• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

How much space does an average movie take up?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

cdl

I've converted Mr. & Mrs. Smith (120min) and the file is appr. 500Mb

wezman2k

Average File Size?

hey guys, i'm just curious. when you rip a full dvd and transcode into ipod format using videora...what's you're average file size?

i'm transcoding sin city right now and it's already up to about 675 megs...the original .vob file is over 5 gigs. is this a good file size for a movie on the pod? do i need to split the video into multiple files? if so, how would i go about doing this?

wezman2k

cdl said:
I've converted Mr. & Mrs. Smith (120min) and the file is appr. 500Mb
how did you get it that small? i'm converting a 124 min movie and the thing is already almost a gig

hammer249

my copy of trainspotting is 700 - 800mb, but i decrypted it from a copy i made of the dvd, so it could be bigger if i did it from the original.

cdl

wezman2k said:
how did you get it that small? i'm converting a 124 min movie and the thing is already almost a gig
Well, video is 384kbps and audio 96kbps, so pretty low, but I don't see the difference. First try was with video 768kbps and audio 128kbps.

cdl

Video 384kbps, audio 96kbps, resolution 320x240. The quality was still very good and no problem with framerate.

axman6

Website
axman6.homeip.net
No!

cdl said:
Well, video is 384kbps and audio 96kbps, so pretty low, but I don't see the difference. First try was with video 768kbps and audio 128kbps.
don't try and encode any video for the iPod with a bitrate of 768 because the 768 limit is for the video and audio combined (that is, when you're using h.264. those settings are fine for MPEG-4). i'd suggest a bitrate of about 500 - 600 for the video and i use 160 kbps audio, works great. hope that helps :)

HiImSean

most of the movies i have, including some over 2hrs(harry potter and gladiator), are about 700mb

wezman2k

haha, i'm dumb. i was totally reading the label wrong, it was in kilobytes, not megabytes.

but again, what is the benefit of running two passes instead of one?

axman6

Website
axman6.homeip.net
wezman2k said:
haha, i'm dumb. i was totally reading the label wrong, it was in kilobytes, not megabytes.

but again, what is the benefit of running two passes instead of one?
the benefit of running two passes is that on the first pass, it doesn't really do any encoding(well, that's what i think, could be totally wrong) it just looks through the file and precesses where it can compress it more. basically you (in theory) get better quality files and/or smaller file sizes. so basically, two/multi passing a movie will pay off in quality, but will take a lot longer (incredibly long time for h.264, but worth it for the space saving and quality)

laxattackdog

what is multi-passing? is that where you save the dvd to your HD and then convert it instead of converting directly from the dvd?

wezman2k

laxattackdog said:
what is multi-passing? is that where you save the dvd to your HD and then convert it instead of converting directly from the dvd?
i'm talking about mult-passing in videora. when you transcode the dvd file into mp4 - for the ipod.

it has an option of making one or two passes.