how much does 1gb actually hold

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

ratlapse

like the mini actually holds 3.7 gb and the 20gb actually holds 18.5 gb, how much does the 1 gb model actually hold?

ham_man

The 1 gb can hold 240 songs at 128 kbps AAC at 4 minutes per song.

-Andrew

jessica.

That really depends. 6.65mb = Green Day's American Idiot @ 320kbps.
4.79mb = Matt Nathanson's Curve of the Earth mp3 @ 192kbps.
So it can vary. I have about 8gb free on my mp3 and I have less than 7000 songs and three audio books.
3.8mb = Let's Get it Started by the Black Eyed Peas @ 128kbps from iTunes.

Either way you look at it, 240 songs 7000 songs, that is a lot of music.

FallN

iPod therefore I am
You physically don't get a full 1 GBs anyway. The way they "market" size and their real world calculations are two different beasts.

You'll get something like 900 MBs... now how big your music files are and at what compression rate they are stored will REALLY be the deciding factor with the amount of actual songs your iPod Shuffle can hold...

Kurashima

1 000 000 000 bytes, which translates to about 953 MB. Some space will be used for software, so going by their music estimate (240 songs at 128 kbps) it'll be exactly 900 MB.

That's 16 hours of music at 128 kbps or 12 hours at a more reasonable 192 kbps.

Phoenixfury

I'm not entirely sure on space estimates here as memory isn't read the same as hard drive capacity. This may also depend on if the Shuffles OS is held on it's own ROM or not, but I would suspect that Shuflle's OS is not complex enough to put a big dent on the Shuffle's over all cpacity anyway. The only thing I can think of that may take away from the full capacity is the file system. I have a sneaky suspician the file system won't put much of a dent on over all capacity either.

I plugged in my digital camera which has a 128 MB flash card in it. The over all capacity available is 124.8 MB. That means I lose 3.2 MB likely to the OS/and or file system. So if you go on those figures, you might get a better guestimate of what kind of loss to expect on the Shuffle.

Last edited:

Phoenixfury

Ok, sorry for the double post here, but I figured out what kind of loss you may expect based on the over all capacity of the flash card on my digital cam. I multiplied 124.8 4X which brings me to 499.2 for the 512 MB version. Double that for the Gig and I get 99.8 MB. If the Shuffle fallows the same capacity reading as the flash memory in my camera, then this should be fairly accurate.

-James

Website
www.google.co.uk
People, the guy isn't talking about how much music you can get on there. He's talking about its actual formatted capacity. Like the 4GB minis only actually have a capactiy of 3.7GB, and the 20GB iPods only actually have a capacity of 18.5GB. I don't actually know, but i'd predict maybe 990MB. Or something around there.