charging problems

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

poignantly

Hi, I got an ipod mini about a month ago, and now i switched it to a different computer, and it isn't charging through usb. it shows the do not disconnect screen, and the battery acts like it's charging, but it never charges. i've already tried resetting it, with no luck -- that seems to be the answer for any problem with ipod mini.

help!

beneyre

Sujestion, is the USB port USB 2 ( ie high powerd,) or another sujestion, is get a Self Powerd USB hub, that has a powerpack you plug into the wall so when u connect it to your pc, and your Ipod mini to the hub, it will suck the Juice from the hub and not the pc, or if your mobo is usb2 complient, then check you have usb 2 drivers installed if useing xp, goto sp2 and download the usb2 drivers from your mobo manafacturer, or the Chipset manufacturer.....hopes this is of some help

Yours Faithfully

Ben

the_commanche

Windows Reigns Supreme
XP doesn't need you to install 2.0 drivers. They're all already there.

I don't know what to tell you. Getting an AC Adapter would solve this problem with some benefits. The mini charging off of the AC Adapter produces a mush faster charge. 2-3 hours I believe for a full charge.

Good luck.

poignantly

actually, i got it to work just by plugging it into the computer's usb port, as opposed to the hub. go figure. thanks for all your suggestions!

beneyre

Well the_commanche, i must have a freak motherboard then lol, as i had to install my own via usb2 drivers after installing xp sp2 and that then enabled by highspeed usb2 ports on my pc so yea go figgure :-\

Yours Faithfully

Ben

Ichijoe

All Rush, All the time...
Just outa intrest I though all USBx.x Ports had a powerd +5v connection. I could be wrong here but, I don't think I'am though. But in anycase what constitutes a 'High Power' USBx.x Port??

beneyre

USB 1 / 1.1 does indead have +5volt, on them, but if you read your apple mini ipod manual, it says it will only charge on a usb2 port :-\ so i dont know, tho i know i had it chargeing on my 1.1 usb port untill i installed the drivers for my usb2 port, after installing sp2 for winxp, and it still charges, only diffrece i see is that the songs transfer faster...... i do know some peoples psu(s) dont have a good enough +5v rail, so if they have alot of usb devices pluged in, ie that have 4+ on board usb ports, and there psu dosnt have an good enough +5v rail, that they will not get enough voltage to the usb port the ipod is pluged into to charge it..... and also the +5v rail, also power some other onboard componets....so this could be a contributing factor, as sometimes some usbports show in windows as working but dont work when u plug a device into it, this is down to the +5v rail's

Hope that was a decent explination for you ich.....

Yours Faithfully

Ben

Ichijoe

Cant say that I have read a good (or otherwise), Mini Manuel as I never ownd a USBx.x iPod Mini or G4. Up to this point it's been IEEE1394a for me. G1 and G3...

So basicly a 'High Power' USBx.x is just hype?

Although the things you say about having to manny USBx.x devices is 100% correct though. I can still recall the USBx.x Monitor on Win98SE. Which basicly alerted you when you started to have to many USBx.x Devices connected. Where by there wouldn't be enough power for all those device to draw power off of.

I was under the delusion that this 'High Power' Spec. in USB2.0 ment a Powersource greater then +5v. That's all...

ohm

Website
www.98-drivers.com
USB 1.1 or 2.0 doesn't matter - they're identical where it comes to power supply.
There are indeed "high power" USB ports - able of giving 0.5 A of current and "low power" - not meant to power devices.
High power ports can be found in most computers and powered hubs.
Low power ports are common in unpowered hubs and older computers...

beneyre

whell when i mentioned high powerd usb ports, i was reading the blurb in the ipod mini manual... and i quote

"plug the included ipod dock connector to usb 2.0 cable in to a high power usv 2.0 port on your computer then connect the other end to your ipod mini"

end quote

"note if your computer dosnt have usb 2.0 port but has firewire 400 IEEE 1394 you can use the ipod dock connector to firewire cable availbull for purchase at www.ipod.com/store"

end quote

"Be sure to connect ipod mini to a high power usb 2.0 port directly on your computer or to a powerd usb 2.0 hub thats connected to your computer ipod mini wont work if connected to a low powerd usb 2.0 port such as thoes sometimes found on keyboards or other peripherals, if the battery icon in the upper right corner of the ipod is showing a lightning bolt the ipod mini is connected to a high powerd usb 2.0port and the battery is chargeing if your useing a portabull or a laptop computer usb 2.0 port be sure to connect the computer to a power outlet befor connecting the ipod mini for best results, if your computer dosnt have a high power usb 2.0 port but has a 6pin ieee 1394 firewire port you can connect your ipod mini useing the optional ipod dock connector to firewire cable availbull www.ipod.com/store....If your windows pc dosnt have a high power usb 2.0 port or a 6 pin firewire 400 ieee 1394 port you can purchase and install a usb 2.0 card or a firewire card"

End quote

so if one was to take that as gospal, it is saying it will only work on usb 2.0 but that is not the case as if all you have is a usb 1.1 port it will charge and transfer songs but is much slower rated to 11/12 mbps

Hope i cleared my self up

Yours Faithfully

Ben

Ichijoe

Thanks ohm for clearing that up so the 0.5A (amps), is what constitutes 'High Power' ok gotcha...

beneyre

Ich, you not like my blurb from the apple manual, where it blabs on about high powerd ports alot lol, but as i said they dont mention usb 1.1 in the manual, tho if thats all you have, you dont need to buy a usb 2.0 card, or a firewire card or if u have the port but no cable, u can just use the usb cable on 1.1 but it is slower but saves money

:)

Yours Faithfully

Ben

Ichijoe

That's because USB1.1 is virtualy dead besides Camears, PDA's and other simular device still use it. But, I don't think you can actually find a new Computer that still uses it. Besides I wanted a diffenition on what 'High Power' was and not a press release on USB2.0.

In anycase I think I just stick to IEEE1394a. As it's far more superior to anything Intel has to offer visavis USBx.x...

beneyre

Well, afaik, USB 2.0 Runs faster and has a faster data through put than 400 IEEE 1394 does, so your songs transfer faster on usb, than firewire, and i only quoted the apple, manual to clear something up ich, there was no need to get all uppty about it, remember this is a friendly fourum for new and existing members, please try to remember this, and please dont start a flame thread, as this is against the terms and conditions of your account on ipodlounge

Thanks

Ben

beneyre

well unless your like the other unfortunate chap that when he connected his ipod and had his printer pluged in it crashed the pc, this is due to overloading the usb 1.1 bus, would not of happend with the usb 2.0 bus

Oh Well

Just a Thought Just a Thought

Ben