Guides. Create Bookmarking Files (Mac&PC), Cassette Tape, LP & CD(PC)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

robert

Retired
chedabob said:
ive tried this guide but there is no aac option in my itunes. i have itunes 4.7.1 any ideas why? i tried converting using nero but it just creates an mp4. i used wmp, and saved the .mp3 as an m4a, but itunes wont add it to library.
Since you already have an mp4 file, I think that you could rename it m4b, add it to iTunes, and that it would work.

The easiest is to use Markable which will take care of all the conversions (whether you have iTunes importing set to mp3 or AAC), rename the files, insert the new files in iTunes, and remove all the extraneous files for you. Well worth the $15. Try it free for five days and see if you don't agree.:D

chedabob

ive just reinstalled itunes, and the aac option appeared. i tried renaming to m4b, but itunes wouldnt play it. ive tried markable and its great.

tetbautista

ihave a books & spoken file saved as .mp3 file. i wonder y it doesnt go to audiobooks category when i transfer.

robert

Retired
Gotta be m4b or aa file. See guides in signature below on how to convert. Conversion will also make the file bookmarkable.

tetbautista

yes ive tried both extensions by renaming it and it doesnt work. :(
is there a program to convert it?

robert

Retired
Try reading the guides instead of just renaming. You have to make a conversion. Try Guide 1, but since you appear to be a beginner, Recommend EZ Guide and MarkAble.

robert

Retired
OK, try Guide 1. It is adaptable for mac. You will have to convert from mp3 to AAC then rename. Guide 1 has step by step instructions for how to use iTunes to do so. Good luck.

tetbautista

i give up! it doesnt work. :( tried mp3 convert to aac using itunes then it becomes .m4a then changed to .m4b. sigh*

robert

Retired
it has worked for lots of people. Be sure you are importing the newly renamed file into iTunes. Go back to Guide 1 and make certain you are executing each and every step. What doesn't work? Is the file in itunes under songs? What happens when you right click and choose show file? Do you see a file with m4b extension. Have you used applescripts, the link, to "rename" the file. I understand that mac doesn't actually need to be renamed m4b, but the applescript changes the tags so that it becomes a bookmarking audiobook. Post some more of what doesn't work, and maybe a mac user can help you out.

tetbautista

it plays all the file extensions in my itunes & ipod. But when i transfer the files to the ipod it doesnt go to audiobooks. It goes directly under music's playlists.

Last edited:

robert

Retired
rename the file extension m4b following the renaming steps in Guide 1. Clear the song name of the file that now has a ! by it and no file associated with it. Import the newly named file into iTunes as described in the guide, then drag or synch the renamed file to your iPod. I am shaky on mac territory here, but I think mac doesn't require renaming to become a bookmarking file, but may require renaming to m4b to place in audiobooks.

I repeat, what do you see when you click show file? What file extension? You can rename it in the process of looking.

tetbautista

okay.. i have the original file with the extension of .mp3 - then i converted the file to Apple Lossless so it changed the file to .m4a then manually replaced the extension with .m4b.

Still, doesn't work. :( btw, i have a 4G iPod. I believed that some of the features are not the same with the earlier iPods.

robert

Retired
I believe you have to use the applescript referred to in the guide to change the tags, not just rename.

isoiso

are you all mad!

this is a complete load of rubbish - what are we? pretend hackers? we need to be able to download an mp3 onto an ipod and if it is music then - cool tag it as normal - artist,album etc. If it is spoken word/podcast IT SHOULD BE BOOKMARKAEBLE ;) and in a different area to our songs - oh and while i am on it - we should be able to delete stuff after we have listened to it. maybe i am wrong and should spend most of my time hacking around with file conversion and stuff . HELP! Ijust wanna listen to stuff and be able to find it ...... :(

leeraff

Agree with "mad"

Why does this have to be some damn hard?

Aren't there other players that have, oh, I don't know, a freakin' "bookmarking" feature? On other players, when you hit genre.... will it maybe, only show that genre, regardless of format?!?

Not real impressed with all the work involved. Think about it from a newbie's point of view all the detail and work involved in this post. Think I'll just go get a different player!?!

Thought ipod was supposed to be easy. Maybe all those critics out there have a point. Love not to become one, but geez, convert this to that and rename this and buy this 3rd party software and rename this.

Later! The Creative player I initially bought and returned EVEN SOUNDED BETTER! FACT! Didn't get nearly the wash out of sounds I do with the ipod and now the ipod is this complicated?1? Later!

chetman

Hi
Just to let you guys know that i tried this and it works but only if I drag and drop the m4b files from my library to the iPod. They then show up inder audiobooks. If I select update iTunes does not send them to my iPod.
Has anyone experienced this and is it unusual?

Ta

moriond

chetman said:
Hi
Just to let you guys know that i tried this and it works but only if I drag and drop the m4b files from my library to the iPod. They then show up inder audiobooks. If I select update iTunes does not send them to my iPod.
Has anyone experienced this and is it unusual?

Ta
Are you using a Mac or a PC? What kind of updating options do you have selected (manual sync, semi-automatic sync, or autosync) under the iTunes preferences for your iPod? Are these podcasts that you have made bookmarkable? That's the only place in iTunes where you can "select update" by toggling on an icon and they are downloaded into a special Podcast subdirectory. However, the "update" only refers to updating the contents of this subdirectory of your iTunes Music Library, not updating your iPod.

If you're on a PC and you have just the bookmarkable (m4b) files in iTunes when you connect, then the iPod should update the same as usual (e.g., autosync will bring these across, if that's what you're using; in manual mode all files have to be transferred with drag and drop). (Make sure that you've cleared up intermediate files before you autosync, so you don't have these on your iPod).

If you're on a Mac, you only had to run the Make Bookmarkable AppleScript on your files. The only confusing occasion occurs if you use autosync and you already had these files on your iPod tagged as non-bookmarkable (e.g., you didn't create a new large file which merged the contents of several CDs, and which you then made bookmarkable). In that case, the iPod will only update the status of these files (as bookmarkable) if there is a change in the file length or the keywords -- go and type "OK" in the comments field, for example. When you next connect under autosync these will be bookmarkable. No need for any of this if you make new files bookmarkable before you autosync. And no confusion if you use manual syncing, since files are brought over by drag and drop.