How to get rid of engravings?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

APMeehan

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone might be able to tell me if it's possible to scratch off the writing on the back of the iPod, and what the best way to do this might be.

I really only want to get rid of the engraving though, as I changed my mind about it. You reckon it'd be possible to remove it but still retain the quality shiny-ness? :)

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

mattkilloran

APMeehan said:
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone might be able to tell me if it's possible to scratch off the writing on the back of the iPod, and what the best way to do this might be.

I really only want to get rid of the engraving though, as I changed my mind about it. You reckon it'd be possible to remove it but still retain the quality shiny-ness? :)

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

suck it up dude. you shouldn't have gotten it in the first place.

JRoDDz

I'm opposed to engraving as I don't see myself keeping the iPod for the rest of my natural life. Ergo, one day I will sell it.

jas0nt

Website
www.genmay.com
Re: Re: How to get rid of engravings?

mattkilloran said:
suck it up dude. you shouldn't have gotten it in the first place.
what the hell was the point of that message? do you have anything better to do other than to flame people?

TheFly

Website
www.nogagreflex.com
I think you're pretty much stuck with it. Unless you want to try to take it to a machine shop, where they're probably going to try to buff it out.

But it will never look new again.

Plus, it will more than likely get scratched all to hell in a metal shop. You might also void your warranty having a non-Apple-certified person working on it.

Bottom line, put it in a case and learn from your mistake.

jas0nt

Website
www.genmay.com
TheFly said:
I think you're pretty much stuck with it. Unless you want to try to take it to a machine shop, where they're probably going to try to buff it out.

But it will never look new again.

Plus, it will more than likely get scretches all to hell in a metal shop. You might also void your warranty having a non-Apple-certified person working on it.

Bottom line, put it in a case and learn from your mistake.
agreed.

rockykabir

You can't get rid of it..... Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I seriously see the free engraving is a ploy by Apple to prevent consumers from selling off their outdated iPods on eBay or whatever - thus more people are forced to buy their iPods new from stores.

Apple will never offer anything for free without a valid reason ;)

APMeehan

Haha I never thought of that, I just thought it a good idea to get my name on it to put people off stealing it.

The reason I asked was that I had a sneaky plan involving ebay, but it's really no big deal, I just thought I'd ask on the off-chance.

Thanks for your help anyway guys.

awheewall

Sophomore Lounger
Website
www.wheewall.com
So what exactly did you engrave on it. Before I got my original iPod I toyed with ordering it from the States, as the website lets you put English swear words on it that have no meaning in the States, examples include, "bollocks", "arse". Plus the same is true on the English site, you can put typically US swear words, etc. Can't think of an example. Anyway in the end, just had my name on it. But it alwasy felt like the kid at school who's mum had made all their clothes uncool, my sewing name patches on. My replacement Colour iPod is just plain. No more engraving from me.

APMeehan

I wrote my name and first letter of my surname, all lower caps.

Coz I'm l33t.

MarkY1

I like the conspiracy theory, I never thought about it like that.

Given the fact that Apple is offer exchanges without question right now, I suppose you could say yours is scratched (maybe it really is) and you feel that's a defect in your particular device. When they send you a new one just ask for it not to be engraved.

cypress

You can't buff it out because the shiny back cover is a layer of chrome over the metal back case ... if you start to buff you will buff off the chrome and lose the shine.

TheFly

Website
www.nogagreflex.com
I don't believe it's chrome. I think it's shined stainless steel.

Can you laser etch chrome as easily as steel? Besides, I've seen some iPods that were hella scratched and dented. Chrome has a tendancy to chip and flake if stressed.

Zap

Mac Zealot
im not selling my iPods i'll play around with them when i get a new one or just give it away to a close friends/family member.

iPod Dance

just buy a BROKEN iPod off eBay for a few bucks, and pop out the metal shell, and switch em.