DEFINITIVE: iPod 5G Accessory Compatibility Thread

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
Website
www.ilounge.com
With the new iPod 5G now released and starting to arrive in people's hands, it's going to be important to keep track of what accessories are compatible and not compatible with the 5G iPod.

Note that this thread is intended for accessories only, as opposed to cases. Discussions on compatibility of cases with the 5G iPod should go in the appropriate Cases forum.

We will try to keep a list in this first post updated as new comments are added on accessories that are or are not compatible with the 5G iPod.

A few points to keep in mind about the 5G iPod and general accessory compatibility:
  1. The top connector has been changed. The accessory/remote connector is no longer present, and therefore any accessories that connect to this will definitely not be compatible.
  2. The iPod 5G no longer has any FireWire transfer capability (although you can still charge via FireWire). Any accessories that use FireWire transfer will therefore also be incompatible.
  3. The Dock connector otherwise remains the same for USB syncing. Older iPod docks and accessories that connect to the dock connector should still be compatible for USB syncing, any kind of charging, and line-out and video-out capabilities..
  4. Other than thickness, the physical dimensions of the 5G iPod (width/height) remain the same as for all previous 4G iPods. It should therefore fit in most accessories designed for 4G iPods, again subject to differences in thickness.
ACCESSORIES CONFIRMED FULLY COMPATIBLE

Miscellaneous

Apple Camera Connector
Apple iPod photo Dock (all capabilities - charging, USB sync, line-out, S-Video output
Apple iPod A/V Cable (hasn't changed since the iPod photo)
Apple Power Adapters (4G power adapters will continue to charge the 5G with either cable)
Belkin Battery Pack
Kensington Stereo Dock

Speakers

Altec Lansing InMotion Speakers
Altec Lansing iM3 Speakers
iHome iH5 Speakers
JBL OnStage

In-Car Gear

Kensington Digital FM Transmitter/Auto Charger
Belkin Tunecast II FM Transmitter
SiK Imp Car Adapter
Belkin Auto Kit
Griffin iTrip with Dock Connector (the newest model)
Pac-Audio iPod2Car adapter
Axxess Wire -Tunes
Ice>Link Plus

ACCESSORIES CONFIRMED COMPATIBLE WITH LIMITATIONS
limitations noted in brackets

FireWire Cable (charging only)
Older Apple iPod Docks (subject to physical dimensions)
  • The 5G 30Gb will fit in any older dock, but will be a bit loose.
  • The 5G 60Gb will fit in any of the 4G docks loosely except for the 4G Monochrome 20Gb Dock
ACCESSORIES CONFIRMED NOT COMPATIBLE

FireWire Cable (for synchronization)
Apple Wired Remote
Griffin iTrip
Griffin iTrip LCD
Griffin iTalk
Belkin Digital Camera Link
Belkin Media Reader

Last edited:

whatsername

Griffin iTalk is not compatible =( does anyone know why apple would change the top connector...??

filburt1

Scratchless 30 GB 5G
Website
www.webdesignforums.net
whatsername said:
Griffin iTalk is not compatible =( does anyone know why apple would change the top connector...??
Apple has very recently been trying to get much more money in accessories for the iPod rather than the iPod itself. By removing the remote jack, a whole bunch of new accessories must be developed, including newly-introduced fees to Apple.

Not that it is justified. I'm not happy that my iTrip is now useless. I had to spend $50 to get an aux input for my car so I don't have to worry about incompatibility again. Plus I absolutely loathe that they removed Firewire support.

whatsername

that's what i was afraid of... not that i'm in love with my itrip (the sound quality sucks)

flyingpsycho

Im really angry that they did this. I remember a time when Apple couldn't stoop to such cheap marketing tricks because they just didn't have a large enough consumer base. Now this. *shakes head*.

I just (1 week ago) bought the Logitech iPod headphones and a new iPod and only now do I realize it won't work with the 5G's.

I'm tempted to just send the iPod back when it gets here. This is the sort of behavior I would expect from HP or the like. Not only that but the fact they they split up the releases of their products so they would have two mad scrambles for iPods leaving a lot of people with Nanos they would like to trade for 5G's.

This is a sad month for the Apple world.:(

Last edited:

Rusty Clown

Website
bsak.blogspot.com
The top connector, meh, perhaps, you shouldn't use FM transmitters anyway they're crap.

The firewire support i would have tossed in the mud and stomped on too if it were a way to make the device smaller :) The only problem it may impose is for older users that only have USB 1.1 ports (namely older macs) but for USB2 people its just the difference between 5 minutes to sync an entire library and 10 minutes, who really can't lick that?

Website
www.ilounge.com
My previous iPod was an original-model 40Gb iPod photo, purchased around this time last year. At that time, the iPod photo models came with both the dock and the A/V cable.

I have just confirmed that both of these first-generation iPod photo accessories continue to work with the iPod 5G for all capabilities (except for FireWire sync, of course).

As far as I can tell, the A/V cable has not changed at all since the first bundled cable was released, so the A/V cable that you purchase today should basically be the exact same type of cable that was shipped with the iPod photo last year.

Also, the iPod photo dock has line-out and S-Video out capabilities. Both of these work fine with the 5G iPod.

So if you already have an A/V cable and/or a photo dock, you will be able to continue to use these with the 5G iPod.

Website
www.ilounge.com
flyingpsycho said:
Im really angry that they did this. I remember a time when Apple couldn't stoop to such cheap marketing tricks because they just didn't have a large enough consumer base. Now this. *shakes head*.
I'm not one to rush out and defend Apple's business practices at every turn, but I think it's both cynical and unfair to assume that the top remote connector and FireWire capabilities were removed just to promote accessory sales.

In comparing my new 5G iPod to my previous 4G models, I have to acknowledge that it's significantly thinner for what they've managed to cram into it. Not only is it slimmer, but the screen is larger, which would leave less room at the top of the iPod to squeeze in a remote connector. I am baffled by the removal of FireWire sync capabilities, but I have to assume that this allowed them to have less circuitry inside, thereby also allowing for the smaller/thinner size.

I definitely don't agree with their omission of accessories like the AC charging adaptor (although it makes little difference to me personally). However, I really don't think they redesigned the iPod just so third-party companies could sell more accessories. In fact, if they had wanted to do that, I'm sure they would have benefitted more from making it incompatible with their own accessories, which they clearly did not do (see my previous post above about the A/V cable and photo dock).

The bottom line is that to reduce the size and add capabilities, there were certain things that had to go. Obviously the remote connector and the FireWire capabilities were among those.

I'm disappointed as well, as I have about $200 worth of accessories won't work with the 5G (I have two iTrips, an iTalk, an Apple Wired Remote, and a Navipod Remote), but I chalk it up to the evolution of the technology, as opposed to some kind of cynical plot to sell more accessories.

Pekemom

I chalk it up to the evolution of the technology, as opposed to some kind of cynical plot to sell more accessories.
It is evolution~ with the a side benefit (of increased accessory sales. ) Commonplace in business. You'd be surprised that the profit margin on accessories is often (eventually) greater than the product itself. Look at the cell phone industry...

Website
www.ilounge.com
There is certainly that side benefit, but I really don't think this was Apple's intention in removing the accessory port. Increased third-party accessory sales do not benefit Apple in a significant enough way for them to care.

Truth is, I don't think Apple really cared much about it either way. The accessory port had to go as part of the new engineering design, and the marketing people probably just gave it a big shrug.

jmstacey

Website
www.mark87.com
With the short(er) video playback, this will be a relief :p
The Belkin Backup-Up Battery Pack does still work with the new iPod :), however I like my homemade 8 AA battery charger which doesn't scratch the sides.

hellraiser_427

Does the Tekkeon myPower Battery Pack work with this iPod? Here is the link to it on iLounge:

ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/comments/tekkeon-mypower-battery-pack-ipod/

and here is the link to it on the apple store:

store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70207/wo/Cu5pTXGDnIL73HeCl5agkryBeGu/3.SLID?mco=7A78EEDB&nplm=TC801LL%2FA

Apple's store says that it is compatible but I am just confirming that it does before I shell out $60 for this.... can never be too careful.

[zerophase]

Website
xanga.com
Does anyone know of the compatibility of the older ipod speakers like the bose, jbl, altec lansing? because non of them are listed on apple's site as compatible anymore.

Website
www.ilounge.com
I have personally confirmed compatibility with the Altec Lansing inMotion and iM3 speakers, and the iHome iH5 system.

I expect that the 5G will be compatible with any dock-connector speakers as long as it fits into the docking port. Since it's basically the same thickness as the original 4G 20Gb Monochrome iPod, I don't imagine fit will be much of a problem, although the 4G 20Gb docks are a bit too tight due to the front of the 5G being squared off rather than rounded.

flyingpsycho

I'm not one to rush out and defend Apple's business practices at every turn, but I think it's both cynical and unfair to assume that the top remote connector and FireWire capabilities were removed just to promote accessory sales.
There is no logical reason for them to remove the port: it only enhances the iPod's capabilities, it doesn't detract from it in any way. They haven't done it for 2 -3 years (Since the 3G), why now? I don't know if you have taken one of these things apart, but there's plenty of space to put a dock connecter in--it would really not be that difficult in the grand scheme of things.

Granted they did change the remote connector from the 1 and 2G's to the 3, but iPods were much less popular back then.

<edit>
Bear in mind as well that this iPod is not a huge leap in technology or anything. It was bound to happen, ad sooner, rather then later.

Last edited:

Marilynfan

Website
marilynmonroe.ca
jhollington said:
I have personally confirmed compatibility with the Altec Lansing inMotion and iM3 speakers, and the iHome iH5 system.
For the iM3 speakers is it a snug fit? I was wondering how the pointed corners would work with these speakers. Will it end up scratching the ipod. Is it a secure fit?

Thanks!

SupaRo9000

In the mini package, a wall-charger + cable was included to charge your mini using an outlet. Does this work for the new 5G iPods? 'Cause, I don't wanna buy a new one.

cfarm

jhollington said:
There is certainly that side benefit, but I really don't think this was Apple's intention in removing the accessory port. Increased third-party accessory sales do not benefit Apple in a significant enough way for them to care.

Truth is, I don't think Apple really cared much about it either way. The accessory port had to go as part of the new engineering design, and the marketing people probably just gave it a big shrug.
Amen.

All of these features within such a small package is nothing short of mechanical design genius. I'll bet once someone takes one of these apart you'll find the new chipset and perhaps the new LCD interface necessitated the design changes.

Highly unlikely that additional accessory sales has anything to do with it, particularly since the discussion centers on third party gear which does nothing for Apple's bottom line.

natsfan

As a marketing guy, I can assure you the removal of the accessory port was not an engineering comprimise. It was a business decision. Apple is charging a $10 licecnsing fee to third party vendors, who wish to use the dock connector port. By the way this is not a trvial amount, this will translate into real money for Apple. In the imortal words of Mark Knoffler this is a case of "Money for nothing and your chicks for free". Furthermore shipping this $300 device with out a AC adapter... Shame on you Steve.