Solution to the EU Volume Limitation!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

penbat

Are you mac or windows ? If mac you need a utility called Tinkertool, i think, to see hidden files. In windows you need to select the show hidden files option in explorer.

penbat

####, reading your post more carefully you say you are windows and you have selected hidden files already so i dunno then. Gets me up to 100 posts anyway.

tore-

I have read this thread carefully, but I can't find any Limit file whatsoever.

I have a 2G 10GB iPod, bought here i Norway. I use Xplay, and it is Mac formated with firmware 1.3.

I even tested in dos mode to remove the limit file, but it could'nt find it.
Yes, i've enabled viewing of hidden files and folders in explorer.

Argento

Works for me....

Thanks EsspeN, the program seems to work for me!

My Ipod is 30g 3rd gen - and it worked a treat!

Cheers

Rich

thepretender

Website
www.teamdamn.com
RE:

so tore seems to have the same problem ...

nobody seems to have a solution for us poor guys ... ;(

i am absolutely sure that WINDOWS is showing all (all hidden) files so ... ;(

i am glad that the solution with deleting the "limit" file worked for you but unfortunately it didn t work with me ...

ahhh, i would really like to pump up the volume ;(

Last edited:

Argento

One question, do you have to use this program each time you add more tracks to your ipod, or is it once done, it effects all tracks old and new?

Rich

WOPR

Website
www.dailynail.co.uk
The 'Limit' hack worked fine on my 2g 10gb iPod. I bought it as a Windows one but reformatted it for Mac and the hack worked great from OS X. It's much louder now.

ailean

iPod Volume TEST

Ok, here I go again for the third time, as my original post got merged here and my reworked new one got locked (I really didn't want this to get lost in the 100 responce main thread but guess I have no choice now :( )

I'm looking for some more results for the following test of the iPod's max volume and just how different it is each side of the pond.

What you need is;
  1. The White Noise sample in this MP3
  2. Original Apple earphones
  3. iPod version info (Gen, FW, country of origin)
  4. A dB Sound Level Meter
    [/list=1]
    Upload the MP3 to your iPod (artist name is '1' to make it easy to find), set it to play in repeat, connect the Apple earphones, turn the volume upto MAX, hold the LEFT earphone against the mic of your meter and take an A weighted reading. Next turn the volume down to where on the bar you normally listen and take another reading.

My 3G 2.0.1fw (as shipped) UK Apple website ordered iPod results are;

MAX = 107dB
    Normal (50%) = 82dB

The only compare I have ATM is with my Zen2.0 which was;

MAX = 117dB
    Normal (8 of 25) = 82dB

I should be testing a 2G UK iPod later in the week.

Thanks.

Last edited:

saleshark

has anyone used this solution to take the limits of their 3rd gen ipod? I would love to delimit my pod but i'm worried about damaging it in some way!
Has anyone got any feedback on the hack presented the other day?

mage

saleshark said:
has anyone used this solution to take the limits of their 3rd gen ipod? I would love to delimit my pod but i'm worried about damaging it in some way!
Has anyone got any feedback on the hack presented the other day?
This solution does not work for a 3rd GEN iPod. The 'limit' file is simply not present on these iPods.
Feedback on the other hack (for 3rd gen iPods) can be found in this thread:
http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5306

zeroseven

johannes said:
Hmm, I still can?t find any information regarding 3G iPods here, what the heck are u supose to do with a 15GB iPod with a volume that sucks ? :D
Take it back stating the unit is "Unfit for the purpose for which it was intended". You have every right to do this - it works, I did it.

Buy a 60gb Zen. Not just more volume but better tonal range too - check out hi fi forums for comparisons, don't just take my word for it.

Use EAC / Lame to rip and encode - not the supplied software.

penbat

Fundamental Euro Vol Cap Question

The general consensus is that you can get much higher distortion-free volume using Xplay. So why bother with hacking the firmware ? Anyway, you are taking a risk with any hacked firmware that it may knacker your Ipod.

caterinka

Threads merged. Please keep all this stuff together so that we can consolidate the info. Thanks! :)

leon

I may have sussed what's up with some people (with G2 iPods) not being able to find their limit file.

My theory is that version 1.22 firmware is either inherently european and can't be hacked, or uses some different as-yet-unknown place to hide the limit information. 1.22 is the version that originally introduced the limit in the first place so I'm assuming it was a quick hack to get them back on sale in Europe again.

There wasn't a Limit file on my 1.22 iPod, so I upgraded it to 1.3 and the Limit file appeared. I then deleted it and everything was brilliant and noisy.

leon

Hmm. I wonder what's different.

Mine is a 20G iPod bought in the UK. It's possible the firmware upgrade didn't do something it was meant to; I'm running Linux so I just copied the new firmware on with dd (following the instructions in the gnupod documentation if anyone needs to know) rather than using the proper update program. Having finished the update, my SysInfo file still doesn't have a RegionCode in it.

thepretender

Website
www.teamdamn.com
sysinfo file

my 2G 10GB also didn't have a limit and a region code in the sys file ...

i just inserted the US code ... i don't know whether it worked or not .. can't really tell u iff it made a difference ... someone just mentioned the placebo effect ... i also think it is louder now ... ;) hehe

EsspeN

Lamer
Website
www.espen.se
neil67uk said:
So is Esspen's prog the same as Xplay ?
Hey!

My program does the same as xplay, turn the volume up for us unlucky ppl having a restricted volume.

Since xplay cost money, i decided to make a freeware, but it only has that feature.

I use ephod and my tool.

Its a beta, but got a lot of nice feedback, will improve it and release it as final this week .

Try it at;

http://www.ringom.no/espen/ipod/

Thnx for good feedback all of u.