Dont Use Windex!! It Damages Plastic!!!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Buzzbait

It's news to me. Many plastics hold up just fine to exposure from ammonia. It's just a matter of what plastic you're talking about, and the amount of exposure.

Let me clue you in on a well kept secret. Ammonia ships in plastic bottles.

Some people love to take tiny little bits of factual information, and inflate them to the point of absurdity.

Trijicon

Buzzbait said:
It's news to me. Many plastics hold up just fine to exposure from ammonia. It's just a matter of what plastic you're talking about, and the amount of exposure.

Let me clue you in on a well kept secret. Ammonia ships in plastic bottles.

Some people love to take tiny little bits of factual information, and inflate them to the point of absurdity.
Exactly: We do not know the plastic and/or the coatings that Apple has seen fit to put on it.

Here is a link to a story on Apple Insider that indicates that the Nano will have an addition protective layer applied – which means that its likely that a similar process is/was done for the iPod Video.

appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1367

I’m pretty dumb when it comes to chemistry, since it was just my minor – so I will not purport to be someone who is conversant in polymers and their reactions; all I do know is that when in doubt, especially on a device like this, it is best to use caution.

If you want to experiment on your 300 – 400 dollar iPod, and hope there is not an adverse reaction that gradually becomes visible over the next few months, then knock yourself out.

Oh, and your “Windex is in plastic” is not accurate, since different reagents behave differently. For example, Acetone will dissolve polycarbonate (IIRC) plastic in a few days but it can be stored in plastic containers. The point? Plastics will react differently – so just because Windex come in plastic bottles, does not mean it will not harm another type of plastic.

Personally, I will…
1. Stick to dilute SDS
2. Assume Windex does not put expensive anti-scratch coatings on their bottles that might react to their product
3. Assume that the plastic formulation used in Windex bottles is made especially for the presence of Windex; something that Apple does no necessarily will do.

Again, I’m not an expert on plastic and the coatings – but until we know what has been used and applied, we should use caution.

Xuivo

Here's my two cents...

Any kind of chemical product can damage plastic. In the case of ammonia, this is also true.

But, all the principal material are made to be ammonia resistant. And when I say ammonia resistant, I also mean quite pure ammonia. Sure, there is some material that may degrade, but those materials are made from low-chain plastic, like PE.

In the case of windex, the concentration of ammonia in it is quite low. Even now, most of windex are made with vinegar instead of ammonia.

Finally, to contain the small amout of lead or mercury that the screen may contain, you need a material that is not affected by those chemical product, and from my experience, I've never encounter a material that a small concentration of Ammonia may alter and still resist high temperature, electronics componants and that is fireproof.

So, if I was to buy a film protector, i would be worried a lot more about the film than the ipod itself.

SlamMan

Acetone it plastic containers? I've never seen that. It will attack every kind of plastic I can think of. I've only seen it in metal containers.

Trijicon

SlamMan said:
Acetone it plastic containers? I've never seen that. It will attack every kind of plastic I can think of. I've only seen it in metal containers.
Fingernail Polish Remover is acetone, so yes it can be kept in a type of plastic. Our acetone comes in glass bottles from Sigma and it’s stored under a vacuum hood though.

Right now, it is a stab in the dark as to if Windex could harm the 5G iPod plastic/coating; unless a chemist with knowledge of polymers can ring in here and set us straight. I'll grant its possible it would do no harm, or create a reaction that would only become noticeable in the year 2100. However, it might react much sooner, and would create a problem in the near future.

To me its best use caution on things like this, and use only Windex if its 100% necessary, which I do not think it is. If there was a need for this, then that would be one thing, but I've installed the IS last week and I just do not seed the need to do it based on my own experience. However, as in all things in life YMMV.

enjoisoad

the reason people used windex on their invisable sheilds was because it was easier to apply. So just wash out an old windex bottle and fill it with water.