The Best Free iPod to PC Transfer Program

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

dano420

I'm wondering what the best free program is for transfering music from an iPod (mines a 4G 60GB photo) to a PC is. Other features like PC to iPod transfer and media library support would be nice too, but mainly I'm lookin for iPod to PC. Any help the collective iLounge wisdom could bestow upon me would be greatly appreciated!

Jim101

Is anyone using "Sharepod"? It appears from the site that it plays with any iPod and any Windows operating system....
Any opinions? I guess you can move data with it as well..

Thanks,

Jim

Dancar

Website
www.livejournal.com
I basically happy with iTunes except for one withheld feature: copying files from an iPod to a Windows PC.

I've a bit scared from messages here about various 3rd Party programs messing things up and rendering an iPod unreadable from iTunes.

What is the best way to transfer music from an iPod to a PC without risking screwing up iTunes/iPod?

chasevern

Dancar said:

I've a bit scared from messages here about various 3rd Party programs messing things up and rendering an iPod unreadable from iTunes.

What is the best way to transfer music from an iPod to a PC without risking screwing up iTunes/iPod?
Dude, those are my thoughts EXACTLY. Some of the stuff I've seen about 3rd party programs scare me, and I'm looking for something RELIABLE that will work on my computer here in my dorm that runs Windows 98, but at home I use Windows XP and I'm a long way from home.

GadgetGuru72

Jim101 said:
I'm going with IPod Agent....Looks to be the best.....

Jim
iPod Agent is the old name. It's now called PodPlus and is created by Purple Ghost Software, an offshoot of the company that originally created iPod Agent.

I'm using PodPlus and I think it's fantastic.

Jim101

Gadget,

Yes that is what I meant....It appears to be the most organized and does what I am looking for, may have to buy it...

Thanks,
Jim

chasevern

I'm considering YamiPod. (I use Windows 98SE in my dorm.) I just hope it doesn't make my iPod unrecognizable in iTunes when I get back home.

isanity

I tried using Yamipod, but couldn't work out how to use it with my pod (5G). It also has lots of scary warnings about its chances of destroying your music collection, which is refreshingly honest, but rather off-putting.

I used Podplus with no problems recently- it only reads from the ipod, so it can't mess up your database. The only trouble is it's shareware; the free trial is one month, I think.

chasevern

Yeah, I couldn't get YamiPod to work with my 5G video iPod either. Something is telling me not to use that program. It just gave me errors. Problem is that I have to have iTunes to get PodPlus to work, and I'm on Windows 98SE.

I tried YamiPod with my nano. Not sure what all it mucks with, but I did notice it puts a folder with several files on your iPod. Every time I try it... the nano says, "do not disconnect" the entire time iTunes is up. Whether it's updating or not. :(

Restoring the nano to 1.0, reloading my tune library, and then updating to 1.1 fixes the problem.

YamiPod ain't ready for prime-time, imho.

chasevern

It's a good thing that YamiPod wouldn't work with my iPod then. I got two options:

1. Just use Anapod Explorer trial until I can buy it, since it appears to be compatible with iTunes.

2. Get my songs, put them on CD-RW, when I go home, put them into my computer, import to iTunes, and put them on the iPod.

I'm considering option number two. These third party programs are scaring me.

isanity

You don't need to have iTunes on the same computer for PodPlus to work- I've used it successfully on my Windows Me laptop (I use iTunes on a different computer to get the music onto the iPod). When they say you need iTunes, all they mean is that you need to have used the iPod with iTunes, at some point in the past. And as I say, because it's not writing anything on your iPod, it should be completely safe.

TheJosher

Music Is Your Friend.
Website
www.thejosher.net
Baphomet said:
One other option (that's free) is iDump:

h**p://***.codershole.com/idump.php?id=ocsa9iouvp20cidsdks5tn6tu1
Ooh.. I really like that. Its small (140KB), looks nice, and is fast. This has earned a permanant spot on my iPods HD ;) Perfect for when over at a friends house. (To unload only that public domain movies and music, of course.)

http://www.codershole.com/idump.php

Josh