Why does the iPod scratch so easily?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Pghmyn

I am just wondering, plain and simple, why does the iPod scratch so easily? I mean, it scratches while it is in my cloth pocket...

Pghmyn

kornchild2002

The plastic coating is pretty weak. There are alot of other mp3 players that scratch easily. When I had my Rio Karma, the front LCD wasn't bad but the rubbery plastic began to peal.

DenZ

Its a marketing plot from Apple to make people buy their cases ;-)

Pghmyn

You know, I wish that Apple would spend some more time perfecting the out case more. I mean that they should make the out shell more scratch resitant and have the click wheel more scratch resistant. I bet that if they come out with a iPod 5th generation they will have the scratching issue fixed. Atleast I would hope so. Otherwise, I love the iPod.

Pghmyn

bov

i dont really mind scratches, i just hate how iPods suck every last drip of oil from your skin.

:(

bdb

On the B side of life
Pghmyn said:
I bet that if they come out with a iPod 5th generation they will have the scratching issue fixed
Everybody always seems to think that all the problems will be solved in the next generation...which is odd, given how similar every generation is to its predecessor.

jedk

The iPod gets scratched, just like any portable device. I think that people notice the iPod scratches more though, because it's such a good looking music player and scratches are more easily noticed :p
Pghmyn said:
I bet that if they come out with a iPod 5th generation they will have the scratching issue fixed.
There will be a 5G iPod, have no doubt about that...

Last edited:

FallN

iPod therefore I am
They make it so scratch prone so that Apple and other vendors can make a killing on cases. I don't doubt that for a second. :mad:

Interpol

Pghmyn said:
You know, I wish that Apple would spend some more time perfecting the out case more. I mean that they should make the out shell more scratch resitant and have the click wheel more scratch resistant. I bet that if they come out with a iPod 5th generation they will have the scratching issue fixed. Atleast I would hope so. Otherwise, I love the iPod.
Geez, get over it - it's PLASTIC. Plastic is softer than most other materials. It scratches. Period. If you're that concerned, buy a case for it. That way people who don't care about scratches don't have to pay for scratch protection. That's why Apple dropped the dock, Firewire cable, and case from their current lineup - not everybody uses them, and it's cheaper for the consumer.

Sure, Apple has the means and the technology to pretty much do anything with the iPod. That's not the issue though - the issue is whether or not their buyers are willing to pay for such a feature.

If Apple made an iPod with a titanium case and synthetic sapphire glass so it was completely scratch resistant, would you buy it if those features tacked on an extra $200 to the price? Or if they gave you a choice between that and regular plastic for $200 less with an iSkin for $20, which one would you buy?

Anyone here can make a list of cool things they wish an iPod could do, but whether anyone is willing to pay for them is a completely different story.

Interpol

FallN said:
They make it so scratch prone so that Apple and other vendors can make a killing on cases. I don't doubt that for a second. :mad:
Then you're not only clueless, you're ignorant.

I bet you believe that game software companies release software that requires high-powered video cards so vendors can make a killing on those too, right? Or car manufacturers make cars that require premium unleaded gas so people have to pay more for gas?

The bottom line is that Apple had to strike a balance between features, durability, and cost. That's it. Obviously, with the millions and millions of iPods sold around the world so far, they've struck that balance quite well.

FallN

iPod therefore I am
The fact that you'd say something that blatantly assinine astounds me. Maybe you have your head in a hole in the ground or up another hole in your backside, but it was just reported here on iPolounge (are you blind, deaf and dumb??) as well as all over the papers, news, financial forecasts, etc. that the average iPod owner spends a minimum of $150 on accessories alone! It's been even coined "The iPod Economy". Apple is WELL aware of it. And guess what's at the VERY top, #1 spot on the list?? A CASE!!

I do have to admit that your delicate balance of arrogance mixed with outright stupidity is quite amusing. Thanks for the laugh. :D

Now, you sir, have a good (clueless) day.

Last edited:

Interpol

FallN said:
The fact that you'd say something that blatantly assinine astounds me. Maybe you have your head in a hole in the ground or up another hole in your backside, but it was just reported here on iPolounge (are you blind, deaf and dumb??) as well as all over the papers, news, financial forecasts, etc. that the average iPod owner spends a minimum of $150 on accessories alone! It's been even coined "The iPod Economy". Apple is WELL aware of it. And guess what's at the VERY top, #1 spot on the list?? A CASE!!

I do have to admit that your delicate balance of arrogance mixed with outright stupidity is quite amusing. Thanks for the laugh. :D

Now, you sir, have a good (clueless) day.
Stupidity, eh? Takes one to know one, obviously.

Your iPodLounge report proves what? Absolutely nothing. Your conspiracy theory that Apple makes the iPod scratch-prone on PURPOSE in order to sell cases is still ridiculous, and your citation above doesn't prove it either. All it says is that average iPod owners spend money on accessories. Even if Apple is aware of it, you're reading too much into it - that doesn't mean that weaknesses in the design of the iPod were purposefully introduced into it just to sell accessories. Show us a source that backs up what you say. We're not interested in your stupid semi-associations between fact and your imagination.

Keep trying, moron. All of us here are still waiting for your proof. By the way, how many more times are you going to recommend that people report their stolen iPod serial numbers to Apple? Idiot.

Last edited:

FallN

iPod therefore I am
LOL! You're a flaming joke! I swear, you've actually cracked me up. I haven't had such a hard laugh in a few days. Thank you SO much for the giggles. :D

Ahh.. a moron? "Takes one to know one"- isn't that what you said? Dude, you need some better material! You're a laugh and a half. Thanks again!

Imagination? You seem to have a pretty vivid one. I'd like to come and visit you in your little dream-like world. Poplulation: CRAZY! And who's "All of us"? You and all of your psycho personalities?? I don't see anyone else above asking the same knuckle-head questions as you. And you have the gaul to come into this thread and outright attack and flame people for their personal obseverations and views. Flamefeast 2005: Flamestarter= YOU! Congrats a-hole. You get a prize! Your virtual a$$ served on a platter.

It's funny because I'm still waiting for ANY proof from you that Apple DOESN'T intinitally make it so darn scratch prone! Ahh... but there IS NONE! All we have is solid, hard, REAL WORLD, hands-on proof that the iPod is a Hell of a lot more scratch prone than it needs to be. I have a ton of other PLASTIC portable electronics/appliances. Are they made of similar material? HELL YES! Do they scratch like an iPod?? HELL NO! So what is Apple doing to their iPods that makes them so delicate and WHY?!?

You're seriously stupid if you don't think it's actually methodical/intentional. You don't think that they pay literally MILLIONS of dollars to a design and tech team?? And don't you think that MILLION dollar design and tech team take into account the materials and possible problems with said materials??

You're a bigger a$$ than I initally thought you were if you don't think that Apple is fully aware of their scratch magnet iPods and have BUILT THEM THAT WAY ON PURPOSE! Nothing about the iPod is an "accident". Steve Jobs is too much of a prefectionist to do otherwise and he's made his billions because of it.

Now, here's a quarter, kid: go buy yourself a clue and with the leftover change buy yourself some manners.

Last edited:

AndyH

FallN and Interpol: enough with the bickering back and forth. I'd prefer to leave this thread open, but if you two can't get along I will close the thread.

FallN

iPod therefore I am
Hi AndyH. I completely respect your authority and I will no longer partake in replies to Interpol. I just couldn't let the guy just call people morons and ignorant completely UNPROVOKED. No one addressed the guy or called him names UNTIL he came out of nowhere calling other's names including me. :mad:

Interpol is now being ignored. Thanks AndyH.

Interpol

Sorry AndyH. I just dislike people making ignorant claims and spreading false information without any facts backing them up and felt FallN needed to be called out on it.

Since we no longer have to worry about FallN responding, I'll let this thread fade away.

Judas1012

Grade-A Beef
Website
www.jeffhoppe.com
Why would Apple make the iPod scratch-prone to help other companies? That hypothesis might have some merit if Apple made a decent case, but they don't (and I doubt your reasoning holds water for the iPod socks).

I'm not gonna call you any names, or tell you you're blantantly wrong, but your hypothesis does reek of "conspiracy." I doubt that Apple put any design effort into making the iPod scratch easily. I think it's more likely to believe that scratch-resistance wasn't high on Apple's list, but I seriously doubt they intentionally made it scratch easily.

toothpaste

AndyH said:
FallN and Interpol: enough with the bickering back and forth. I'd prefer to leave this thread open, but if you two can't get along I will close the thread.
Oh come on. It was a very interesting read to say the least watching the two intellectual titans battle it out for supremacy. It made this mundane thread worth reading. For a moment I felt awe, as I walked with giants.:)

Xball89

Smashing Pumpkins
bov said:
i dont really mind scratches, i just hate how iPods suck every last drip of oil from your skin.

:(
I completely agree. Its very annoying....lol