Advanced method for fitting large library into 4GB Mini

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

simonilan

I am obviously being very stupid but could someone please explain in the simpliest way what words/phrases you have to use in the smartlist to get it to rotate the songs?

Regards,

GhiaCabriolet

I seem to be having problems with the updates of the playlists too. I set up several lists based on ratings and setting it to "least recently played". When I connect the Mini, it doesn't do an update. It doesn't update the ratings, the play count nor does it rotate any songs. I just get an error that it cannot be updated because there is not enough space (there's about 35mb free on the Mini.

This should probably be posted under the problems forum but there don't seem to be many responses to threads over there about this. So, I thought I would try here since I used the information here for setting up the smart lists.

Hope someone can help. Thanks.

rewind

fujiorange said:
Hey I'm new to iTunes and iPods, and i was setting up a most recently-played Smart Playlist to auto-sync with my ipod. However, I've noticed that when i play songs not loaded in my iPod, they don't go under the most recently-played songs list that i made. But songs that are loaded on the iPod do get updated in the playlist. Can anyone tell me why this is happening? thanks.
I realize that this post is a couple months old, but I would suspect that the smart playlist has "Match only checked songs" option selected. This would include songs that were checked for syncing to your iPod, but would exclude any other songs in your library.

pagoodle

I am fast approaching 1000 songs, so I had a question about using this 'advanced method'. After you create the playlists, you go to iPod preferences or settings..and choose the smart playlists to update those only, correct?

Then, when you browse in the iPod, is there nothing when you go Browse >> Songs?? Can you only access the songs in the playlists, you can't browse by artist anymore... Am I right?

Am I making sense? lol

rewind

Think of it this way... iTunes will copy those songs that are on the playlists from your iTunes library to the library on the iPod. You can still browse through this subset of the library on the iPod. You can also use the playlists that you copy over and the on-the-go playlist on the iPod. So... No, you CAN browse by artist (at least all those artists that are copied over onto the iPod).

Dunadan

I've been a hardcore Winamp fan for years, and i didnt even download iTunes until i read the scheme nogromme put together and realized the awesome potential of these psuedo-random smartlists.

Noobie question: When i have any playlist (smart or regular) and i play it on shuffle, does it play 'randomly' within that playlist, or is it giving preference to frequently-played and highy-rated songs?

Thanks,
Dunadan who is waiting for the Mini to come in the mail

rewind

I've always assumed that suffle was completely random. It will not repeat a song on that playlist until you choose another playlist or sync with your computer (which resets shuffle).

Dunadan

Another one: I made a Least Recently Played smartlist. Now, ive been listening to them all day and now they are no longer the least recently player. How to I update/refresh a smartlist? Do i need to erase the list and then recreate one with the same rules?

rewind

Just make sure that the "Live Updating" box is checked. You don't have to do anything but run iTunes and sync with your iPod every now and then.

rewind

You can do it on the mini directly. The wheel controls volume by default, but if you press the center "select" button, you can scroll through controls for FF/RWD and rating also. Once you see the stars on the display, use the wheel to move your rating up or down accordingly.

bikepodmini

Your Omnipresent Member
rewind (cool name). Cool. That is great, because I hardly ever listen to music on my computer, and it's hard to rate songs just by the name, without listening to them... I so can't wait... I'm still messing around with playlists right now, so I guess I have some time. Although I have an empty Marware Convertible waiting...

pagoodle

when the live updating box is checked, when does it update? after a certain period of time? when i open iTunes again? when i sync my mini?
another question: is there anything i can do to ensure a specific song gets into one of my smart playlists and therefore on my iPod?

madmaxmedia

Website
www.madmaxmedia.com
This is great, I wanted a Mini and now I want it more... ;-)

I think great iTunes integration like this is how Apple will pull off a flash player...if you are auto-updating every day or week, then you don't need so much storage space to keep things fresh.

Other flash-player manufacturers can duplicate the hardware (more or less), but they can't duplicate iTunes and the integration between iTunes and an iPod.

wmernagh

Ok this sounds like a cool idea. But I have one question about it.

Lets say that the 3rd auto-list (least recently played songs) adds 10 songs that I dont really care for. So I skip them 1/2 way through each time they play. Will this mean that they will always be on my ipod? i.e. will the songs I always skip be on the ipod.

Now I know the response will be why have songs I dont like in my iTunes Library. But if you have full albums with one or two songs you dont like you will have them there.

I guess I could go through the thousands of songs and uncheck the ones I do not like and have the iPod not sync unchecked songs, but that seems tedious (but no more tedious than what I am doing now I guess)

catboy17

What I would do about that is the next time it happes, give the song a 1 star rating and then skip it. Then make your unlistened to song playlist exclude all one stars, and they won't show up next time.

misper666

i think the software could do with an update.
when you open "my iPod" there should be options on the left just like in the iTunes screen (90s music, my top rated etc etc) including, most importantly, albums, artists etc... the same drop down as in your iPod. i cant believe theres no option to delete or just uncheck whole albums in "my Ipod" window.
also the ability to multi-select items with the mouse would be nice

i dont really care for this playlist lark, as most of my listens are whole albums.

wmernagh

misper666 said:
... there should be options on the left just like in the iTunes screen (90s music, my top rated etc etc) including, most importantly, albums, artists etc... the same drop down as in your iPod. i cant believe theres no option to delete or just uncheck whole albums in "my iPod" window.
Well the whole idea is to have what is on the iPod the same as what is on iTunes. So you can uncheck by album!

What I do on my mini is transfer one playlist called 'iPod all' which is an auto-generated playlist (size > 0 where all songs are checked)

So I have a manual playlist called 'Unchecked' And I copy all the songs I what to uncheck to that and select all and uncheck all.

I also have seasonal playlists like 'xmas' where I uncheck all for the off season

misper666

yes i see what you mean, i just wanna keep it simple by not using the playlist functions. i'm just curious as to why the left-hand menu in iTunes has "90s.." "..top rated" "..played..", but not albums & artists. its cool though, ive found you can enter the album name in the search (top) then go in edit, select all.

:rolleyes: ;)