Why you *CANNOT* replace a mini 1G battery with a 2G one

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Icecool

Apple Psychopath
Note to all: Why you *CANNOT* replace a mini 1G battery with a 2G one

For those wondering if you can just send your iPod mini 1G back to Apple for a replacement higher capacity battery, you cannot.

The reason?

The iPod mini 2G does not use a higher capacity battery.

The reason why the 2G gets longer battery life is because Apple replaced the PortalPlayer chipset inside the iPod mini 2G with the new one (Check iPodlounge front news) which gives triple the battery life using the same battery.

The chipset itself cannot be replaced as it is soldered onto the circuitry.

Last edited:

kornchild2002

Don't forget about a more efficient hard drive, the new 4GB and 6GB iPods use a new hard drive. Thanks for posting this, there are too many questions that regard this.

I wouldn't be surprised if a third party company comes out with a higher capacity battery in the future, but looking at current models my guess is that it would only add around a 30% increase.

joits

Dang, that sux man. I was hoping it would just be a simple case of switching the battery... and voila... 20plus hrs. ah well... thanks for the info tho...

chopperC81

so, this means if u send your 1G ipod mini in for a new battery, the'll replace it with 8hr battery?

Finally, someone has tried to put an end to this.

And finally, now all you mini owners, you know what it feels like to be *outdated*. It's alittle degrading now... isn't it? :p

pInK

cpn.luckycharms said:

And finally, now all you mini owners, you know what it feels like to be *outdated*. It's alittle degrading now... isn't it? :p
Everything I've ever gotten has been outdated within six months... I'm used to it! :) I clung to an old brick-sized Casseiopeia E115 until last year, not wanting to admit obsolescence.

funnyperson1

Website
filebox.vt.edu
cpn.luckycharms said:

Doesn't really bother me, what does is my 7 hours of battery life, I would much prefer to be able to upgrade the Mini battery, but regardless of whether the Mini 2G does not have a better battery, I am hoping that someone will sell a replacement battery for the mini that will upgrade battery life as people have done for the Ipod 1,2,3, and 4th gen Ipods.

I do have a suspicion that Apple did improve the battery a little bit along with the power requirement improvements, something like 30%. While the new processor surely helped a lot, I don't think the change from 8hours to 26hours (as measured by IpodLounge) is only attributed to the cpu change.

I would like to see if anyone took this apart for actual confirmation.

Daveoc64

funnyperson1 said:
Doesn't really bother me, what does is my 7 hours of battery life, I would much prefer to be able to upgrade the Mini battery, but regardless of whether the Mini 2G does not have a better battery, I am hoping that someone will sell a replacement battery for the mini that will upgrade battery life as people have done for the iPod 1,2,3, and 4th gen iPods.

I do have a suspicion that Apple did improve the battery a little bit along with the power requirement improvements, something like 30%. While the new processor surely helped a lot, I don't think the change from 8hours to 26hours (as measured by iPodLounge) is only attributed to the cpu change.

I would like to see if anyone took this apart for actual confirmation.
Oh dear, there is no battery you can fit to a 4G to increase the battery life.(there is for the 1G,2G and 3G) You should really listen. The new chip trebles the power life (an increase of 300% not 30%) and through other tweaks it gets a long life.

There is no bigger battery inside (if there is it probably adds a tiny improvement and could be incompatible with the 1G mini).

They have also made power savings elsewhere - the Hard Disk is more effecient and the software is probably written better.

Last edited:

funnyperson1

Website
filebox.vt.edu
Daveoc64 said:
Oh dear, there is no battery you can fit to a 4G to increase the battery life.(there is for the 1G,2G and 3G) You should really listen. The new chip trebles the power life (an increase of 300% not 30%) and through other tweaks it gets a long life.

There is no bigger battery inside (if there is it probably adds a tiny improvement and could be incompatible with the 1G mini).

They have also made power savings elsewhere - the Hard Disk is more effecient and the software is probably written better.
Battery upgrade for 4G Ipod:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/BIPOD750M4/

I was simply implying that nobody has actually taken apart a 2G Ipod Mini and verified that it is the same battery, and until then it is not a fact and should not be stated as such. I put in my opinion that perhaps a slightly better capacity battery was included as one of the many variables which contributed to this large increase in battery life. Until someone takes one apart, anything we say is speculation. The chip itself may take a third of the power, but the chip is not the only thing that drains power from the Ipod battery. Also, saying that the hard drive is more efficient and the firmware is coded better is really an assumption that was made, nobody from Apple has confirmed this.

So far the only fact is that there is a more efficient processor in the new mini, other than that all is speculation until we hear from somebody who has actually taken apart a Mini 2G. So excuse me for not taking everything I read on a message board as a god-given fact so you could ride in on your high-horse and correct me.

Mapleboy

I thought that apple gave you a new ipod when you sent it in. If not, then why does it take longer for a personalized ipod to get returned? Maybe I read wrong, that does not sound very cost effective.

funnyperson1

Website
filebox.vt.edu
Mapleboy said:
I thought that apple gave you a new ipod when you sent it in. If not, then why does it take longer for a personalized ipod to get returned? Maybe I read wrong, that does not sound very cost effective.
It depends, a battery replacmenent is fairly routine. Apple replaces if there is something else like a dead hard drive or messed up screen. In that case they would still fix it and send it out to someone as a replacement refurbished.

WarCow

Website
www.warcow.dk
It is possible to get a 500mAh battery to your iPod mini from this site: http://www.ipodupgrade.nl/

I bought one last week and it's great. Of course it's not the 18 hours of playtime you can get with the new iPod mini but now i can get about 8 hours of playtime compared to 5-6 hours with the old battery (because i use EQ and backlight, and also skip songs a lot).

So it's not a lot of extra juice you're getting, but if you're about to replace your battery anyways it might be a good idea to upgrade it at the same time.

Last edited:

iTara

Digital Hooligan
1G & 2G refer to first & second generation, the acronym for a gigabyte is GB, very easy to confuse..

STOP SPAMMING YOUR URL EVERYWHERE.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

T.

Ichijoe

All Rush, All the time...
For the same reasion you can not change the otherwise identical 650mhA Batterie in the 3G iPod with the One from a 4G / iPod Photo.

The 2G Mini has a Different Portal Player Chipset then the original Mini. Because it uses less Power to run the the original the Batterie will last longer. Think of it a a Glass of Soda. You can either sip it little by little of chuck it down in one big gulp. The Amount of Soda is the same for everyone, though.

Get it now??

Perhaps for sake of convetion and claraty we should refer to the Mini as 'Mini G1' (4Gb) and 'Mini G2' (6Gb),. In much the same way as the 'iPod Photo G1' (40Gb & 60Gb), and 'iPod Photo G2' (30Gb & 60Gb)...

Last edited: