View Single Post
Old 10-17-2003, 02:12 PM

Spoonman
iPodus Supremus

Re: Re: Re: Before you Run iTunes the First Time

Quote:
Originally posted by Roland
Hi Hirez
How is having iTunes take over my files useful?
I mean, what are the advantages/disadvantages?
I havent had a chance to really get into iTunes yet, but I did notice that iTunes won't automatically keep my library updated as I add (or maybe delete) a song from it. That's a pain.

thanks,
It's advantageous because the physiacal location of files doesn't matter...so you might as well be able to add the file to iTunes and have it deal with it. iTunes DOES automatically keep your library updated as you add od delete a song from it's library...as long as the file is in your iTunes folder...when you delete a file (or files) from the iTunes library it will ask you if you want to put them in the recycle bin, and provided your preferences are setup for it, any file added to the iTunes library will be copied into the iTunes folder, you can then simply delete the other copy.

The easiest way I found to switch over was to copy *all* my mp3's into one directory, say...d:\mp3 then set my iTunes music folder as that directory, and set both the copy and sort options to on, then add that folder to your library, iTunes will then parse through the files, and make it's directory structure WITHOUT copying anything, since these files are already in the iTunes folder. Now, anything new I get, I copy to a temp folder on my desktop, and once I have formated my tags and ran mp3 gain over it, I import it to my iTunes library, and delete the folder from my desktop. Any new files are then added to my "recently imported" smartlist, where I can easily rate them...hope this helps.

Quote:
But, Windows users are accustomed to their file structrues
Don't throw us all into one big bucket...I'm quite partial to id3 tags over file structures, and generally like the database approach much better then naving directory trees. I'm pretty sure the reason most windows users are so partial to file structures is because it's EASY to understand, you don't have to comprehend what's going on in the background, because there is nothing going on in the background, and you don't need to understand id3 tags, because they're essentially rendered useless. You are in control of what's going on and this makes some people feel safe...afterall if you don't know what you're doing, you can really screw your files up...however if you DO know what you're doing, it makes managing a collection of any size, a breeze. I'm discussing a similar topic over at www.head-fi.org about why iTunes (or any program like it) is head and shoulders above the direct copy and paste approach of players that use direct drive letter access.

Windows 3rd Gen 30Gig Ipod
Shure E5 in-Ear Earphones // Audio-Technica ATH-A900