod nano first generation has no music on there...it's just empty all of a sudden, yet when i plug it in to my computer it says it's full and it cannot be updated... please someone help!!!:confused:

-cyber-punk-

EXACT same thing happened to me but by a total stroke of luck, in iTunes, I went to the music tab and unclicked display album artwork, it deleted all the artwork for my 250+ albums which I wasn't too pleased at, but that solved the problem, so maybe it was a corrupt image or artwork install.

Enjoy

abiallan

Re

use iPhones software and try to synchnorize ur ipod with ur pc and get fixed:p :)