iLounge Forums - View Single Post - files in use by another application
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2005, 03:10 PM

Jesse Hollington

Hi and welcome to iLounge!

Firstly, are you using Windows or a Mac? Do you know if you have your iPod in "disk mode" or "manual synchronization" (if you don't know what those are, then the answer is probably no).

I would suggest closing iTunes completely, and then attempting to eject your iPod through the system tray (Windows) or Finder (Mac) and see if that helps.

Also make sure that you don't have it highlighted in Finder (Mac) or have the drive letter for it open in Windows Explorer or My Computer (Windows).

Worst-case scenario, a reboot of your computer should also release it (I realize that you don't want to have to reboot every time you want to disconnect your iPod, but it's also possible this is a one-time problem).

If it is something that is happening consistently, you may want to look at what other applications that you have running that may be interfering with it. When the iPod is being synchronized with iTunes, it is connected as an external hard drive, so there are a number of utilities that might be accessing it behind your back.

Click the image to open in full size.