Magnets, yup magnets....

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Angelraine

iStalker
Website
www.spaces.msn.com
Hey There... First post. Many more to follow. (See Sig)
Hate to sound like a dumb blonde joke (I'm brunette) But My B-Day was July 9th, I got iPod photo 60GB and a new purse. Whenever I put iPod into my new purse It pauses. It doesn't turn off and yes the hold button is on.
Purse has a magnetic clasp, could that be the problem? I mean there is metal inside right? is the magnet slowing down the drive? Is that possible?
Seems so sad to choose between new purse and iPod. Logical choice would be iPod but still so unfair...
Any comments (and new purses without magnetic clasps) welcome

GNR'R

That could well be the problem. Try putting it in a non-magnetic purse for a while and see what happens

FeelTheFire

be careful with putting the iPod near magnets of any sort. a strong enough magnet (for example, one of those security pads at a store) will potentially wipe your hard drive.

yinyang

Retired
Angelraine said:
Hey There... First post. Many more to follow. (See Sig)
Hate to sound like a dumb blonde joke (I'm brunette) But My B-Day was July 9th, I got iPod photo 60GB and a new purse. Whenever I put iPod into my new purse It pauses. It doesn't turn off and yes the hold button is on.
Purse has a magnetic clasp, could that be the problem? I mean there is metal inside right? is the magnet slowing down the drive? Is that possible?
Seems so sad to choose between new purse and iPod. Logical choice would be iPod but still so unfair...
Any comments (and new purses without magnetic clasps) welcome
welcome to the lounge :)

in general magnets and hard drives do not go well together, but it does depend a lot on the strength of the magnet. not sure about purse clasps, but i would err on the side of caution and at least get a case of some sort that may minimise the effects of the magnet.

poky

I think it's more likely that the problem is the headphone plug getting bumped, or slightly pulled out. The iPod includes a feature that automatically pauses playback when it thinks the headphones have been pulled from the jack.

There are numerous threads that have addressed this issue. I was having the same problem, but since I understood what was happening, I've been able to nearly eliminate the problem just by making sure the headphones were plugged in firmly. Hope that helps.

neomax

iPod case with magnetic clasp

I have a leather iPod case by PDA Gear which has a magnetic clasp on the back side. Could that potentially interfere with the hard drive? You'd think that people would be smart enough to not make cases that can harm your iPod!

Angelraine

iStalker
Website
www.spaces.msn.com
I think it could be the headphone thing.... never even thought of that, but why would I? (See Sig) As far as magnets go the purse clasp isn't that strong... but I think I'll switch for a while anyway.. Purses should come with warnings (Tee Hee) Thanks guys!

Galley

Website
www.galleytech.com
The only magnets powerful enough to scrub data from a drive platter are laboratory degaussers or those used by government agencies to wipe bits off media. "In the real world, people are not losing data from magnets," says Bill Rudock, a tech-support engineer with hard-drive maker Seagate. "In every disk," notes Rudock, "there's one heck of a magnet that swings the head."

Angelraine

iStalker
Website
www.spaces.msn.com
Nice! I spent some time playing with the headphones last night (the notorious little white ones) and have come to the conclusion that "poky" was right. But I can't figure out how to get them plugged in anymore firmly than they are (i'ts 2 weeks and 2 days old) I'm gonna go find those other posts

AngerBoy

iPod Lounge Lizard
I'm concerned that I've screwed my HDD with a magnet myself - I have a powerful magnetic ID badge that I wear to work. It's at least powerful enough that employees with pacemakers aren't allowed to wear one! So I'm guessing that it may be to blame for my iPod's troubles of late...

Will a reset and/or iPod updater get my baby back to normal?

Anyone?

AngerBoy

iPod Lounge Lizard
I assume you're right, but the symptoms mine is demonstrating (resets by itself during a bunch of songs, etc.) seems to indicate that it's not completely "dead" - just in need of some sort of repair.

word

recently i got an case for my ipod, but it was like bootleg and ten dollars it closes with magnets. theyre behind the fake leather and small and towards the bottom of the ipod, which im told is where the battery is. will these magnets hurt my ipod