Swimming in the Toilet

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Sevaan

Website
www.tanglinpictures.com
So I was getting ready to go out on Friday and I was in the bathroom, in front of the mirror, about to brush my teeth. I was listening to my Nano (White 4GB) when it somehow slipped out of my hands, swung on the headphones, and dropped into the (clean) toilet, sort of like Tarzan swinging on a vine. I froze, staring at the glowing screen under the water. When I snapped to, my hand was in there pulling it out.

The screen was still on, although there was now a warning that said "This iPod does not support firewire" or some mumbo jumbo like that. I clicked the center button and everything was still working. In fact, I plugged my headphones and music was playing too. I even hooked it up to my computer and it was recognized in iTunes without a problem. Satisfied that it worked I shooked out the excess water, and tried to switch it off so it could dry. But it wouldn't!

Eventually I just left it under a warm light and I guess it shut off by itself. I left it like that over night.

The next day I switched it on and everything still seemed to be okay. But that firewire error kept appearing every ten seconds or so. I plugged it into my computer and figured I'd do a restore. Half-way through the restore, the ipod crapped out (or the computer hiccuped), and now it's giving me that exclamation-folder error.

This is my first ipod. I'm not familiar with how to deal with these things. Eventually, I formatted it like a regular hard drive through windows Explorer, then ran the restore. And I synced everything up.

It's been two days now, and no problems whatsoever.

I'd dropped this thing so many times, and now it's gone for a swim and it's still ticking! There have only been a few minor cratches on the back, but otherwise it's perfect. I've been listening to it for ages today.

So that's my little story. I've been a long-time lurker, but never really had anything of substance to post. Now I have.

The moral is: Don't freak out if your ipod goes for an accidentaly soak. Just a little patience and some resetting and you'll be a-ok. These things are built tough!

Last edited:

Gurpy

You use your nano in the bathroom? o_O Glad to know it's okay though, these things can take some beatings.

ipodphoto30

this is great for you, when i read the part where it fell in the toilet i was disguisted and was shocked. i thought you would be a goner. luckily things work out for you

welcome to the lounge.

justblaize

Wow, nice story. I spilled water on my mini one time and totally freaked out. Just dried it up, knew itd be okay.

Sevaan

Website
www.tanglinpictures.com
When I lifted it out, water just streamed out through the docking and headphone connectors on the bottom, so the ipod was full :eek:

Gurpy: I use it everywhere. I was in and out whilst getting changed.

rileymd

I'm suprized it didn't go all the way down the toilet due to it's smallness!

Gurpy

Ohh cool, I usually just have my computer speakers blaring so I can hear it around the house if I want to (but my neighbours are far enough away that they cant hear a peep so its pretty cool that way) so I rarely use my nano inside the house, I guess thats why I thought it was a little weird. And lmao @ the smallness thing, that'd suck eh? *flush* WHAT THE HELL, WHERED MY NANO GO?!?!?!

MaStAViC

Website
www.mastavic.com
I have actually had one or two thoughts about dropping my Nano into the toilet by accident (just for the record, I don't use it when I'm in the restroom). "Don't freak out if your ipod goes for an accidentaly soak" may be reassuring words for some, but I still hope that my Nano never has to go for a swim, or even a splash.

Glad to hear your Nano's fine =) Thanks for the story.
-=MaStA ViC

Gurpy

^^ Yeah, I wouldn't mind if mine goes for a splash (I will be taking it skiing so some waters bound to hit it, but not a big deal) but if it went for a swim that'd really suck, because it might work fine for like a year..but it'll eventually rust up :/

Meh, in less than a year i'll probably get a new ipod anyways, so if it did go for a swim its still amazing itd work until then :D

Pekemom

Eventually, I formatted it like a regular hard drive through windows Explorer, then ran the restore
Sevaan, can you explain that a bit more. I understand the restore command through the iPod updater, right? But what do you mean you formatted it through Windows Explorer? Did you mount it like a hard drive? Then what?

thedodgyguy

Declined Lounger
After the cowpod, I'm waiting for a story on a smaller animal ingesting the Nano. :p

Sevaan

Website
www.tanglinpictures.com
Pekemom said:
Sevaan, can you explain that a bit more. I understand the restore command through the iPod updater, right? But what do you mean you formatted it through Windows Explorer? Did you mount it like a hard drive? Then what?
Well when I plugged in my ipod, it was recognized in My Computer as being an external harddrive, although it would give me an error when I tried to click on it. So I right-clicked on it and went to Format, and just went through that process. It was all of 3 seconds to do.

clonypod

Website
clonygen.com
hehe funny story, what a luck the nano survive.

i also had at least two thoughts about dropping mynano in the toilet for accident. but i was very careful, when i had done my buisness ;)