iTunes 5 Quirks, Bugs, and Problem Reports

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

swy32x

With the release of iTunes 5 today, no doubt there will be people with errors and problems with iTunes.

This is now the iTunes 5 Quirks & Bugs, and Problems thread.

Post in any problems you have, and somebody who is in the know will seek to fix them ASAP.

Last edited:

tim76844

I tried 3 times to install iTunes 5.0. Each time at the same place in the installation, my PC spontaneously rebooted. Reinstalled iTunes 4.9 and all is well. Looks like Apple has some bug in the installation.

tellis100

Under the Ipod Options, contact tab, when I set it to sync with Outlook I get an Error -50 during the sync.

KJF

iTunes 5 & Outlook Sync

I too get the error 50 when I try to sync my contacts to the iPod. Seems I may have to stick with iPod Agent for a while yet for that one. Seems Apple should have done a better job of testing that function before the release. I'm using Windows XP SP2 with Outlook 2003. Apparently iTunes requests the data from Outlook, Outlook then blocks the request pending user interaction to authorize it, and when I click OK and release the data for 1-5 minutes, iTunes chokes.

ad617

iTunes 5 & Quicktime Installation probs

I downloaded v5.0 last night. After installation, I tried to start it up. Much to my dismay, I receive an error stating that an error log has been created, and if I would like to send it to MS. This also occurs when I try starting Quicktime or uninstalling iTunes.

Anyway, since then, I’ve tried rebooting, uninstalling and then reinstalling v5, v4.9, Quicktime, all with no success. I’ve also tried XP’s System Restore and then a reinstall to no avail. I’m guessing something got corrupted during the first initial installation. Anybody have any ideas? At this point, I don’t care what version of iTunes I have. I just want to be able to sync my iPod and manage my music again.

jaybrams

Different itunes - Outlook Problem

I got my color Ipod to sync with Outlook. However, my contacts are listed either two or three times on the ipod. So, Smith, James is listed three times, Jones, Martha may be listed twice, etc. The contacts list in Outlook lists each one only once. Instead of 100 contacts in Outlook, I now have about 300 entries on the ipod. Anyone else experienced this?

Gimnapista

Contacts

I have problems with Outlook too. My contacts won't sync. The calendar works fine but no data in the contacts.
I have xp with SP2, and Outlook 2002.

Anyone with the same problem?

genuinespyke

Lounger Arounder
Website
spaces.msn.com
ARGH!!

tim76844 said:
I tried 3 times to install iTunes 5.0. Each time at the same place in the installation, my PC spontaneously rebooted. Reinstalled iTunes 4.9 and all is well. Looks like Apple has some bug in the installation.

I have this exact same problem and now i have no iTunes... :mad:

BulkHedd

I have also had the Outlook sync problem. I have Outlook 2002.

Also, iTunes just seems sluggish on my home system. When I scroll, either in the music store or in my library, there seems to be a bit of a lag and it doesn't scroll smoothly.
Granted, I only have a Pentium 4, 1.3Ghz, with 512MB of RAM, but version 4.9 seemed to perform better. I have noticed that iTunes usually takes up 35-40 MB of system memory when it's running.

genuinespyke

Lounger Arounder
Website
spaces.msn.com
ARGH!! ...Continued

Now i don't wanna sh!t on anyone else's problems, but surely the "iTunes 5 removes 4.9, won't install at all on XP, then reboots the computer" problem is quite a big one!! I mean, my computer is less than 3 months old, and i know i can't speak for anyone else, but i think that not being able to access ANY music at all (mine's all in AAC) or update my iPod is NOT GOOD!! ...To put it mildly of course...

Of course i might just be being melodramatic!

But any help at all would be VERY GOOD!! :( & :mad:

luckyschmuck85

iTunes 5 MP3 encoder

Has anyone else noticed that the MP3 encoder sounds really ####ty in iTunes 5? I tested today on a cd that I had imported using iTunes 4.7, with the exact same settings (160kbps, high VBR, normal stereo) and 5.0 sounds really bad compared to the earlier one. Anyone else experience this? Did Apple downgrade the MP3 encoder in order to turn people to AAC?

kevmakara

The Tie-Dye Alchemist
Well, my iPod won't mount now. When I first installed 5.0 (last night) I had a bit of trouble getting iTunes to recognize my iPod, but after a couple of tries, it worked. Now, today it won't recognize it at all. I've restarted my computer a number of time, tried unplugging and replugging in the iPod, but still nothing.

I suppose I should try reinstalling iTunes now. I'll see how that works.

TheJosher

Music Is Your Friend.
Website
www.thejosher.net
It wouldn't install for me at first.. it kept giving me some weird nonsense about MS Installer not being installed, when the program I had installed before itunes was a .msi, so I know it is.

I had to remove it, redownload it, and then it worked. 4.x's setup worked fine before.. so I'm not sure what they changed :p

Yes, the scroll lags here as well.. but did that with 4.x as well.

I'm kinda not used to the volume thing being there, and the folders would be even cooler if you could put songs in them and have them NOT show up on the main list, but whatever.

Overall I like it.

Josh

gizmo3x

Pod Person
Website
gizmo3x.textamerica.com
I'm having trouble with the new "skip with shuffling" feature... I clicked the box on all the tracks I needed skipped but it will only work on itunes.. on my iPod they still play...

Is this a bug? Or is it only supposed to work in iTunes?

JuryDuty

Website
spaces.msn.com
Re: Different itunes - Outlook Problem

jaybrams said:
I got my color iPod to sync with Outlook. However, my contacts are listed either two or three times on the ipod. So, Smith, James is listed three times, Jones, Martha may be listed twice, etc. The contacts list in Outlook lists each one only once. Instead of 100 contacts in Outlook, I now have about 300 entries on the ipod. Anyone else experienced this?
Yep, apparently if people have multiple email addresses, it creates a contact for each one.

I also have the -50 error when trying to sync calendar. Contacts are fine (except for this repetitive problem).

I think it's crazy this doesn't work when Agent and other programs do it perfectly. :rolleyes:

degüello

Reformed PottyMouth
tim76844 said:
Yep, me too. Really sucks, but glad to see I'm not alone.

I tried to install it a few times (Windows XP), and each time at the same point in the installation, rather than a spontaneous reboot, I got the "Blue Screen of Death."

I was finally able to install it, only after disabling my anti-virus software ("Freedom" from Bell Sympatico).

Now, however, any time I try to run the new iTunes with my anti-virus software going, I get the same "Blue Screen of Death," almost instantly. The program will only run when I shut the anti-virus software down.

This is EXTREMELY annoying.

Mohss

Re: iTunes 5 MP3 encoder

luckyschmuck85 said:
Has anyone else noticed that the MP3 encoder sounds really ####ty in iTunes 5? I tested today on a cd that I had imported using iTunes 4.7, with the exact same settings (160kbps, high VBR, normal stereo) and 5.0 sounds really bad compared to the earlier one. Anyone else experience this? Did Apple downgrade the MP3 encoder in order to turn people to AAC?
I was just noticing a gap of silence 5 seconds into every first track on version 5....went to check my mp3 settings and it was set to 160kbps. I upped the settings to 192 (my pref), and when I went back into the preferences it had reset to 160.
Makes me wonder if it's doing 190kbps at all...or even 160 for that matter.

Mohss
Toronto

FallN

iPod therefore I am
I'm hjaving problems MANUALLY updating my iPod (I have two computers). iTunes 5.0 won't let me drag over music! Help!