Can you plug your iPod into a power outlet AND a computer at the same time?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

podaman

Is it possible to plug an iPod into your computer (USB) and into the a power outlet (USB to power adapter) at the same time?

This is exactly what the iPod Doc should do but it doesn't. You should be able to plug it into a single place (the Doc) and have it sync with your computer if it's turned on, and charge from the wall if it is not. Such a simple idea but over looked for some reason.

jonnyk429

Website
www.thegizmoshack.com
No, it's not possible because the iPOd has only one dock connecter. IF you plug it into a newer computer (3+ years or so) it will charge the iPod while it is connected.

podaman

jonnyk429 said:
No, it's not possible because the iPOd has only one dock connecter. IF you plug it into a newer computer (3+ years or so) it will charge the iPod while it is connected.

Sure it only has one dock connector but I was thinking there may be an accessory or something you could use as a work-around.

How about using the "iPod USB cable + FireWire cable"? ( I can't post a link to the product on Amazon because I'm not an "established user", lame) It's a dock connector with two cables coming out, a USB and a FireWire.

So could you use both cables at the same time? For example, plug the USB end into your computer and the FireWire end into the iPod FireWire power adaptor? Or could this possibly mess up your iPod/Computer since it is charging from two places, the USB port and the power adaptor?

Any ideas?

jonnyk429

Website
www.thegizmoshack.com
The nano doesn't support firewire, only usb. The firewire chip is too big to be put into it so they just left it out.
I don't what would happen if you did both. I would never try it, what benefit is there. Charging faster?

_EDIT_

Here's that url you wanted:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006FNPZG/qid=1136311820/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-8476751-5559934?n=507846&s=pc&v=glance
If you read the reviews you will learn that you can plug in both at a time (one in a computer and the other into an ipod charger in the wall)

Last edited:

zip22

i think a powered USB hub would work like that. but i'm not 100% sure they stay powered on when the computer is off.

Knitter

Knitting Lounger
I have the USB Cable + Firewire Cable at my desk at home and use it with an ipod dock. The firewire part is pluged into a "brick" which stays plugged in to an outlet. When I need to connect to the computer, I use the USB part to do that. I also have my speakers plugged in to it so I can listen and not worry about battery level when I take the ipod with me. Works very well for me

podaman

jonnyk429 said:
I don't what would happen if you did both. I would never try it, what benefit is there. Charging faster?
The benefit is this: You only have to plug your iPod into one place, the Dock. If your computer is on, your iPod will sync and charge through the USB. If your computer is off, it will charge through the FireWire power adaptor "brick". (nothing about charging twice as fast)

Originally posted by zip22
i think a powered USB hub would work like that. but i'm not 100% sure they stay powered on when the computer is off.
I heard this suggestion on another site too zip22. Sounds kind of rediculous to buy a USB hub for one device but hey, whatever works. Would you recommend a specific one or would any old powered USB hub work?

Originally posted by Knitter
I have the USB Cable + Firewire Cable at my desk at home and use it with an ipod dock. The firewire part is pluged into a "brick" which stays plugged in to an outlet. When I need to connect to the computer, I use the USB part to do that. I also have my speakers plugged in to it so I can listen and not worry about battery level when I take the ipod with me. Works very well for me
This is great to know Knitter. However, are you using an older iPod or a new Nano? I spoke with a salesman at the local Apple store today and he said the combination USB Cable + FireWire Cable is only for older iPods that couldn't charge using the USB. So I thought it was perfect, but then he explained the pin-out for the dock connector is different and thus will not work with the newer iPods like the Nano. Did he really know what he was talking about?

podaman

Wraping it up!

Just to wrap this topic up. Here's the solution!

For any iPod, new or old:

Buy a dock.

Buy the iPod USB + FireWire Cable.

Buy a FireWire power adaptor "brick".

With these three accessories you can charge your ipod when your computer is off and sync with your computer when it is on... all from a single plug-in point (the dock). No more swaping cables.

Here's a diagram:

[iPod Dock]---(USB Cable)---[Computer USB port]
|
|
(FireWire Cable)
|
|
[FireWire power adaptor]

Thx to knitter, who suggested this. She has used this set-up for several generations of iPods. I have used it for my Nano.