5G Battery Performance

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

advan031

What kind of battery life are you guys getting? I charged my 30gig when I went to bed so I'm sure it was fully charged. I've been listening to it none stop since I got to work and I am now in the 'red' range of the battery. I started playing it around 3:30 and it's now 9pm so that's 5 hrs and 30 mins of use (+ or - 30 minutes for pauses)

Should I be concerned? That's only 5 hrs when they claim 14 hrs of playing time? I've only played music and used the backlight once or twice. :confused:

Last edited:

Elhabash

Wait until a few load/unload cycles have passed, performance should get better.

Then start being concerned. ;-)

killertofu

Same here. I thought there was something wrong when my battery died one day, after I just charged it the last day. So I fully charged it, then left it on while I slept. When I woke up 6 hours later, dead. :(

ragingSPAM

mine performed well out the box...on my first charge cycle without charging and killing once i got it to go with audio only for 21 hours...(60gb) and than on my second cycle i tested video i got 3 hours and 45 mins out of it...havent tested slideshow tho

advan031

Welp, it is now 11:27 and my 30 gig iPod is dead...doh

3:30-11:27 (45 minutes break tops) and my 30 gig is dead.

I am a little worried but I'm glad I bought it at an Apple Store so exhanging it should be fairly easy (I hope).

I am no debating whether to switch to 60 gig for extra batter power...hmm

archurban

ipod adviser
Website
web.mac.com
I didn't have time to test it. but roughly I was testing time to time. listening music was about 22 hours 15 minutes. video playback was about 3 hours 10 minutes. it is 60GB. well, when it was arrived at me, it was fully charge. but two days I had to leave my ipod due to my schedule was busy. I just left my entire review on my blog. if you are interested, please visit.

http://homepage.mac.com/taeguenyoo/Sites/blog/maclife.html

iPod Dance

my iPod exploded... so I think I'll pay $100 and get a 60 for the battery primarily.

advan031

iPod Dance said:
my iPod exploded... so I think I'll pay $100 and get a 60 for the battery primarily.
Are you being serious? How/why did your iPod explode? I take it that you're joking.

advan031

So I'm not the only one!

Most of my music are ripped AAC 192 vbr and some MP3 192 VBR and a few albums are in Apple Lossless. I know it all affects battery life especially lossless format. If you do have lossless format on your iPod but don't play it much will it affect the battery life? Even so it's going to reduce the batter life by nearly half!

If that's the case then I'm exhanging my 30gig for a 60gig iPod. I have until the 10th to decide.

archurban

ipod adviser
Website
web.mac.com
I don't have lossless format for ipod. it is my belief that the format is not for mp3 player. it's for totally audio stereo system. so think smart. more than 192 kbps is no different when you listening.

gueler

Mine didn't last too long using the photo slideshowfor about 20 minutes and then playing songs for a couple of hours. The backlight seemed to be the culprit. Im going to try it with no backlight on music today and see how it goes.

jenufa

just run my battery down on 60g black 22 hrs playing music non stop next im going to run video see how long it will run

vrity

Apple was so smart to make the battery life in each model different because many people are willing to pay that extra $100 ONLY for the battery life. That's why I STILL haven't decided which model to get after almost 3 weeks. 30GB is more than enough for me but that frickin battery life for videos SUCKS! Apple was smart but the battery life should've been the same for both the 30 and 60. I don't know what to do. I just want to know, is the batt life for the 30 gig really bad like people have said it is? I think batt life will be my deciding factor.

advan031

Okay, I strongly think that something is wrong with my battery. I got home lastnight and started charging it while I rip more music onto iTunes. I'd say I probably spent at least 4 hours doing this and my iPod said fully charged.

I went to bed and i set my iPod to shuffle songs (repeat all) and I also started the stopwatch. So after getting roughly 7 hours of sleep, I got up and my iPod is DEAD!. I plugged it to see the stop watch and it was a whopping 1:45:xx.00 :eek: Now, I don't know if the stopwatch just suddenly stop during the test and it continued playing or whatever. Roughly 2 hours of music playback is just utterly ridiculous and so is 7 hours of music playback when it's claimed 14 hrs.

Now, I understand that bitrate affects your battery life and as I've posted before my music are ripped mostly in : 192 AAC or MP3 vbr and I counted lastnight that I have 60 lossless music files.

I think I'm going to bring it back to apple for them to test it or exhange it for a 60 gig black one. Also, I've noticed other bugs too ie. doesn't show right song count and memory capacity is stuck at 27.8 gigs

Last edited:

scott2414

You are not alone. I am getting about 6 hours music playback with my 30gb. Most of my music is 192 or 128. Either way I am not getting half of advertised battery life which is seriously making me regret my purchase. I have a few mor days to decide whether or not to keep it, go to the 60gb or just go for a sony.

The MVPlaya

Do you guys know that, when you charge your iPod, and when it finishes charging, you should take it out? And not keep it in. Do not charge it overnight. That kills battery life.