Menu Button Won't Work!!!!!!! :(

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

NightOnTheSun

Today, I plugged in my iTrip to listen to my iPod over the radio in my house- it worked fine as usual, but when I went to scroll through the list of songs to pick a different one, the Menu button wouldn't work at all!!!!!!! It literall went from working one second to inoperable the next! When I press it, the screen light goes on, but it won't go to the menu!! I purchased my iPod at Circuit City, its a 20 gig, 3rd generation model, and I have had it for about 3 months. I take immaculate care of the thing- I treat it like a newborn baby, and have done nothing that should have resulted in this- its never been dropped, damaged, shaken around, or given me any problems what-so-ever. I didn't, however, purchase the Circuit City Service Plan for $50 at the time because I am basically a broke college student, and I damn near had to take out a loan just to buy the iPod itself. So now I don't know what to do with it... does anyone have any tips, advice, help, or directions??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~Jamie
[email protected]

gbobm

Have you tried resetting your IPOD. This generally fixes about 95% of all problems with them.

Hold down the menu and play buttons at the same time for about 20 seconds and you will see it restart and go to the apple sign.

This has worked with any problems I've had.

mungler

if you only bought it 3 months ago, surely its still covered by the Apple warranty?

get in touch with apple via www.apple.com/support and ask them about a warranty repair.

Kalvin00

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I also have an inoperable Menu button, however I have the 2G 10GB model. I bought it from a fellow on a forum, received it, and menu button has not worked at all. Resetting, charging has done no good. The seller insists it worked fine when he shipped. Anything I can do?

Also, has anyone ever claimed a damaged shipment from UPS, and if so, how difficult of a task was it?

Thanks.

mungler

ive had a bit of a first-gen odyssey over the last couple days... might be of help, might not.

firstly, i was getting the folder icon with '!', along with random freezes and reboots. after reformatting the disk, using the linux-on-ipod project to extract the firmware partition etc, i concluded the problem wasnt software.

upon taking the unit apart, i eventually tracked the problem down to the little hard disk connector under the scroll-wheel was loose. i pushed it back in with a screwdriver and it seems fine now :eek:)

however, when i put the unit back together, the bloody menu button was completely non-functional.... EXCEPT that holding it along with play did a successful reboot. wtf?

after yet more hacking around with it, i figured out that *bending the PCB* slightly so the screen-side curves outwards, thus raising the top of the wheel assembly slightly, made the menu button work again. release the pressure... menu button not working, apply some pressure.. its working!

so ive actually stuck a folded up bit of card in the pod, between the back of the PCB and the hard disk, about halfway down the ipod's length, bunged the battery on... and hey presto. it works!!

i dunno if this is going to work long term (it certainly seems like a dodgy fix.. i may actually open it up and sellotape the card in place), but its information i certainly couldnt find anywhere else on the net, so hopefully its useful to someone.

cheers

- mungler

ehatch

same thing

I have a 1G Ipod that is doing the exact same thing...It has been bugging me for some time....I will try the folded paper bit...dodgy or not if it works that would rock.

mungler

keep me posted!

cool.. bung a post in and tell us if it works - it may help others after all.

sadly my pod has finally gone to that great MP3 in the sky since i posted. now podless! :'(

ehatch

Strong in the force this one is

That worked like a champ!..but if yours is shot that does not bode well for this one huh? many props for the fix....dodgy or not ;)

mungler

nice one!

i think it was my pod's hard disk that died. it still works, but *very* fitfully. hopefully the bent pcb trick should see you alright, so long as your disk is still healthy...

cheers!

showrunner

I had the exact same problem as NightOnTheSun, except I've got a 4G 40 gig ipod.

The problem was fixed simply by connecting my ipod back to my computer (didn't know about the reset option at the time as I was on a roadtrip). Will resetting with the select and menu button produce the same effect?

I'm wondering if this is a continuing problem or if it's an indicater of other bigger problems. Cause I'm still under warranty and if so I'd try to send it back and get a replacement but don't want to go through the trouble if it's a one time thing.

Also anyone know if they'd let me replace a personalized engraved ipond with a non-engraved one? I don't want to wait as long to get the replacement and it's not like I care that much for my engravement.

mungler that card sounds sketchy, but it's so cool that it actually works!