So, is the shuffle dead?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Dopial

Having realized that I never use my 3G since I got the shuffle, I'm now in the process of trading it for a nano.

Now, this is where it gets interesting... arguably the nano is what the shuffle "should have been" - i.e. everyone's complaints about the shuffle seem to have been answered with the nano (err. no screen etc.)

"Officially" the nano killed off the iPod mini. However, other than price (and the screen issue), is there any reason to buy a shuffle these days instead of a nano? Is the nano a double hit on both the mini and the shuffle? Are there any sales figures on shuffles since the nano was released?

I have to say, the nano makes the full size iPod and the mini look a bit dated, but it makes the shuffle look like it just stepped off the ark!

brownsprout

I like the shuffle because I use it for school and I don't have to carry around a USB cable. And... it's smaller :)

JRoDDz

Dopial said:
Is the nano a double hit on both the mini and the shuffle? Are there any sales figures on shuffles since the nano was released?

I have to say, the nano makes the full size iPod and the mini look a bit dated, but it makes the shuffle look like it just stepped off the ark!

I had a White 4GB Nano and returned it and bought a 1GB Shuffle.

The Nano got scratched up by just putting it in my pants pocket. I didn't pay $250 for a device that gets scratched by simply putting it in your cotton pants pocket. It doesn't include any kind of protective case or carrying strap. How is one supposed to listen to thier music with the nano? Holding it in your hand all day? Not to mention, it's a fingerprint magnet.

The Shuffle has better sound quality, comes with a lanyard to hang around your neck. Even if you put it in your pocket it doesn't get scratched up. It's smaller. It's lighter. It's less money. It's an apple. It's an iPod.

Last edited:

zip22

i have said it in a couple other threads, but the reasons i bought the shuffle still hold

-MUCH cheaper
-smaller
-lighter
and my #1 reason: it is a usb thumb drive

some other reasons that JRoDDz mentioned that i also agree with
-better sound quality
-MUCH more durable

Last edited:

rldunn

The Shuffle is also way better for working out with, especially with the sports case. Water resistant, can easily change volume and FF/Rew without looking, no screen to worry about, etc.

jpodmini

since it's only 4GB, then you probably won't have space to store photos AND songs. also, your "beautiful screen" will get scratched so badly you won't be able to see it.

dnd

Shuffles not dead until somebody releases a nano lanyard without headphones built in

I want to use my Shure e3c's with a nano on a lanyard. Apples current lanyard is useless to me - and I'm not carrying the thing around in the gym

The Shuffle, at the moment, is ideal for me in the gym

Glitch

Glitch is your friend
The Shuffle is definitely not dead. Mini, yes. Shuffle, no. Why? Because the Shuffle is a completely different beast altogether, aimed at those who like clean, simple sophistication in a pure, unembellished package. The Nano and Mini are for those who don't know the names of their own songs.

Ohio Trekker

I don't see the Shuffle as being dead in the least. It is the perfect entry level player especially for children. And although it lacks the features of it's bigger brothers/sisters there are times when that is a good thing.

I have mine on a carbiner clip and hang it off a ring on my camelbak while cycling. I can reach over and operate it by touch alone without worrying about orientation. I don't worry about dropping it or crashing. Mine is half full with 162 songs, plenty of capacity for even an all day ride.

As far as I am concerned this was a brilliant product on Apple's part far moreso than the Nano. And I am not a Nano basher having every intention of purchasing one the first time I walk into an Apple store and it's available.

enjoisoad

Glitch said:
The Nano and Mini are for those who don't know the names of their own songs.
get a mini and fill it up then put some tape over the screen and see how easily you navigate through your music. honestly i have no idea how you shuffle people do it expessialy the 1g shuffle tahts like 250songs or more depending on bitrate.

TMac1

Dopial said:
\... arguably the nano is what the shuffle "should have been" - i.e. everyone's complaints about the shuffle seem to have been answered with the nano (err. no screen etc.)
True. I bought the Nano and sold my Shuffle a week later.

Yea the screen was the biggest improvement. Unlike the shuffle you can now split your music into playlists. I hated shuffling rap, rock, jazz, and podcasts together. I would listen to some loud rap song, and then the podcast gets shuffled next...ridiculous!

As for the sound quality I think that the Nano just sounded more balanced. I thought that the Shuffle had too much bass.

wclef

Re: Re: So, is the shuffle dead?

TMac1 said:
True. I bought the Nano and sold my Shuffle a week later.

Yea the screen was the biggest improvement. Unlike the shuffle you can now split your music into playlists. I hated shuffling rap, rock, jazz, and podcasts together. I would listen to some loud rap song, and then the podcast gets shuffled next...ridiculous!

As for the sound quality I think that the Nano just sounded more balanced. I thought that the Shuffle had too much bass.
I think the shuffle gives better sound then the nano. When you use the same earphones on both of them. And a screen that gets scratch so easily ain't an improvement. The playlist thing ain't a good reason caus the nano and shuffle are build for different purposes. I say for versatility the shuffle is on top no doubt

madmaxmedia

Website
www.madmaxmedia.com
Even with a regular Nano lanyard, it's still different from the Shuffle. The Shuffle is light and just feels so durable (plus it's cheap anyway!) I made a lanyard for my Nano, it's not the same. You worry that it might swing and hit something, whereas you don't really care with the Shuffle- it's so light plus there's no screen to break.

The Shuffle is also easier to use when working out or doing other activities. The Nano is easier to accidentally crank up the volume when you reach for it without looking.

The only thing I would add to the Shuffle is either a 1 line grayscale display, or a way of skipping forward say 10 songs. That would make it easier if you were listening in non-Shuffle mode and were trying to find a particular album.

I believe that Bill Machrome's sound tests showed that the Shuffle had a pretty flat frequency response. If the Shuffle sounds too bassy, it's probably due to your headphones.

mdmania

I also had a 4gb nano and I thought that was over kill for just going to the gym. I am also paranoid that I will break a 250.00 just from working out. I can't afford that to happen and besides I am satistfied with the 40gb I have for casual listening. So I decided on the shuffle without any regrets. This is definitely more for working out. Besides, I'm too busy most of the time working out and I rather look at good looking women than a darn screen. I'll get the nano someday once the memory is up to 10gb on it or higher. In the mean time the shuffle will be my gym portable and 40gb for casual activities.

Zap

Mac Zealot
i had a SHuffle and i miss it(gave it to my cousin and got a Nano) Nanos are cool but i was care free with my Shuffle! Perhaps i'll pick on up someday( when 2g ones come out)

Zap

Mac Zealot
Glitch said:
The Nano and Mini are for those who don't know the names of their own songs.
name all 1500 songs in your collection RIGHT NOW no looking, or perhaps its for people who like to have more control or like more feartures or more Gbs???