iTunes not recognising CD

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

russellwilletts

PLEASE HELP ME!!!
After two days boredom, putting my Cd collection into iTunes, all of a sudden iTunes will not recognise ant CDs that I put into either drive on my computer. I'm using a PC with XP and i can see the files through my computer, it wont even recognise CDs i put on an hour ago!! I'm on a roll and determined to get these last few CDs onto my iPod!! Can anyone please help me?? I dont want to have to copy the tracks through Media Player as its taking too long. If I reinstall itunes will it effect my library?? Ive changed song names etc??
Cheers Russell

mndtrp

your taxes hard at work
Welcome to the forum, #12 I've seen today.

Apparently your internet connection is good, so it can access CDDB.
Does the cd show up at all when inserted? Or, is it just not showing song and album names?

If you haven't already, try a reboot of the computer. Reinstalling itunes is probably one of the last things you'll want to do. I think it will reset all ratings and play counts. You may be able to move your .xml file out of the itunes folder, and then import it after reinstallation.

mndtrp

your taxes hard at work
Try these steps as well, taken from itunes -> Help -> itunes and music store help.

If iTunes isn't recognizing audio CDs or if you're having trouble importing songs, check the following:

If iTunes doesn't recognize an audio CD (it doesn't appear in the Source list), quit iTunes, then open it again by double-clicking the application icon in the iTunes folder in the Program Files folder on your hard disk. Do not open it using the iTunes shortcut on your desktop. If iTunes recognizes the CD now, delete the iTunes shortcut and create a new one.
Choose Edit > Preferences and click Importing. If the "Use error correction when reading Audio CDs" checkbox is not selected, select it. If it's already selected, deselect it.
If you're having trouble importing songs, make sure you check your computer or drive manufacturer's site for firmware updates and install any appropriate for your computer and CD or DVD drive.
Make sure you have the latest software updates for Windows or your CD or DVD drive. Check the Windows website and your computer or drive manufacturer's site for updates. Also make sure you have the latest drivers for your video and sound cards.
If you have more than one CD or DVD drive, try using iTunes with each drive.
To see if iTunes can find any problems with your CD drive, choose Help > Run CD Diagnostics. For help with understanding the diagnostics results and other CD troubleshooting information, see this article on the Apple Support website: www.apple.com/support/itunes/windows/cddiagnostics.

If you're still having trouble importing songs, visit the apple support website at www.apple.com/support/itunes.

russellwilletts

I have tried all you suggested except for the downloading of the updates etc as i'm unsure how to do this. I've been onto the Packard Bell website and looked up the model of my computer and there are updates there for a BIOS update telling me to make a bootable CD. I am at a loss as to what to do here, i just find it starnge that iTunes has suddenly just stopped recognising any CDs. Ive read that people have had problems from the outset regarding this problem so i tried a system restore to when i was having no difficulties but this was to no avail. Its really frustrating for me as i now have to rip CDs in WMP and then transfer them across and i cannot burn CDs from my iTunes collection as iTunes will not recognise blank CDs. I would really appreciate any further help.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
iTunes 4.7.0.42
CD Driver 2.0.4.0
CD Driver DLL 2.0.2.0
LowerFilters: PxHelp20 (2.0.0.0),
UpperFilters: asapi (6.0.0.1), GEARAspiWDM (2.0.4.0),
Video Driver: SiS 650 SiS Compatible VGA

IDE\CdRomHL-DT-ST_CD-RW_GCE-8483B________________1.01____, Bus Type ATA, Bus Address [1,0]
IDE\CdRomHL-DT-ST_DVD-ROM_GDR8162B_______________0017____, Bus Type ATA, Bus Address [0,0]
SCSI\CdRomH_+_H___DVD-ROM_DVD-41SD4.10, Bus Type SCSI, Bus Address [0,0]
SCSI\CdRomH_+_H___DVD-ROM_DVD-41SD4.10, Bus Type SCSI, Bus Address [1,0]
SCSI\CdRomH_+_H___DVD-ROM_DVD-41SD4.10, Bus Type SCSI, Bus Address [2,0]
If you have multiple drives on the same IDE or SCSI bus, these drives may interfere with each other.
Some Dell computers need an update to the ATA bus driver before iTunes recognizes CDs. If you have a Dell computer, check the Dell support website for details.

D: Unsupported CD or DVD drive.
Virtual drives can sometimes interfere with reading and writing CDs in iTunes. If this is a virtual drive and you are having problems with other drives, try uninstalling the virtual CD application.

E: Unsupported CD or DVD drive.
Virtual drives can sometimes interfere with reading and writing CDs in iTunes. If this is a virtual drive and you are having problems with other drives, try uninstalling the virtual CD application.

luke77

I have the same problem. I have been using Itunes for a couple of years with no problems. I have just upgraded to the latest version (4.7.0.42) and now it doesn't recognise my Cd drive. Can anyone please help!!
Luke

russellwilletts

The only way that i can put songs into iTunes is to open Windows Media Player and rip the files into a folder. Then open Itunes and add the files to library, iTunes then converts the files. This of course takes twice as long. From reading various forums i have come to the conclusion that there is a bug in the program probably due to conflicting programs using the cd drives. Until Apple sort this out, with no doubt version 4.8, i'm going to have to sit out the ten minutes per CD that its currently taking me!!

pickarw

itunes issues reading CD's

Did anyone figure this one out yet? Other than the workarounds?

brad77

We're having the same problem here. I found that we had issues when non-administrator users were trying to run iTunes (on XP Pro). Once the user was granted administrative privileges on the computer, iTunes happily recognized the discs. Removing the rights set everything back to the way that it was.

This is not ideal, but it worked for the short term.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Brad