A Tip for Syncing With a Library Larger Than iPod

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

ashawley

Website
www.
OK, step by step:
  • Click the Browse button in the upper right-corner so the Panes are viewable at the top.
  • Select an Artist in the pane at the top that you want to exclude from the iPod.
  • Hold down the <cntrl> key and click the first checkbox--all the checkboxes for that artist will become unchecked.
  • Continue for each Artist that you want to exclude. You can if you wish, as an alternative, select an Album or Albums and deselect that way as well
  • When done excluding all the artists, click on File>New Smart Playlist
  • Uncheck the "Match Any of the Following Conditions" checkbox
  • Check the "Limit To" checkbox, set it to 100 GB, sort by Artist
You're done, now click on the iPod Options button in the lower right-hand corner and select this Playlist to sync w/the iPod (and any others

You don't have to create this smartlist, but it helps you see how many songs you've checked (in terms of megabytes).

Adam

Roland

Website
www.jamous.com.br
Great tip, thanks..

So any playlist we make can be iPod friendly by selecting "only checked items" along with any other rules...

Now, my question is:

Since I have more MP3s in my library than what will fit in my ipod, I'd like that every new song added to the library, be added unchecked, so that I dont have to keep hunting high and low for newly added songs to uncheck them.

Is there a way?
thanks.

peter960

Does this add anything...?
If you just enter a space into the filter box you list all files in library. CTRL click as described on first file then deselects all. Files can then be added as needed. Seems to be a bit more logical to add what you want rather than deselect what you dont?

ashawley

Website
www.
Roland:

I believe all new files are automatically added as checked. But you can create a smart playlist based on imported date. This will show you all your new tunes and you can then manage them that way. I know this is what they do in MC9, they have "Task" smartlists (like "Needs Ratings" or "Missing Info" and "Recently Imported" that help you manage your tunes--itunes needs that.

peter960: well, it all depends. If you have only 2 gigs that you don't want on your iPod, then it makes more sense to exclude doesn't it? ;) It's a matter of whether you have to select more to exclude or select more to include.

Adam

Roland

Website
www.jamous.com.br
thanks for the tip ashawley

Another tip someone here gave me is about queueing songs for play in itunes... following his tip, I just created a "now playing" playlist, then added songs to it and played from it.

tips for itunes... now there's a sticky thread wanting to happen

spiny

What does unchecking accomplish?

Why not just create a playlist/smart playlist and the drag artists/albums/genres into it, then select "Automaticallly update selected playlists only" from the iPod menu and then choose the playlist you just created?

This would only sync files listed in that playlist, no?

How do those little checkboxes enter the picture.

im confused.

spiny

ashawley

Website
www.
Going your route, spiny, everytime you add media to the library, you'd have to update that manual playlist to get the tunes on the iPod.

This way you don't, the tunes will automatically be added to the iPod (and the Smart Playlist)

Adam

stark23x

Website
www.right-thoughts.us
Another tip, pertaining to multiple iPods being synced from the same library...

My wife and I both use my 9000+ song library, but do not have the same musical tastes in everything. I wanted to use this playlist idea to automate the management of our 30GB pods...so, I use the comments section.

All files that are bands I have *any* interest in have my name in the comments. Hers have her name, and the ones we have in common have both names. Then, with everything unchecked, just make your playlist to search comments for the person's name and tell it to use checked files only.

This is keeping me sane...managing this many songs is a nightmare, and we are ripping a total of 1400 CDs when all is said and done! :)

huggies

Website
www.dumbplaylists.com
Adam,

anyway we can make this a sticky again? Not sure why it got "unsticky", but I'm assuming there might be others like me who with the recent iTunes update are willing to give iTunes a try. Took me a while to find this post.

Randy_M

Stark23x,

Do you manually sync to your 2 playlists, or automatically? I figure it must be manual, as you have 2 different iPods (correct me if I'm wrong)

My situation is similar. I have a 15GB and my wife a 10GB. Hers is a subset of mine.

Is there a way to autosync 2 different iPods with different playlists? I'm not yet ready to autosync, as I'm in the process of re-ripping all my cds to AAC, so I still have a combination of MP3 and AAC on my iPod - I do it one cd at a time, so I get the same tracks as before. I check iPod MP3 list for which tracks I grabbed off a particular CD, re-rip those into AAC, delete the MP3s from iPod and copy over the new ones. That way I always have a complete collection on my iPod until all are re-ripped.

When I'm done, I'd like to switch to automatic it that's possible with our 2 devices...

Thanks

Randy

stark23x

Website
www.right-thoughts.us
I don't autosync...I just drag her playlist to her pod when it's docked, and mine to mine. I'm still gunshy about autosyncing in *any* software, much less iTunes! ;)

What would be nice in a future version is user accounts that are tied into the name of the iPod...say when you connect your pod, iTunes knows it's yours and syncs ONLY your playlist, and vice versa. Kind of the way multiple PocketPCs can sync with the same computer

In fact, I'm going to send that in as a feature request.

ashawley

Website
www.
What would even be nicer is to be able to have multiple libraryies. In MC9 I can have a library for me and one for my wife. This way we can each create our own playlists and keep them separate, and we have our own ratings for tunes etc.

Basically the same concept of user accounts, stark but taking it one step further.

I also use another library for all of my digital photos etc. 'Course I'd need iPhoto for that I guess. Doubt that's gonna happen since hell froze over already. ;)

Adam

huggies

Website
www.dumbplaylists.com
stark23x: I agree that I wasn't initially autosyncing. But you might want to check my 2 posts in this thread:
http://ipodlounge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13294

Now I autosync to avoid this.

Adam:
I'm now following your method of managing songs, as I just got over my ipod limit yesterday. Thanks for the great post! One question, when doing the syncing (autosyncing), I'm assuming that I have to have the "Only update checked songs" option checked. When I have this option unchecked, my itunes unchecked songs stay on my ipod after a sync. So I checked this option, and it works now. Is that right?

SoloMalee

stark23x said:
Another tip...

My wife and I both use my 9000+ song library, but do not have the same musical tastes in everything. I wanted to use this playlist idea to automate the management of our 30GB pods...so, I use the comments section...
Nice idea! Although I'll only have one iPod, when we go on Holiday together, I guess I'm gonna have to take some music that's good for both of us, I think this will do it.

To the Mods...Thanks for keeping this thread sticky!!! :D

dollarlongnecks

Website
www.dirtyashtray.com
This all works great for me, but I have one more thing I like to figure out. Is there a way to make a smart playlist (self updating) that shows which songs are NOT checked and synced with my iPod?

Then, I could just go into the playlist and add songs (check them) to be synced, without going through my entire library.

I've been trying, but I can't figure it out, and am not even sure if it's possible.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks...

stark23x

Website
www.right-thoughts.us
Ohh...good question. See, this is why I want to be able to work more with the checked/unchecked column. It should be it's own, sortable column and you should be able to choose all unchecked if you want.